Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Because it is higher at scratch resistance?

The current Gorilla screen is also brittle, they both will likely to break when dropped.

Hmm...I assumed sapphire was more brittle. But if it's not then I see no reason for Apple to not use it for iPhone screens.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm skeptical about the 2-inch a screen. That sounds enormous.

For reference, a Galaxy Gear "only" has a 1.63" screen and looks like this:

Samsung-Galaxy-Gear-and-Icona-Pop.jpg.jpg

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple allegedly has ordered enough furnaces to manufacture approximately 200 million 5-inch sapphire displays, a volume which would meet the yearly demand for its iPhone product line.

Presumably the furnace orders also include plenty of cutting equipment. All the sapphire boules in the world are useless without a way to slice them up.

I keep hearing that sapphire is very scratch resistant but also brittle. If that's the case why would Apple want to use it for a phone display?

For a phone, they'd use super thin sapphire on top of a thicker and stronger and cheaper glass substrate.

For an iWatch / iBand / iWhatever, they could do the same, or just use a thicker ($$) piece of sapphire for impact protection. Depends on how big they need it to be.

Production costs were estimated to about $25 if i remember right. Will it really be that more expensive? How about sticking with the said focus to build great products.

Supposedly in mass production, the cost for a phone screen would drop to about $15. Still too high. However, that's a thick piece by itself, if no glass is used. If the sapphire part can be gotten super thin, maybe it could drop to less than $5 (?).

iPhone 6S (Sapphire) It's too compelling to pass on. I'd love a scratch proof screen, and no, GG is not scratch proof.

Sapphire isn't scratch proof either. (A diamond bracelet can scratch it. So can some fake stone counters.) But yes, it's much more scratch proof than GG.

Using Vicker's Hardness scale, diamond is 10,000. Sapphire is about 2,300. Gorilla Glass is about 660.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
iPhone 6 - Form factor change
iPhone 6S - Same form as 6 but tougher

iPhone 7 - Form factor change, same toughness as 6S
iPhone 7S - Same form as 7 but ???? (My money is on waterproof)

Along with all the usual spec bumps and extra hardware features etc.

7s will definitely see liquid metal ;)

----------

i do hope... and i really really do hope, its either like a thin bracelet or very wide along the wrist... much like a curved phone and shorter. the second one will be really nice and useful.. :D

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
If they really want to go with the best materials they should not use aluminium. The best choice for a high-end watch is titanium: incredibly resistant, very light and hypoallergenic.

So long as you don't need to get a WiFi signal through it. Anyone else here ever have a TiBook? ;)

The current Gorilla screen is also brittle, they both will likely to break when dropped.

I've actually been startled at the abuse that GG on our devices has taken.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

It totally depends on the form factor. On a traditional flat display, 2" would look stupid. Even that GG is borderline. Anything that makes a G-Shock look small should be banned IMO.

Also take into consideration the rest of the watch. How bulky it is, how much bezel there is, how the strap is integrated all add up to a device that will either look great or ridiculous, even with a constant screen size.

If the screen is curved, wrapped around your wrist and the form factor small (basically a very "petite" looking watch), you can still cram a 2" display on there (possibly bigger if you play with uncommon aspect ratios) without it looking like you've got 3 Oreos strapped to your wrist.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
So long as you don't need to get a WiFi signal through it. Anyone else here ever have a TiBook? ;)
That's true for aluminium too, that's why the original iPhone had a section in plastic to act as radio "window" at the bottom and new models have the metal rim itself act as an antenna.

andrew0122

macrumors regular
Why not make the rumored Apple TV screen out of Sapphire?? I have my credit card ready to throw at my iMac for a 55"...

#trolling

----------

Galaxy Gear also didn't have Ive behind the design. If Apple where to make a 2" display they would do it much more tastefully.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
People already whine about the cost of the iPhone. Like there would be a large consumer willingness to pay for sapphire screens? It seems it is not a price feature to "include" for the relatively large phone screen. It is featured on Breitling, Rolex, Tag, etc. Not Timex, Casio, Fossil and Swatch. Even at the small size of a watch crystal, it is a significant cost that consumers aren't willing to have added into their cheap mineral-crystal watches, the same will prove true for iPhones I bet.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Hmm...I assumed sapphire was more brittle. But if it's not then I see no reason for Apple to not use it for iPhone screens.

