Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
yep recommend as well. sorry got side tracked last night and didnt write the review yet. but im telling you buy it and you wont regret it... well that is unless you have a case with a very small charge port opening.

Right now there is only 1 review for it and that is my review. I got it as a sample for review and I M going to buy one.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Unfortunately that is NOT true. Over 66% of reviews on Apple.com are 1-star , with most users complaining about dead cables. It sounds like the typical user IS having this problem.

I have three Mac laptops, three iPhones 5s, 5th gen iPod Touch, iPad, Apple TV, and a Mac Mini in my house, and I just ordered a 27in iMac and I'm waiting to order an iPad Air. I'm not trying to bash Apple to bash Apple. This cable is CRAP and the reviews reflect it.

Stop with the 'Apple can do no wrong' mindless sheep mentality. It's old.

See you lose credibility when you start throwing around words like mindless and sheep. Apple sells how many millions of phones, iPads, iPods, all of which come with the same cable you get. Are there millions of bad reviews on apple.com? Are there millions of bad reviews anywhere on the net regarding the cable that comes with all those devices? I couldn't find em, and I'm willing to wager you won't either. I'm not saying they are the best out there and I do have one that has frayed a bit, of course it's an old 30pin and I've had it for about 6 years.

I still stand by what I said, it's more likely you than the cable. When I was 16 I had a POS Chevy Cavalier that the transmission kept going out on it..... I was getting pissed having to spend 800-1000 every 6 months to fix it/swap it out. My dad made the suggestion that it was most likely my driving that was causing the issue.... Of course I called him a Chevy sheep and the such, much like you're doing now :rolleyes: When I actually started driving like a normal human and not a dumb 16 year old guess what...... No more trans issues.

Moral of the story? Well I guess it's try making a change in your actions to see if you have a different outcome.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
I'll chime in, I just got my iPhone 5s 12 days ago and my cable has 1/2 died already. I first noticed it when I tried to plug it into the radio in my car and the radio just said "USB ERROR." I tried the cables from my Aunt, and Uncles iPhones and they worked fine. I plugged my phone into the computer with the faulty cable, and it charges fine, but neither iPhoto, nor iTunes has any clue the phone is plugged in. It seems like the charging is working fine, but it is not transferring any data. I agree that some of the failing cables may just be people being rough with them, but there really are a lot of bad reviews on Apple's site, and I have only had mine for 12 days, and am not rough with my electronics and mine has died already. I would normally just say I got a dud cable, but there seems to be an awful lot of dud cables out there. Perhaps there is some design flaw. I'm no electrician, but here is one review from Apple's site that might be on to something.

Reviewer said:
I have now taken apart all the failed cables and determined that the issue is actually very simple, NONE of the connecting materials are fused to each other, they are only pressure mated and these materials are both flexible at very different rates as follows:
Connector Wire Sheath: Not fused to wire or housing.
Wire Jacket: Not crimped or connected to anything.
Wires: No Shield Anchor, only 3 micro-solder points.
Housing to Connector: Only pressure, no fusion.
Connector Plate to PCB: No Solder Points, Only Pressure.

The external design itself isn't the issue, it's the execution of the internal design. Just look at the USB mini 4pin or micro 6pin, they are all molded designs, this is what needs to happen instead of waiting for a class-action.
About 2 months ago I re-soldered the wires and filled the housing with different adhesives: HotGlue, LocTite FlexVinyl, LocTite (CA)Gel, (CA)SuperGlue.
Both the HotGlue and LocTite Flex seem to be doing fine after 2months now. Both CA's feel brittle as if they will fail any day.

Guess it's a trip to the Apple store for me

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I've only ran into one issue with a lightening cable since they were seen on the market. That was by using my devices while they were charging (the movement over time made the wiring rubber loose and eventually break). That's rather odd to see 4 cables die in 12 months:eek:

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
See you lose credibility when you start throwing around words like mindless and sheep. Apple sells how many millions of phones, iPads, iPods, all of which come with the same cable you get. Are there millions of bad reviews on apple.com? Are there millions of bad reviews anywhere on the net regarding the cable that comes with all those devices? I couldn't find em, and I'm willing to wager you won't either. I'm not saying they are the best out there and I do have one that has frayed a bit, of course it's an old 30pin and I've had it for about 6 years.

I still stand by what I said, it's more likely you than the cable. When I was 16 I had a POS Chevy Cavalier that the transmission kept going out on it..... I was getting pissed having to spend 800-1000 every 6 months to fix it/swap it out. My dad made the suggestion that it was most likely my driving that was causing the issue.... Of course I called him a Chevy sheep and the such, much like you're doing now :rolleyes: When I actually started driving like a normal human and not a dumb 16 year old guess what...... No more trans issues.

