Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I can't even access APN settings on my AT&T iPhone 5. Never have been able to. I think AT&T locks these options out so users can't modify them.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
"Users in Germany, India, Austria, Spain, Serbia, Thailand, Estonia, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Brazil, and more have reported issues with hotspots."

That's because there are no Apple programmers in those locations, or if they are they are in a nice, air conditioned building with a Wi-Fi hotspot right above their desk and a cell tower right outside their window just like the ones in California. They don't actually test their stuff under anything less than ideal conditions, and if they do I can't tell. I see all kinds of networking 'features' with my MacBook and iPad Air in the real world that they've probably never even dreamed of. It's called developing software in a vacuum. It seems to be quite popular these days.

I've been monitoring these threads for years; and if there is one thing I've learned from them, it's that cell service is infinitely better in Western Europe than the USA. So, based on that information, it seems unlikely that said less-than-ideal situations exist in Germany, Belgium, and some of those other places, relative to the USA.

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I've had issues for quite awhile now and I haven't updated my phone yet.

With my Mac, I can only USB tether. I can try to BT, but it drops very shortly after a successful connection.

I can BT with my iPad and iPhone all day though.

My iPhone doesn't broadcast a WiFi Access point. Which I'm kind of ok with since I don't really want it broadcasting at work.

I wish they'd put an option in command center for Personal Hotspot honestly. I need that more than I need a button for calculator or even airplane mode.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Doesn't seem to be a problem with an iPhone 5s on Verizon. Using Personal Hotspot, I tethered a MacBook Pro to a Verizon 5s running 7.1 yesterday.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Apple cracks down on Personal Hotspot abuse with iOS 7.1 update | Apple Insider

Phone owners who previously made use of the Personal Hotspot feature on wireless networks that do not support it are now out of luck, after changes in iOS 7.1 have disabled the ability to manually edit tethering settings for unauthorized carriers.
According to the reports, any changes made to the APN settings for Personal Hotspot are not saved once the user backs out of the Settings app. The problem has been spotted in every iOS 7-compatible iPhone generation including the flagship iPhone 5s, and was initially blamed on a software glitch.

Subsequent testing and conversations between forum users and Apple support agents, however, appear to have narrowed the issue down to a lack of carrier authorization. Users with carriers that support Personal Hotspot have reported a smooth experience, while those who previously experienced the issue and then swapped their SIM card with one from an authorized carrier have seen the problem disappear.

Some users whose carrier does allow tethering but does not have a current partner agreement with Apple may have been inadvertently affected by the changes. Most, however, appear to have been abusing the function enable Personal Hotspot without paying additional fees.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder if cellular-equipped iPad/Air and iPad mini users are affected by this or if it is exclusive to the iPhone models capable of running 7.1.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I can't even access APN settings on my AT&T iPhone 5. Never have been able to. I think AT&T locks these options out so users can't modify them.

Are you on one of the grandfathered "unlimited" plans? If so, when you try to set up a personal hotspot (in iOS 7: Settings | Cellular | Set Up Personal Hotspot) you'll get a message telling you to contact AT&T, who will then tell you that "unlimited" plans don't qualify for tethering.

jcr918

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
Hotspot feature is defective

*** READ THIS ****

I just love how everyone says they have ZERO issues with the hotspot. When I bought a iPhone 5 my hotspot never seemed to work. I spent countless hours on the phone with Apple and did many tests. I took a total of 3 iphones and a few ipads with me. While moving the hotspots failed numerous times while droid products maintained there connection. I recorded this sent it to the apple engineer after a few months I was given a choice a full refund on my devices OR apple store money & a FREE new Ipod. The only way they would agree to these terms is if I signed a form basically saying I would not sue them.

I am on the Iphone 5s and I still have the same issues and all devices have a hotspot issue. This is hardware not software.

Yes the hotspot works while being stationary. But if you go out and travel FORGET it you are going to have a TON of connection issues. I average about 25,000 miles on the road. I chase tornado's throughout tornado alley.