Sapphire is more resistant to scratches because it's hard, and more brittle for the same reason.

A good sapphire watch crystal is about 5mm thick, so it won't shatter if dropped.

The Gorilla Glass 2 used to protect smartphone displays is only 0.8mm thick, or about six times thinner. GG is also 1/2 the weight and 1/10th the cost.

That's why everyone thinks that Apple will likely use a super thin sapphire layer bonded to some type of glass. Scratch resistance on top of a stronger, lighter, and cheaper substrate.

Hmm. Any materials engineers here? Would a strong backing make the sapphire any more shatter resistant?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I keep hearing that sapphire is very scratch resistant but also brittle. If that's the case why would Apple want to use it for a phone display?

My watch with sapphire glass is about 14 years old, is almost never taken off, and the glass has not a scratch.

----------

People already whine about the cost of the iPhone. Like there would be a large consumer willingness to pay for sapphire screens? It seems it is not a price feature to "include" for the relatively large phone screen. It is featured on Breitling, Rolex, Tag, etc. Not Timex, Casio, Fossil and Swatch. Even at the small size of a watch crystal, it is a significant cost that consumers aren't willing to have added into their cheap mineral-crystal watches, the same will prove true for iPhones I bet.

That's why Apple bought the whole factory. Sapphire glass is expensive because there is huge investment and not many customers to recoup the investment. Apple could use ten times more sapphire glass than all these watch companies together, and that will bring the average cost down a lot.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
Makes PERFECT sense to put it on a watch that would ….. probably take some beating from wear and tear. We all know of our watches that looks great with well made leather straps and then the watch it self ended up TONS of scratches. Gorilla Glass 3 is the NEXT BEST thing for the iPhone 6 - works just as well and the cost is low. Go Corning! :D

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Nobody knows anything for sure, but apple has put a lot of money into the Mesa plant and are pushing hard to have it online THIS month...and with a predicted volume exceeding current iphone supply needs, it all seems very, very aggressive just to be used on the iwatch. If cost is the issue, all of these analysts seem to forget that a sapphire laminate is definitely possible.

They aren't going to sell more iwatches than they are going to sell iPhones...not in the first year. ESPECIALLY if it's just glorified fitbit that shows you your notifications.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Sapphire isn't scratch proof either. (A diamond bracelet can scratch it. So can some fake stone counters.) But yes, it's much more scratch proof than GG.

Using Vicker's Hardness scale, diamond is 10,000. Sapphire is about 2,300. Gorilla Glass is about 660.

Obviously a Diamond scratches it and you can do it with another sapphire, but I really don't think anyone is making fake stone counters with something as hard or harder then sapphire. Most of the ones I'm aware of are Quartz based which is quite a bit softer then Corundum which is 2nd hardest of the naturally occurring substances and still in the top 10 of all substances at this point.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
News flash sheep like companies. Nobody wants to wear a watch. That's why everyone stopped a long time ago. My guess lots will buy into the fad just like the companies did. But once the honeymoon is over people will just start looking at their phone again to get the time.

leeds utd fc

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Leeds UK
News flash sheep like companies. Nobody wants to wear a watch. That's why everyone stopped a long time ago. My guess lots will buy into the fad just like the companies did. But once the honeymoon is over people will just start looking at their phone again to get the time.

I never even realised that I didn't want to wear a watch.
I shall now put my watch in its box and hide it away at the back of a drawer as I've stopped wearing one.
I'll also stay away from Watchuseek. Actually, my wife would probably think that's a good idea. It would stop me spending large amounts of money on watches. That I don't want, apparently.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

I have sapphire crystal on my TAG watches. It's taken a bit of a beating and a few heavy knocks and looks as good as the day it was purchased.

I guess it depends on how thick it is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.