Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Oh how nice of them, I wonder how much they made off of me when I was a starving college student. Glad to see them giving back after being crooks for so long...

"We reordered your transactions for you from biggest to smallest to make sure that the more important ones go through!"

Uhu... sure, not because you wanted 8 over draft fee's vs one from the 10$ overdraft I had. How about you reorder my transaction in the order they were made? Then they get a bailout from the government using my tax money... wtf...

I'm sorry, I HATE Bank of America...

wildcat88

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
It is possible that the commercial time was an 'in kind' donation, meaning that the cost was likely much cheaper and the company providing the donation gets the tax write of

If it was, it would be an "in kind" donation by FOX, and you can bet they would have put their logo on it too.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Actually, iTunes and BofA are contradicting each other. BofA says 2 million (in the small print on the ad itself, and on their website), iTunes says 8 million. I would tend to go with the number provided by the company that's actually giving the money.

Thanks for pointing out the contradiction. That is confusing. I'll await a clarification by BofA or Apple.

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Whats odd about this was on Twitter, a survey popped up and I completed it (which I don't normally do) and it was a series of questions about which bank you felt donated most to charity, who do you associate with the (RED) campaign etc. I bet they are trying to track their impact of how many people they sway with this add by measuring before and after the campaign. I've never seen something like that before. Odd yet interesting and smart on BOA's part.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
U2 were past-their-sell-by-date and uncool when Jobs brought them into the Apple sphere. They're just as past-their-sell-by-date and uncool now. U2 are the iOS 6 of brand ambassadors. Apple's recent choices of Daft Punk, Lemaitre, Justin Timberlake and even that Lady Gaga track were more iOS 7. Some dubstep for iOS 8, if it's not completely dead by then.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
U2 were past-their-sell-by-date and uncool when Jobs brought them into the Apple sphere. They're just as past-their-sell-by-date and uncool now. U2 are the iOS 6 of brand ambassadors. Apple's recent choices of Daft Punk, Lemaitre, Justin Timberlake and even that Lady Gaga track were more iOS 7. Some dubstep for iOS 8, if it's not completely dead by then.

(pats Fuzz on the back)

I suppose you feel better now.

:p

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I donated $10 rather than downloading. I have a no U2 rule in my home.

That could've been $11 to help, then.

You didn't have to keep the song, you know?

----------

Oh how nice of them, I wonder how much they made off of me when I was a starving college student. Glad to see them giving back after being crooks for so long...

"We reordered your transactions for you from biggest to smallest to make sure that the more important ones go through!"

Uhu... sure, not because you wanted 8 over draft fee's vs one from the 10$ overdraft I had. How about you reorder my transaction in the order they were made? Then they get a bailout from the government using my tax money... wtf...

I'm sorry, I HATE Bank of America...

Then get them to fork out one more dollar by downloading the song. You get to stick it to 'em, and help people that need it. Win-win.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
If it was, it would be an "in kind" donation by FOX, and you can bet they would have put their logo on it too.

Maybe it was a donation by BMO & U2 then, raise some money for RED and get some advertising? :p

They would not have benefited from it if they just made a regular donation

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I'd prefer a free song from Katy Perry. Bono is a bit of a dick.

Why is he a dick?
Egocentric, sure, Dick don't see why.

The guy is a superstar that gives a lot of his time to many causes. And that has been happening since U2 earlier days. From Amnesty International to RED and raising awareness to Africa woes among others.
Props to him IMO.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Gimmick

People made fun of Hunter Haye's anti bully song, but this U2 song is pretty much the same thing. While I appreciate the money being donated to charity and the fact that the song is free it just seems like a cheap PR Gimmick - both U2 and Bank of America have more money than they know what to do with - they can give millions of dollars directly. Instead it seems like cheap self-promotion disguised as "charity."

----------

Why is he a dick?

The guy is a superstar that gives a lot of his time to many causes. And that has been happening since U2 earlier days. From Amnesty International to RED and raising awareness to Africa woes among others.
Props to him IMO.

He IS an egocentric dick who has yelled at his audience for singing along during concerts, but his heart's in the right place - usually.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
People made fun of Hunter Haye's anti bully song, but this U2 song is pretty much the same thing. While I appreciate the money being donated to charity and the fact that the song is free it just seems like a cheap PR Gimmick - both U2 and Bank of America have more money than they know what to do with - they can give millions of dollars directly. Instead it seems like cheap self-promotion disguised as "charity."

----------

He IS an egocentric dick who has yelled at his audience for singing along during concerts, but his heart's in the right place - usually.

At least he is donating it. Especially his time.
Most of superstars don't give a crap to anything else than themselves and rather enjoy sex, drugs and rock and roll and screw everything else.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
At least he is donating it. Especially his time.
Most of superstars don't give a crap to anything else than themselves and rather enjoy sex, drugs and rock and roll and screw everything else.

Actually you are wrong. A lot of Superstars have charities that they support both publicly and privately and nowhere near "Most" aren't as selfish as you seem to think they are. It's called an "Image" for a reason.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Why is he a dick?

Props to him IMO.

And this is why I downloaded the song. Happy Bono is doing stuff like this though I don't like the last few CDs, i still own them.

Bono is tops in my book.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Actually you are wrong. A lot of Superstars have charities that they support both publicly and privately and nowhere near "Most" aren't as selfish as you seem to think they are. It's called an "Image" for a reason.

I am not wrong at all.
Bono and U2 has been on the forefront of issues and helping/contributing for several years. While there are other artists out there doing the same, his track record speaks for itself.

Again MOST people don't care or put the time to help such causes. Having someone of his success contributing for so long and actually making a difference deserve props IMO. His "image" has been already established for many years and he definitely has no reason to bother at all if this is something he did not really love to do.

----------

And this is why I downloaded the song. Happy Bono is doing stuff like this though I don't like the last few CDs, i still own them.

Bono is tops in my book.

True, their last cd wasn't that great but that's not the point.
The guy is making a difference on many people lives without the need to and I bet the ones who criticize him don't do nothing at all. Smh

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I love Bono's music and I appreciate the donation related. I am doing the same on DrSocial $1 for every sign up to a free doctor review website. Also check partnership with Colon Cancer Alliance:
http://www.ccalliance.org/help/shop_services.html

2 minutes of your time can save a life.

You would be better served by starting your own thread than resurrecting a thread from February. Referencing this thread is acceptable though.

claudioteri

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
You would be better served by starting your own thread than resurrecting a thread from February. Referencing this thread is acceptable though.

Thanks :) I just post it because I liked the fact that they are donating money for a free download, however I will follow your advice.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
that.

but also, i think the whole "Red" thing is throwing money away, instead of putting it to good use. instead of using the money towards research to find a cure, they'd rather hand medicine to HIV women so they can get pregnant with some sort of ease-of-mind, that the baby's condition will be taken care of.

Great point! Disease, starvation and death are character-building. Without the Black Death, there's no Renaissance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.