I chase in Oklahoma,Kansas,Texas, Nebraska, New Mexico etc . I take my Iphone and Ipad with me and I am constantly getting unstable connections with BOTH devices while my chase partner never misses a beat with his droid tablet and phone hotspot.

I love the Iphone and Ipad I am not a droid user and really never want to switch it just sucks that apple can't get this feature right. I don't care what firmware your on this started since the Iphone 5 and is still a problem it has to be hardware. Also why would apple have me sign forms saying I wouldn't take legal action regarding the open case issue ?

I wish Mac Rumors would do a story on this it needs to be looked at. I am not sure if it has to do with certain cell towers but I am plagued with this issue almost everywhere I go along with anyone else in my SUV with apple products.

SSID will drop off and disappear and my macbook pro loses connection. Turn hotspot of then back on NOTHING. Reset network settings phone reboots hotspot works again same process over and over it's retarded.

I haven even done a USB connection which does work better but still has issues. I am using Verizon. I even went and bought a Mifi and did a side by side test the mifi never went down the Apple products timed out and lost SSID while driving down the highway.

Here's a thread I created in 2013

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25062130?ac_cid=op123456#25062130

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Does Apple even have a test engineering team that conducts product validation, verification and use case scenarios of the features and usage of the iPhone or Apple products in general?

It's like the engineering development team is cocky and release stuff without any internal or external testing.
Let the user/consumer be the "testers."

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
*** READ THIS ****

I just love how everyone says they have ZERO issues with the hotspot. When I bought a iPhone 5 my hotspot never seemed to work. I spent countless hours on the phone with Apple and did many tests. I took a total of 3 iphones and a few ipads with me. While moving the hotspots failed numerous times while droid products maintained there connection. I recorded this sent it to the apple engineer after a few months I was given a choice a full refund on my devices OR apple store money & a FREE new Ipod. The only way they would agree to these terms is if I signed a form basically saying I would not sue them.

I am on the Iphone 5s and I still have the same issues and all devices have a hotspot issue. This is hardware not software.

Yes the hotspot works while being stationary. But if you go out and travel FORGET it you are going to have a TON of connection issues. I average about 25,000 miles on the road. I chase tornado's throughout tornado alley.

I chase in Oklahoma,Kansas,Texas, Nebraska, New Mexico etc . I take my Iphone and Ipad with me and I am constantly getting unstable connections with BOTH devices while my chase partner never misses a beat with his droid tablet and phone hotspot.

I love the Iphone and Ipad I am not a droid user and really never want to switch it just sucks that apple can't get this feature right. I don't care what firmware your on this started since the Iphone 5 and is still a problem it has to be hardware. Also why would apple have me sign forms saying I wouldn't take legal action regarding the open case issue ?

I wish Mac Rumors would do a story on this it needs to be looked at. I am not sure if it has to do with certain cell towers but I am plagued with this issue almost everywhere I go along with anyone else in my SUV with apple products.

SSID will drop off and disappear and my macbook pro loses connection. Turn hotspot of then back on NOTHING. Reset network settings phone reboots hotspot works again same process over and over it's retarded.

I haven even done a USB connection which does work better but still has issues. I am using Verizon. I even went and bought a Mifi and did a side by side test the mifi never went down the Apple products timed out and lost SSID while driving down the highway.

Seems like you and probably various other have an issue of one type or another relating to personal hotspots, just like all kinds of people have various other issues (relating to battery or all kinds of other things), but, that doesn't mean that many others (if not a good majority) have any of these issues either.

----------

Does Apple even have a test engineering team that conducts product validation, verification and use case scenarios of the features and usage of the iPhone or Apple products in general?

It's like the engineering development team is cocky and release stuff without any internal or external testing.
Let the user/consumer be the "testers."
Based on some information posted in earlier replies, that this was perhaps done on purpose for carriers that don't officially support one thing or another, it seems like appropriate testing might in fact have been done and the feature is actually working as designed essentially.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Seems like you and probably various other have an issue of one type or another relating to personal hotspots, just like all kinds of people have various other issues (relating to battery or all kinds of other things), but, that doesn't mean that many others (if not a good majority) have any of these issues either.

