Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black.Infinity

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
Apple tree-Toronto
While 128gb will be adequate for your needs, consider this:

The difference between the 256gb ($1399) and 128gb ($1289) is $110. If you factor in the price of an external HDD USB drive, which is roughly $50, you are looking at a net difference of $60. Even a USB3 external HDD will never approach the speed of the internal flash disk. Running Parallels from an external HDD will be less than ideal. I've done it and I prefer not to do it. With an external USB3 SSD, the performance is acceptable but this is not a cheaper alternative than going for the 256gb in the first place.

So, for the price difference, I wouldn't even think twice and go for the 256gb. That's my 2¢.

You said that very well, and I agree

Baylor2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Dallas, TX
I feel your pain. I get the "20 year wife card" played all the time. But I do work it to my advantage. I talk about how sick I am about all my friends having big F-250's and all I got is a little girlie corolla. Then we compromise and bingo bango - I get my MBA 11" 256 SSD and 8gb ram.

And she is probably thinking "Jeez that's all it took for him to shut the hell up and leave me alone???"

Win Win for all...

Love my F150!

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
128GB or 256GB SSD?

… I talk about how sick I am about all my friends having big F-250's and all I got is a little girlie corolla. …

As a girl, I find the notion that corollas are somehow girlie offensive! ;) They are at best asexual.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I feel your pain. I get the "20 year wife card" played all the time. But I do work it to my advantage. I talk about how sick I am about all my friends having big F-250's and all I got is a little girlie corolla. Then we compromise and bingo bango - I get my MBA 11" 256 SSD and 8gb ram.

And she is probably thinking "Jeez that's all it took for him to shut the hell up and leave me alone???"

Win Win for all...

It does help that I don't as for much, it's just that what I do ask for is expensive. I'm slowly building a shop of tools, under the guise of needing them for "her projects". I'd be happy to do that for you, but I think I need a new table saw to do it. :p

My wife would love for me to get a truck. She's a country girl through-and-through. I see the utility in owning a truck, but I don't want one as a daily driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.