Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
iTunes for Android would be a brilliant idea.

Not just a streaming service but access to all the music on your iTunes library.

Make it happen!!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If I want to stream something, I usually use Grooveshark. I think premium streaming services are too expensive right now.

Fair enough. Not sure Apple is going to be any cheaper than the ones that exist. I signed up for Google Music for 7.99 - it's been great if only because not only do I have streaming music - but I uploaded my collection to the cloud. Best of both worlds.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Sounds like it might be 'a good thing.' I'll take Apple streaming over Google-play or whatever it is called as I'm really getting tired of Google forcing users to join google+ and changing profiles on YouTube. I hope (I don't believe) Apple doesn't become like Google. Music nowadays sucks! Many of the artists sucks, their songs sucks…….. and many of us are bored-to-tears of the same ole' thing.

That's called getting old. :p

I've built a large enough collection of music to keep me happy until I die.

And as long as my favorite bands keep putting out music, even better:

Soundgarden (great new album), Tool, anything from Tom Morello, NiN, Dream Theater, Rush, Journey, Iron Maiden, Incubus, Interpol, RHCP, Alice in Chains, Metallica (without Bob Rock), Rollins Band, Helmet, Bush, Foo Fighters, Green Day, System of a Down, King's X, Nirvana, Pearl Jam (Ten), the Police, STP, Van Halen, the White Stripes, Matisyahu, Guns&Roses, Dave Mathews Band...each with huge catalogs, and that's just the American, english-speaking bands.

Ah, the 90s. All I need.

Jjaro

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
Yokosuka, Japan
Apple released iTunes for Windows to sell iPods to Windows users. The iTunes Store has never been a meaningful business on its own---it's always existed to sell Apple hardware.

I doubt Apple is seriously considering iTunes for Android, because it would completely undermine the whole point of iTunes. More likely is that a music executive proposed the idea in negotiations, and Apple agreed to consider it. If Apple does release iTunes for Android, it will signal a major strategy shift: away from hardware, and toward services.

+1 This! I don't think that Apple is considering this either. iTunes on Windows made sense, this does not.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
+1 This! I don't think that Apple is considering this either. iTunes on Windows made sense, this does not.

I think Apple would consider anything that would increase its revenue while also denting Google's ecosystem.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
About damn time iTunes Radio is terrible and very repetitive and it better be part of iTunes Match, also Apple needs streaming service for Movies and TV Shows like Netflix or Amazon Prime I am sure they can get better movies or TV Shows.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
If Apple fully makes an iTunes app for android, that includes iTunes radio, Your purchased music, Purchased movies, purchased TV shows..etc on your android device, Then I will be 100% behind them and Happy. Google has released separately and individually google music, google Movies..etc. I would love to watch all my movies and TV shows purchased from iTunes on my Galaxy Note III in Full HD without having to convert on my mac and sync later.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I have to wonder if Apple would lose more customers than gain if they launched iTunes on Android.

How Apple users have been tempted to try Android, but continued to buy Apple because they have a huge iTunes collection?

How many Android users who already have a music ecosystem would switch to iTunes on Android?

I'm guessing the first would outnumber the second... As someone who switched from iPhone to Android, I wouldn't have done it if I had a bunch of media in iTunes.

We're talking about music here, which has no DRM if purchased on the iTunes Store. Why not just use the "huge iTunes collection" with the Android app of your choice?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If they do offer a streaming service, I hope they also maintain the buy to own option but upgrade the content to HQ music, and reward loyal customers like me who have spent a lot of money building their iTunes music library.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
iTunes Radio is pretty much useless...Every time I try to create a station it says that that particular song cannot be used. From what I can see it really only picks up top 40 and extremely mainstream music.

So yes a streaming service of the entire iTunes store would be awesome, but i'm sure if it comes they will gimp it's music selection too!

That's not my experience at all. The only time I listen to any top 40 is when my daughter is in the car (Radio Disney type stuff). All other times I listen to college/underground/indie and I listen to it on iTunes Radio.

I hope this rumor is true and the price of the subscription is in line with what's currently out there. If so, I'm in.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"iOS SUCKS, APPLE SUCKS, iOS USERS SUCK...

OMG, ITUNES FOR ANDROID?! YESSS!!!!!"

