Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Take them BACK. 12 month warranty. Complain to the employees at Apple or picket the store, crying here won't fix anything.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Never, ever had a broken cable since having an iPhone or any other devices. Bearing in mind, I've had every single iPhone.

Just don't treat it like ****, bend it when taking it out and all that. Just be gentle with it and it's fine.

i had one break on me recently and quit working. I am very careful with everything i own but these cables are crap. I use my phone in my car for music and my phone sits in the cup holder that sits up above where the usb cable is plugged in. Bc it's not a straight across connection the cable bends while the phone sits in the cup holder. Has nothing to do with handling the cable. Any kind of regular use outside of a straight across connection will break these cables. My wifes phone is starting to have the same problem in her car.

When I was at the apple store this weekend i took the cable with me. They wanted to make me wait 30-60 minutes for a genius to look at it and would not just replace the cable right then and there.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Only sure way to bring about change.

FWIW... Aside from a MagSafe with a stuck pin, I've never had a cable fail out of (at least) 15 Apple devices I've owned and used personally over the past 10+ years. My wife on the other hand, who sees no problem bending the cables at tight angles and whatnot, has had several fail in similar fashion to the examples in this thread. In dealing with both hers and hundreds (thousands?) of customers Macs/iDevices I'm definitely of the mindset that this is almost always due to mishandling.

Other food for thought. Buy third party, MFi (Apple's certification) certified, cables. They are often a good deal cheaper and sometimes a bit bulkier / more resistant to wear & tear. A good example is Monoprice's MFi Lightning cables - Less than $10 for a 3' cable

Last edited:

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
rather than spending $20+ on USB cables...

just buy the Lightning to Micro USB adaptor..

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter

it's $20 but... it'll never break..

you can buy TONS of generic Micro USB Cables for cheap.. they're a lot stronger than Apple cables..

Good luck guys

sounds good and all, but when you have a ton of cables that you use around the house and in both cars...it becomes expensive!

We have 1 in the TV room, 1 in the kitchen, 2 in the bedroom, and 1 in each car. be $126 worth of adapters

redshadow

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
i had one break on me recently and quit working. I am very careful with everything i own but these cables are crap. I use my phone in my car for music and my phone sits in the cup holder that sits up above where the usb cable is plugged in. Bc it's not a straight across connection the cable bends while the phone sits in the cup holder. Has nothing to do with handling the cable. Any kind of regular use outside of a straight across connection will break these cables. My wifes phone is starting to have the same problem in her car.

When I was at the apple store this weekend i took the cable with me. They wanted to make me wait 30-60 minutes for a genius to look at it and would not just replace the cable right then and there.

Solution:

Stop putting the phone in a position where the end of the cable has to bend to work properly.

This isn't difficult. Bending the ends of cables causes fraying/damage. You should know this.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Solution:

Stop putting the phone in a position where the end of the cable has to bend to work properly.

This isn't difficult. Bending the ends of cables causes fraying/damage. You should know this.

you're ridiculous man. so i'm supposed to keep my phone on the floor of the truck bc apple can't make a decent cable.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
How about a phone mount so you can keep the cable in a non stress position. Cheap on ebay.

lenafish

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
My apple cable started fraying within a month, and it's really annoying having to keep it in one position to stop it. I like moving and using my phone even when it's charging. Anyway. Friend recommended candywirez (you can get it at best buy) and it's been working great for me. It's also really long (like 5 feet, I think?) so convenient to keep using my phone while it's charging.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I use sugru on my cables. Does the job while keeping the plug end small enough for my cases

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
My Lightning cable failed as well. Right underneath the Lightning connector, looks exactly like the pictures found here. I checked the cable of three friends of mine and they all exhibit the same issue. Seems like a widespread problem with the way these cables are made considering the plastic wrapping always fails at the same place.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I have 3 Apple cables, two Amazon Basics cables and one Belkin cable and none of them have failed. I use them to charge my iPhone 5 and my rMini.

The three Apple cables are the oldest since certified cables were not available when I got my 5. The most recent one is the Belkin which came with the Belkin wall charger that I got for the rMini as an addition to the stock unit.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Basically both lighting ports and lighting cables were ill thought out.

I've been through 2 lighting cables, and had to get the lighting port on my iphone fixed.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
maybe some of you aren't being careful around them? stepping on them, bending/pinching them etc.

up until September I used the same 30pin that I got with the ipod 2g when I bought it new 4 years ago

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
maybe some of you aren't being careful around them? stepping on them, bending/pinching them etc.

up until September I used the same 30pin that I got with the ipod 2g when I bought it new 4 years ago

A 30 pin is a different cable to a lightning one

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i think it depends on where your device is while it is charging. if it is in your bed with you rolling around it bending it every night, of course it is going to break. if it is sitting on a desk where it won't be bothered, it will last a much longer time.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
Never had a problem with mine, still using the same one since iPhone 5 launch day, yet all these people with tatty looking cables moan they break often.

This, still on my first cable - no issues apart from it getting mucky a little bit.

I've seen some folk who have destroyed theirs, what do they to them! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.