Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will use lithium-ion batteries supplied by Samsung SDI, Tianjin Lishen Battery, and LG Chem for its upcoming iWatch, reports The Korea Herald. LG Chem in particular produces stepped batteries that are said to offer both greater longevity and greater flexibility, as they can be made in a variety of shapes.

lgbattery.jpg
LG Chem's Stepped Battery, courtesy of Android Central
"Apple will utilize LG Chem's stepped battery since it offers better longevity than others and can be applied for different shapes," a source said, declining to be identified.
A stepped battery is similar to a traditional lithium-ion battery but it also includes an extra ridge or "step" on the back that increases the battery's capacity. According to LG Chem, the design boosts capacity by 16 percent, which results in three extra hours of battery life in the LG G2 smart phone. Apple would, of course, need to use a much smaller battery, but such a design could help it eke out extra longevity.

Battery life is said to be one of Apple's major iWatch developmental issues, with a report from last year suggesting the company was seeing just one to two days of battery life in prototype devices. Another January report indicated Apple is still having trouble reaching its target goal of four to five days of battery life.

Along with its efforts to increase battery life, Apple has also been experimenting with a number of effortless charging methods that could make it easier for consumers to charge their devices on a frequent basis. Inductive charging, for example, would allow the iWatch to be charged wirelessly, alleviating the need for a traditional cable charging method. The company has also investigated solar and movement-based charging, but it is unlikely these technologies will be included in the iWatch.

Apple's iWatch remains in the developmental stages, but the company reportedly has a multitude of employees working on the device. It has hired a number of health and fitness experts in recent months and it appears that the device could include an array of battery-intensive functions and health sensors. It is unknown when the iWatch might be released, but recent reports have suggested that late 2014 could be a target goal, possibly alongside iOS 8 and the next-generation iPhone.

Article Link: Apple to Use 'Stepped Battery' Technology from LG Chem for iWatch

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Looks like MacRumors officially considers the iWatch a real product at this point. They have recently changed their tone when talking about it, removing most signs of doubt.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Enough with this iWatch stuff already! I haven't worn a watch since I was 12. With everyone having cell phones these days I really honestly see absolutely zero purpose for such a device.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Enough with this iWatch stuff already! I haven't worn a watch since I was 12. With everyone having cell phones these days I really honestly see absolutely zero purpose for such a device.

Yes, and all 7 billion people on Earth are exactly like you!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

Although I agree the iWatch hype is annoying, it is easier to look at the time on your wrist than on a phone.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

Spot on.

That's why there aren't any watches anymore. Nobody bought them, so the watch industry closed down. Look at a dedicated watch forum like "watchuseek" - it's a complete wasteland. Nobody posts there because they all are busy posting on macrumors and android central talking about their cell phones. Have you ever tried to find a watch on Amazon? It's almost impossible.

Ever heard about that kickstarted project "Pebble"? It's a flop - instead of the targeted $100.000 goal, they barely made it over $10.000.000.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall

Please tell us what clothes to wear and what music to listen to as well swampbaby985 so that we may all be perfect like you too.

I haven't taken a watch *Off* my wrist since I was about 8.

If it's not for you then why read the article and troll??

----------

Spot on.

That's why there aren't any watches anymore. Nobody bought them, so the watch industry closed down. Look at a dedicated watch forum like "watchuseek" - it's a complete wasteland. Nobody posts there because they all are busy posting on macrumors and android central talking about their cell phones. Have you ever tried to find a watch on Amazon? It's almost impossible.

Ever heard about that kickstarted project "Pebble"? It's a flop - instead of the targeted $100.000 goal, they barely made it over $10.000.000.

This ^^^^^^^^

Well said.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

If Apple comes out with an iWatch, it will do much more then just tell the time.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

Comments like these are ridiculous. You have no idea what it will do at this point.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
I sometimes feel bad about the way Apple does the research for its products. For iWatch spending this much time and once it is released, other companies will simply copy the technology! :(

t0mbola

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Can you imagine what would happen if that battery exploded on your wrist? Ouch...

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area

1) With respect, you're probably thinking too small if you think it will simply duplicate cell phone functionality. Recent hires, patents, and comments suggest exercise, health, sleep, and mobile payment functions.

2) When have we ever knew that "We need this" before a new Apple product category debuts? Weren't we all content with CD players and Blackberrys?

