Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Get it now... It's 100% worth it. Plus 7.1 is coming out in a matter of weeks (hopefully). You will not be sorry...

Yes, this. Just get it and enjoy it. Period. Chasing the perfect timing to buy electronics is a losers game. Sure, buying them on release day is awesome but it's still old in six months, using tablet logistics. No worries.

You'll get many years out of an Air. I know I will out of mine.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Life's too short to continuously wait. They'll always be a better one around the corner, it's inevitable.

99% the iPad will be updated October-ish time, so I'd buy it now and enjoy it rather than waiting 8+ months.

tthip

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
iPad3 came out and then 6 months later came the iPad4.
And now it's 4 months since iPad Air. It happened before so why not again?
And on that note: go buy one tomorrow anyway.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPad3 came out and then 6 months later came the iPad4.
And now it's 4 months since iPad Air. It happened before so why not again?
And on that note: go buy one tomorrow anyway.

Apple went through a lot of hassle releasing the iPad 4 in time for the holidays. The chances of them moving back to a spring release schedule is unlikely.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Buy now with Best Buy's sale and as stated previously, 7.1 will be out soon so you should have time with that as well to see if you like it.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
IMHO this is the worst time to buy an iPad. The iOS 7 experience on the iPad is a nightmare (and nothing indicates it will substantially improve in the short term), the lack of RAM is very noticeable and the body enclosure way too weak (the price of being insanely thin and light I guess).

If I was you I'd wait for the next generation. ;)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
IMHO this is the worst time to buy an iPad. The iOS 7 experience on the iPad is a nightmare (and nothing indicates it will substantially improve in the short term), the lack of RAM is very noticeable and the body enclosure way too weak (the price of being insanely thin and light I guess).

If I was you I'd wait for the next generation. ;)

That's the key right there. It could mostly be an OS issue. We won't know until Apple cleans things up with 7.1

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
This iPad feels like an S revision of the iPhone, even though the form factor has changed and its had a speed bump, little else has. I was tempted, but thinking the finger print scanner and any other new bells and whistles are worth hanging on for.

I'm still using an iPad 3 and can't see any benefit in changing just yet.

JamesDibben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
I got my iPad air last night, and I love it! ;-)

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The iPad 4 was on schedule as a fall release but the iPad 3 was an exception to introduce the retina display.

Actually, previous iPads were released in spring. Apple changed the release schedule starting with the iPad 4 most likely for holiday sales. It's much easier to gift iPads when a new release isn't looming within the next 3 months or so.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Actually, previous iPads were released in spring. Apple changed the release schedule starting with the iPad 4 most likely for holiday sales. It's much easier to gift iPads when a new release isn't looming within the next 3 months or so.

Yeah your right I forgot about that. :)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
That's not what I think at all but thanks for telling me that it is:) I think that the Air is an in between model and not worth buying so close to the next major release. Kind of like buying a 5s right now, little long in the tooth for me.

I don't know what you mean but EVERY iPad and iPhone model is ALWAYS an in-between model.

iPad Air is revolutionary enough to warrant big changes from previous iPad 4th.

On contrary, iPhone 5 (non S iteration) is nothing more than stretched out iPhone 4S and speedier SoC. But 5S is also huge improvements over 5. It's all a matter of perspective but in the end they're all in-between models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.