Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesDibben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Okay, please forgive the newbieness of this post/question.

I have been reading MacRumors for almost 3 years now and use it to keep myself up to date on the devices that interest me the most.

I've had iPhones since before there was a 3G version. The only Apple product I have ever owned are iPhones.

I'm ready to take the plunge and get an iPad. I get my tax return today and was planning on picking up the Air tomorrow evening. Then we get yesterday's rumor that an updated Air -COULD- come to us next month. I realize most iPad updates recently have been in the Fall but there is a history of spring releases as well.

I'm not waiting till May but I would wait a few more weeks. I don't care that much about the fingerprint sensor. The A8 over A7 doesn't even get me too excited. What would get me excited is 2GB or more of RAM.

Any thoughts would be incredibly helpful.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
It's all based on rumors and not facts and if it pertains to the rumor posted on the front page it's based on what an analyst thinks. If you need the device buy now.

JamesDibben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
It's all based on rumors and not facts and if it pertains to the rumor posted on the front page it's based on what an analyst thinks. If you need the device buy now.

Thanks for the response. The word "need" is a little strong in this situation. I "want" an iPad. I've waited years for the funds (and to convince my wife).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Air was just refreshed this past fall, I'd say there is almost no chance we'll see any updates to the tablet until next fall.

mintfan7200

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2014
There is allways rumors about new apple products and a lot of the time they never happen .

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks for the response. The word "need" is a little strong in this situation. I "want" an iPad. I've waited years for the funds (and to convince my wife).

Then you can either wait for the refurbed Air's to show up on the Apple store for a nice discount or wait till this Fall for the refresh.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Wait for the next one. The battle will be keeping the funds from being reallocated, but the next one will be much better. The one that's out now just does not have enough ram.

JamesDibben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Wait for the next one. The battle will be keeping the funds from being reallocated, but the next one will be much better. The one that's out now just does not have enough ram.

I'm willing to wait a few weeks but not a few months.

If we were seeing an update next month wouldn't there be stronger evidence such as leaked parts or something?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm willing to wait a few weeks but not a few months.

If we were seeing an update next month wouldn't there be stronger evidence such as leaked parts or something?

The likelihood of an iPad update next month is about 2%.

Buy your iPad Air, you won't regret it. If you don't like it, or stronger rumors come out, you have 14 days to return the iPad.

I say go for it. I bought the Air a few months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. If and when the new iPad comes out, and it has Touch ID and an A8 processor or whatever, I can decide if I want to keep the Air or sell it and pay a little extra to buy up.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The iPad probably won't get updated until the Fall. The Air just got updated in November...its only been 3 months. I see no reason for Apple to rush and release an updated Air.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
If you want it, buy it. If you are gonna wait, you are gonna wait forever. Products will always get better but are you gonna keep waiting for a better product to release? If i were you i would have already bought it, oh wait i did. :p

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
Go for it. My gut feel is that the crashes are due to memory leaks, not lack of RAM. Hopefully iOS 7.1 will fix most of these; that's been the reaction I've seen in the iOS beta threads.

It's time for Apple to join the 21st century, and add managed memory with garbage collection to Objective C. iOS 7 wouldn't have had nearly as many crash and reload issues with automated memory management.

JamesDibben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
The likelihood of an iPad update next month is about 2%.

Buy your iPad Air, you won't regret it. If you don't like it, or stronger rumors come out, you have 14 days to return the iPad.

I say go for it. I bought the Air a few months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. If and when the new iPad comes out, and it has Touch ID and an A8 processor or whatever, I can decide if I want to keep the Air or sell it and pay a little extra to buy up.

I guess it boils down to whether or not there will be an update next month. For me it all hinges on that. Your solution seems to be a nice option. Get started with a new device and if an [unlikely] update does pop up sell/return.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I guess it boils down to whether or not there will be an update next month. For me it all hinges on that. Your solution seems to be a nice option. Get started with a new device and if an [unlikely] update does pop up sell/return.

There are always so many rumors about iPad updates. I would be willing to bet that the iPad Air will not be updated until fall. I have both the iPad Air and the rMini and love them both. Get the Air if that is what you want. Technology is constantly changing and if you are worried it won't be the latest and greatest, you will be paralyzed with fear and never enjoy the current generation.

Here is a link to the latest rumors.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-ipad-6...a8-chip-touch-id-year-129-inch-model-new-ipad

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest

If there is a new ipad air released next month i will buy it for you. Dont expect one until september/october.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Then you must think it will be updated in the next 4 weeks .

That's not what I think at all but thanks for telling me that it is:) I think that the Air is an in between model and not worth buying so close to the next major release. Kind of like buying a 5s right now, little long in the tooth for me.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Really, its a iPad not a car:) Just buy it if she doesn't like it take it back.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
That's not what I think at all but thanks for telling me that it is:) I think that the Air is an in between model and not worth buying so close to the next major release. Kind of like buying a 5s right now, little long in the tooth for me.

I was just wondering since the OP asked if he should get one now or wait 4 weeks for a possible update.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I highly doubt Apple will release the new iPad before fall. Right now, I reckon we're around 7-9 months away from the new model. Whether that's too long a wait is up to you.

Personally, I like buying my iOS devices at launch so I get at least a good 12 months use (more or less) out of it. Something to keep in mind, if you do hold off on buying until the new product announcement, it's likely you can buy the refurb version of the iPad Air at significant discount should you decide that the newer version isn't your cup of tea.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Last year, I was in a similar position. I was going to buy an ipad for a university course I was starting. I made the mistake of checking here and seeing the rumours about a February release, so I waited... and waited... and waited....

Finally I got the ipad mini retina on the first day of release. I absolutely love it, but my life would have been much simpler if I had just bought an ipad 4 when I needed/wanted one - I was actually holding out for an 'ipad 5' that never came.

I got bitten when buying my first ipod about 2 weeks before they released the ones with cameras etc. I was gutted because I had no idea about Apple release schedules etc, so after that checked the rumours here before I bought anything.

The point is, if you want it, either get it now or be prepared to wait until Sept/Oct/Nov and the next iteration. Once you have one you will fall in love and probably be happy with it.

iphone 5 was my first iphone. I still love it deeply and felt no strong desire to upgrade to the 5s, but am REALLY looking forward to the 6! I think in my case, every 2 years is enough.

Having said that, I will be looking at the new ipad models when they come out. I got wifi only this time and might like to change to cellular and pass this one on to a friend...

Go with your heart (and your gut).

wib

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Get it now... It's 100% worth it. Plus 7.1 is coming out in a matter of weeks (hopefully). You will not be sorry...

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I bought one last week at Best Buy. If you have premiere silver status you get a 45 day return window, so if a new iPad comes out or they lower the price of the 32gb by eliminating the 16gb model within that time frame I can easily return it for the new one or a refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.