Moral of the story? Well I guess it's try making a change in your actions to see if you have a different outcome.

I'm a rabid Apple fan complaining about a common problem. Others here are denying it exists. Who is losing credibility? This is exactly why people take shots at Apple fans.

revenent

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I have the original charging cable from Apple since the release of iPhone 3G up until now. Yes i sucks coz it frays at both of its end but in all honesty, as i type this, my iPhone 3G is still charging and syncing with that old ugly and frayed cable. I have newer cables from 3GS, 4, and 4S but i never used them and they are still in their boxes all wrapped up nicely.

I have the iPhone 5 since release. I am still using the same lightning cable out of its box. Good thing for me i guess is it has not frayed thus far. And i carry both the 3G and 5 cables out with me on a daily basis to charge in the car and at work.

Fan or not, i did not have to get any replacements this far (Knock on wood).

And yes i do think Apple cables are overpriced..!

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Didn't read the entire thread but here is a fix to make your cables last longer.
Super Glue the ends where the cable inters the plastic. This is the weak point what takes all the pressure when you pull the cable out. I small note SMALL amount of Super Glue will strengthen that connection and give a longer life to your cable. Kinda an ACA for Icables.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
don't think I saw it but to the OP, did you take them back to apple and see about getting it replaced?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I haven't had a cable fail yet. But now that I have said that, it is probably inevitable now.

I read the same things about other cables out there. Just seems like design failures.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I haven't had a cable fail yet. But now that I have said that, it is probably inevitable now.

I read the same things about other cables out there. Just seems like design failures.

Agreed, i still have a cable kicking from my 2nd gen iPod touch.

One thing i wonder is how people treat their cables that they can burn through them so quick

vader_slri

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
My Lightning cable just died. We have three in the household. This one was the oldest ~1 year. I have never had a cable die on me before so I'm not impressed. Going to get it replaced by Apple.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
the only cable to crap out on me was the original iphone cable. though it still connected and charged, the white plastic broke. my 3GS, 4 & 5 from last year still works and looks perfect. I also lug it around when I travel.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I have had countless iPhone 30 pin and lightening rip and tear, finally went out and bought griffin, rocket fish from best buy, and this new flat ventev color cable, pretty cool and very reliable.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've yet to have a lightning cable die. In fact, I have one right by my bed which gets abused on a daily basis (it gets tugged around all over the place) and that's still working fine.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It's a known fact that more than 90% of the people mishandle their cables (*any* cable!) simply because they don't know how to handle them properly. I can honestly say that I'm probably one of them because nobody ever taught me how to roll up cables properly yet this is extremely important. Heat can do strange things to materials.

It is also a known fact that nearly everybody who is confronted with their mistakes will deny it as if their lives depend on it. Almost nobody will confess on the spot that they might be the one causing the problem. It is much easier to blame somebody or something else. You see it a lot on the internet. People who are asked the question "what do you do with the cable?" almost never answer it, not even when asked repeatedly.

So what should one do? Ignore threads like these. It will end in some kind of flamewar anyway and the "discussion" is completely pointless. Cables are weak things that will break eventually (they don't last forever). Handling them properly will prolong their lives. When it breaks, you buy a new one. If that is too expensive and there is an adapter (micro-usb to lightning) that allows you to use a cheaper cable, go for that one. Makes the cable multi-usable because you can use it with other devices (bt headset for example).

This is also known as "fixing the problem". What we are seeing in this thread is nothing but "whining". There will be no progress or change if you keep on whining; this will only come when you start fixing the problem. Contact Apple or do something else that is sensible. Think. It's not that hard and it'll probably even save your life at times.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Of course, it's never Apples fault.

It's not Apples fault, especially when most of the population probably have cables that last for the life of the phone. I've never had a cable go bad. And the only cables I've seen that look ratty are ones that are like over 8 years old, before iPhones (30 pin). Take better care.

Crafter

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2013
Well, I was extremely careful (because my MBP cable previously broke) with my cable and this happened. And in Croatia, they will not replace it under warranty. Apple makes the worst cables. Period.
IMG_0008.jpg

tburk32

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
This cable hasn't failed yet but I believe the white housing cracked from being bent while charging on my desk and now it's splitting further and further and the white housing just continues to move towards the split part somehow. It actually looks pretty cool under the housing but I don't think it'd be a good idea to strip off the housing. Would apple replace this or no since the wire is exposed?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 74

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
Never, ever had a broken cable since having an iPhone or any other devices. Bearing in mind, I've had every single iPhone.

Just don't treat it like ****, bend it when taking it out and all that. Just be gentle with it and it's fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.