Excuse me while I go laugh.
Not the point I'm trying to make.

The same people who criticize Apple for everything, who refuse to use Apple products, who throw names at those who use iOS and/or Macs, are going to turn right around and become Apple customers.

Your mistake is assuming it's all the exact same people making those comments and then turning around. You're also insinuating disliking an OS as a whole means you have to dislike each and every aspect.

So unless you can find examples here of specific people saying "The iTunes Music store sucks!" and then posting "Yay iTunes for Android"?

DriedTurnip

macrumors member
May 28, 2013
DPRK
But Apple wants to kill Android, they make NOTHING for Android and that situation will never change because of Steve's legacy.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
I have to wonder if Apple would lose more customers than gain if they launched iTunes on Android.

How Apple users have been tempted to try Android, but continued to buy Apple because they have a huge iTunes collection?

How many Android users who already have a music ecosystem would switch to iTunes on Android?

I'm guessing the first would outnumber the second... As someone who switched from iPhone to Android, I wouldn't have done it if I had a bunch of media in iTunes.

There are apps to port and play your iTunes library on Android devices. I just ported about 18gb of music off iTunes onto a Galaxy S4. Have not followed up with the user to see if they were able to play the music or not.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm happy as long as Apple doesn't buy Spotify.

Would you prefer Microsoft bought it?

The problem with small companies like Spotify is that they are easy targets for acquisition by the big fish companies. Someone's going to buy it eventually.

Even if Spotify might not be a good match for either Apple, Google or Microsoft…. one of them will likely be tempted to buy it outright.

Apple is the least likely candidate, why? Because Apple already has the technologies and a mature iTunes ecosystem that mimics much of what Spotify does. Microsoft, on the other hand, when was the last time anyone ever bothered to mention ANYTHING about a Microsoft music service? When was the last time MS had a music service ecosystem that even did half of what Apple iTunes can do?? Never. Hence…. Microsoft will actually find Spotify to be a useful acquisition.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
That's not my experience at all. The only time I listen to any top 40 is when my daughter is in the car (Radio Disney type stuff). All other times I listen to college/underground/indie and I listen to it on iTunes Radio.

I hope this rumor is true and the price of the subscription is in line with what's currently out there. If so, I'm in.

Then it just mustn't like House music then...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think Apple would consider anything that would increase its revenue while also denting Google's ecosystem.

But how does it sell more iDevices? I saw this story on The Verge and several people said if Apple did this they could finally go Android. I doubt that's what Apple wants. That's why I can't see iMessage or FaceTime going cross platform I either.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
But how does it sell more iDevices? I saw this story on The Verge and several people said if Apple did this they could finally go Android. I doubt that's what Apple wants. That's why I can't see iMessage or FaceTime going cross platform I either.

But the difference is that iTunes is monetized directly via direct sales of music, videos, and services (ads, streaming, etc). So when they cross-platform iTunes, it does generate additional revenues BEYOND those who own only Apple hardware. And don't just limit the thought to only additional Apple revenue, also be mindful that artists will generate extra sales, for example the many great exclusive albums and videos (examples like Beyonce's iTunes exclusives to the SXSW vids) that are "iTunes only" can now be accessed through an Android device. If I were an indie artist, I would certainly be grateful to Apple for doing this, as it means extra sales/revenue/royalties for my music.

FaceTime is not monetized directly. Apple does not "charge-per-call" for users to use the feature. Rather, its main selling point is that it is a very useful feature included with the purchase of an Apple device. In other words, it's one of those things that help sell the Apple device. But then you knew this already.

Sure, they *might* lose a little potential hardware sales if they cross-platform iTunes, but I doubt the impact would be huge. I'm of the opinion that in some instances, and QuickTime technology is a good early example, Apple really needs to "open up" some of its software so that they would be embraced as universal gold standards used throughout the tech world.

Last edited:

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I would prefer they also release iTunes for Chrome as I'd love to use a Chromebook as my main computer but the only thing stopping me is the lack of iTunes.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
The Zune software had music streaming long, long before iTunes did. Nowadays they have Xbox Music
Was the Zune ever available outside of the US? Apparently Xbox Music is now available in a couple of countries were Xbox is, but streaming is not, yet.

----------

Apple Considering Android iTunes App

"It's like giving a glass of ice water to someone in Hell."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.