3) Tim Cook has alluded to your concern, saying something to the effect of, a wearable would have to justify its existence and convince people who have never worn a watch. Only time will tell, but it's something Apple is aware of.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013

This is what tim cook said, that there are people like you and that they need to cover them aswell

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i hope they can get the same kind of battery life my fitbit force is getting, i can easily go a week without having to charge.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Spot on.

I was going to reply to that guy until I read your post. Then I realized that I had nothing at all to add. I applaud you, sir.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA

As I've mentioned before, I'd much rather wear an iWatch than carry an iPhone (assuming that the hypothetical iWatch can operate independently from another iDevice). I hate carrying a phone in my pocket.

rahhb.riley

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
a State

I thought the watch industry was tanking as well. But I was wrong. And so are you. They have actually had record years the last 3 or 4 years. Though I get the point you are making, we all use our cell phones for the time, I think you, and my self at one point, are coming to the wrong conclusion.

There are many reason to still wear a watch. Though it has always been functional, we like bracelets as fashion accessories. There was actually a bit of a sling shot effect on the watch market. Many people stopped wearing a watch when they started carrying a phone, only to find out that missed wearing them, so they started wearing them again with a bit more of appreciation. I think they started wearing them again for several reasons. First, the fashion aspect. It's real, it may not be for you, but it is.

Additionally, people still want to wear a watch because in a business or professional setting, it can be rude to be checking your phone all the time. Women who carry their phone in a purse, or men may keep their's in a bag, find it easier to check the time on their watch. It's also a bit inconvenient, to dig a phone out of your pocket to check the time. It can also be a bit of a distraction (Oh hey! FB and Flappy Bird!).

So I think we need to acknowledge people do still wear watches, and we missed them when we briefly threw them on the dresser and forgot about them. But we did miss them and they have sold like crazy the last few years, look it up.

Also, traditional watches weren't riding the tech curve until recently, there has been a lot of cool functional, design, and fashion innovation the last few years. Up until then, I think we had been a bit bored with those aspects of our watches.

We ditched our watches because we thought, their function had been replaced. Many people realized it hadn't, and started wearing them again. With the rise of smart watches, we will see a whole addition of feature sets that current watches don't have. There will we a new need/use for wearing a "watch." Some people still find there is a legitimate need to tell time on a watch still, some may not.

I interpret what you are saying as you don't wear a watch to check the time any more. I think once an iWatch (and similar devices in the market) are a real thing, that won't matter. It's like, I rarely use my iPhone as a phone. Doesn't mean I don't love the mobile computer, emailing, music player, Apps, etc. side of things. So even though you haven't used a watch to tell time since you were 12, what if it did something...other than tell time that you found useful? Would you wear it then? Maybe you don't envision any other useful function? I do...and I'm sure Apple has some surprises for us.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Can you imagine what would happen if that battery exploded on your wrist? Ouch...
That's an interesting point.

Lithium batteries can get fairly warm when being used (iPhone, laptop, etc). If the watch is drawing enough power to only last a couple days, is it going to be warm on your wrist (or get warm if you do something cpu intensive)? That would be a real negative.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Have you ever tried to find a watch on Amazon? It's almost impossible.

You are joking, right? I just searched for "watches" on amazon.com and got 923,783 results. Narrowing it down to the "Watches" category produces 361,678 results. "Men's Watches" produces 149,467 results, represented by over 50 brands.

I agree that perhaps watches are not as popular as they were 20 years ago, but I think it is safe to say that the watch industry has not "closed down".

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002

Oh, so do you have your phone strapped to your arm? On a chain hanging around your neck? Attached to the brim of a hat so it is always facing your eyes? If not, then it is probably in a pocket.

Tell me which is faster and easier; reaching in and taking something out of your pocket or simply looking at your wrist.

You are basically advocating that everyone should use a pocket watch. Like from the 1800's.

There is a reason people stopped using pocket watches and started using wristwatches.

Also, there is this amazing ability with a wristwatch to see what time it is without having to use a hand. Try that with a locked iphone. That's in your pocket.

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
You are joking, right? I just searched for "watches" on amazon.com and got 923,783 results. Narrowing it down to the "Watches" category produces 361,678 results. "Men's Watches" produces 149,467 results, represented by over 50 brands.

I agree that perhaps watches are not as popular as they were 20 years ago, but I think it is safe to say that the watch industry has not "closed down".

Think he's being sarcastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.