That's the same sort of stance Toyota took when the accelerator pedal issues started to be reported and claimed it was not their issue. We know now it was their issue and a lot broader then they let the public believe.

Zea74

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Belgium
Confirmed - iPhone 4 on Proximus Belgium network, hotspot dead...
The speed bump from iOS7 was highly appreciated, but killing of the hotspot functionality - be it on purpose or due to not testing decently - is a bummer...

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

Users on AT&T MVNOs that don't have "official" support like StraightTalk or AIO have become collateral damage as a result of this "crackdown."

Even though these carriers allow and support MMS for their users, their carrier profiles only configure data, not MMS settings. The backdoor method that some have used to make APN changes to enable MMS has been closed by 7.1, so this affects more than hotspot users, "legal" or not.

Between Apple and the carriers, both can claim the other is at fault, and leave users in the lurch.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's the same sort of stance Toyota took when the accelerator pedal issues started to be reported and claimed it was not their issue. We know now it was their issue and a lot broader then they let the public believe.
I didt mention anything about Apple causing or not causing it or looking into or not, just commented on some comments that couldn't quite understand how people might be saying that they never experienced this or various other issues. Basically none of that means that the issue applies to everyone or that everyone or even most or even a good portion of the users experience it.

----------

Apple is pretty sloppy with testing software in the real world.
Or this is essentially by design, as mentioned in a reply earlier, and the testing actually was done and was just fine given that it's working as designed.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
*** READ THIS ****

We tether Wifi iPads to other iOS devices (iPhones and iPads with cell connections) in our car all the time and travel multiple states with little to no issue with losing tethering (unless they go unused for awhile)....

Really not sure what is going on with you. Could it be some kind of issue with your equipment interfering?

EZimes

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Mostly affects iPhone4

As the linked forum says, the vast majority of affected users are experiencing this problem on an iPhone4 (me included :'( ). The carriers that expose this problem are mainly outside of US.
As an example, my gf with iPhone4S (same iOs version, same carrier) can perfectly use her hotspot. Our carrier has always allowed tethering and this issue started just after upgrading to iOs 7.1

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
Confirmed - iPhone 4 on Proximus Belgium network, hotspot dead...
The speed bump from iOS7 was highly appreciated, but killing of the hotspot functionality - be it on purpose or due to not testing decently - is a bummer...

I just check this list and it shows that Belgium: Mobistar and Telenet don't support hotspot/tethering and I'm going to assume Proximus doesn't either.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

----------

As the linked forum says, the vast majority of affected users are experiencing this problem on an iPhone4 (me included :'( ). The carriers that expose this problem are mainly outside of US.
As an example, my gf with iPhone4S (same iOs version, same carrier) can perfectly use her hotspot. Our carrier has always allowed tethering and this issue started just after upgrading to iOs 7.1

Who is your wireless carrier and have you checked this list to see if your Carrier offers Personal Hotspot?

EZimes

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
I just check this list and it shows that Belgium:
Who is your wireless carrier and have you checked this list to see if your Carrier offers Personal Hotspot?

I checked and the carrier (Wind) isn't listed for my country (Italy). It is listed for Greece however and hotspot is supported.
Aside from that, let us assume that a sudden policy change in Apple or whatever was applied in iOs7.1, shouldn't my gf's device be affected as well?

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I had an issue yesterday. Thought it was just reception but normally ok in that area.

MacBook Air couldn't access the internet. Turn wifi off/on - made no difference.

Located in Sydney, Australia on the Telstra 4g network.

Zea74

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Belgium
I just check this list and it shows that Belgium: Mobistar and Telenet don't support hotspot/tethering and I'm going to assume Proximus doesn't either.

----------

Proximus DOES support hotspot, but whether Apple in all its greatness recognizes this is a different topic. They block features for carriers they don't have commercial agreements with (which kind of contradicts the open-carrier device policy with linked premium price tag we have here). When a device is sold for the 700€ or so we pay, it should come WITH all features.
Kind of like buying a Mercedes at a non-Mercedes authorized car dealer, and having Stuttgart removing the brake functionality. Would be silly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.