Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I'm one of those people that never restore from backup whenever i restore/update the iOS because of potential issues in the future.

I was wondering if there was any way to backup your text messages on a NONJAILBROKEN device that will allow me to do a "drag-and-drop" back into the appropriate directory?

Or even a program that will do it?

Thanks!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm one of those people that never restore from backup whenever i restore/update the iOS because of potential issues in the future.

That fear is overblown. I have backups going all the way to the original iPhone and am now on iOS7. No problems at all. If you do have problems with a corrupted backup (which can happen even within the same iOS), just restore as new. Simple as that.

As for backing up texts, I've seen programs to do that but don't know anything about them. Hopefully someone will chime in.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I've used iBackupBot to extract texts, and considering how it works my guess is that there would be no problems simply putting them back in. But I haven't tried it though.

I know I've seen iTunes alternatives that do allow for partial backups/restores...

CharlieOtto

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
They should be saved on iTunes if you've once synced them.
Follow the steps below:

Assuming you've not deleted any texts and that you use iTunes to store your iPhone backups, they are already saved on your computer. They exist inside Home (your user folder)>Library>Application Support>Mobile Sync, if you use a Mac.

Accessing the Library: To prevent users damaging their systems by deleting important data, Apple keeps your user library hidden by default. You can access this library by using Finder>Go>Home, then selecting Command-J and choosing Show View Options. Then check the Show Library Folder box.

Once in the Library you can open the MobileSync folder. You'll see a dizzying array of weird file names. You are looking for a file(s) with this name: 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28

Alternatively, you may follow the guide below:
How to Backup iPhone SMS Without iTunes

Last edited:

CharlieOtto

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
They should be saved on iTunes if you've once synced them.
Follow the steps below:

Assuming you've not deleted any texts and that you use iTunes to store your iPhone backups, they are already saved on your computer. They exist inside Home (your user folder)>Library>Application Support>Mobile Sync, if you use a Mac.

Accessing the Library: To prevent users damaging their systems by deleting important data, Apple keeps your user library hidden by default. You can access this library by using Finder>Go>Home, then selecting Command-J and choosing Show View Options. Then check the Show Library Folder box.

Once in the Library you can open the MobileSync folder. You'll see a dizzying array of weird file names. You are looking for a file(s) with this name: 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28

Alternatively, you may follow the guide below:
How to Backup iPhone SMS Without iTunes

Forgot to tell you that you need to keep iTunes on the latest version.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Forgot to tell you that you need to keep iTunes on the latest version.

Did you just quote your own message from over 2 years ago? And btw the 'file' name that you mentioned in the post two years ago is your personal device's UDID number. Its a Unique ID number per device.

Considering I am already posting on a 2.5 year old thread, iBackupBot no longer works on iOS 10. So this method no longer works.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.