Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Recently the speaker in my iPhone stopped working. The phone was never dropped...no water damage... AppleCare warranty still covered.

A little on my background I've owned iPhones since first iPhone ever now iPhone 5.

I did the basic troubleshooting steps with AppleCare over the phone and concluded it was a hardware defect. They then told me I have two options they ship me a phone... Since I was in a rush I've told the rep id setup a Genius Bar appointment and get it replaced in the store.

When I arrived to my appointment, I arrived 10 min early and still had to wait 20 min to be seen. Even tho they weren't busy. The Genius Bar rep who came to see me seems clueless he didn't even
Know how to check. My warranty status. Then he asks to explain the problem. He then said he can't see any diagnostics on the phone that speaker isn't working. I told him let me play a video so you can see the problem. He then said sorry sir since I can't see diagnostics can't help you. And was giving me attitude to get lost from his store. I asked to speak to the manager. 30 min later manager came and I explained the issue to him. And he said sorry sir since my tech says they can't find diagnostics can't help you. I suggest you use the phone the way it is. Or options 2 is to check wit your career if you can upgrade to iPhone 5s.

This is rather really horrible support and left me with a bad state about Apple. Even tho I've always been a Loyal customer/fan.

I am sure what to do in this case?

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Call Apple and complain about the store.

Nothing about what you stated here sounds like Apple policy. For the record, I imagine there are things that one could do to a speak that wouldn't show up on a software diagnostic at all. Their apparent grounds for denying you service are ridiculous. Telling you just to try and upgrade is equally ridiculous.

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007

Nothing about what you stated here sounds like Apple policy. For the record, I imagine there are things that one could do to a speak that wouldn't show up on a software diagnostic at all. Their apparent grounds for denying you service are ridiculous. Telling you just to try and upgrade is equally ridiculous.

Where should I complain? I wish I an idiot because to be honest I've worked with Apple before and they been great. Is this the new apple sine Timmy took over?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Been there myself... Best thing to do is call Apple Support..they're more often than not easier to deal with.. You could also try a different Apple store, if one is within driveable distance.

Some reps walk around with a stick up their rear...just ignore, but don't give up!

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
This happened to a girl in my work.

The sleep wake button died on her iPhone 5, still under warranty, and when he took it in the Genius told her that the diagnostics came back saying the button is fine.

She argued that the button physically did not work and showed them but they said the diagnostics said the phone was fine so there was no basis for a warranty replacement/repair.

So she paid the fee to have the phone replaced, think it was almost £200.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Where should I complain? I wish I an idiot because to be honest I've worked with Apple before and they been great. Is this the new apple sine Timmy took over?

Nah...it's just one bad Apple ....rep in the bunch! 9/10 times the experience is very pleasant and in the customer's favor.

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Nah...it's just one bad Apple ....rep in the bunch! 9/10 times the experience is very pleasant and in the customer's favor.
The rep might have been bad.. Why didn't the store manager
Make things right?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bummers on the bad experience, its the polar opposite of what my wife and I experienced when she was having issues with her phone. I think the bad experience is more of an aberration then the norm, but it still bites to go through it

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Any chance this was the Walt Whitman mall Apple store on Long Island? They are the worst.

Crowordove

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2014
Really bad experience with Apple store iPhone support

As a resident blue shirt in a store I can personally say that diagnostics have no bearing on physical issues. Yes we should run them but if there is no sound from a speaker then through process of elimination, if we can deem it not to be software related, we do a repair. Same with a sleep wake button as mentioned above. I'm sorry for those experiences as they are definitely not the norm. I would highly recommend you give applecare a call so that someone resolves the issue for you in a meaningful way and not a "I just want you to leave" manner.

Last edited:

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I've had a phone battery die in the warranty period and applecare said to bring it in store and swap it out. When i tried the store genius said they would change the battery ant not give me a new one. I didn't argue this as it seemed to fix the problem. Brought it home and noticed dots all over the screen. Called applecare again and they said that the genius must have damaged the screen and this time a new phone was in order. Went back and told them the complete store and the genius now said they wouldn't change the phone, just the screen. This time I was not going to have them give me a hacked up iphone so I told them about the applecare case and how they are going to change the phone. The genius said it isn't their policy and pretty much change the screen or nothing. I asked to speak to the manager and he said the manager isn't in charge of them. Finally, let him know that either he calls applecare and listen to their instructions or i would and not leave the store until they spoke to them. After 20 minutes the genius returend and said there was a "miscommunication" between them and apple care and I was handed a new phone. If you are in the right don't just accept what the employee tells you. Make sure they check the case number and speak with applecare.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012

I've noticed a difference at Apple store since the changing of the guard. The change is not positive.

Hope you get the issue resolved.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Problems existed before and problems will exist in the future. It's human behavior--there will always be some bad apples in a bunch (as someone else made the analogy/pun), sometimes even a few in a row, no matter how good the business itself is or who is running it. This isn't really anything new or unusual.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Problems existed before and problems will exist in the future. It's human behavior--there will always be some bad apples in a bunch (as someone else made the analogy/pun), sometimes even a few in a row, no matter how good the business itself is or who is running it. This isn't really anything new or unusual.

I agree. There have always been issues like this and there always will be.

I've had a poor experience in one of the Apple stores near me, I think it was 2009. The genius and the manager refused to perform a repair covered under a warranty extension. If I recall correctly, their excuse was that my MBP was out of warranty(never mind the fact that the repair was a warranty extension for a know defect on the older MagSafe adapters and within the extended repair period).

I took down the names of the manager and genius and called AppleCare. They offered to send me a replacement part and a pre-paid return label.

It took an extra day or two but the problem was resolved. I've gone back to that Apple store a few times, it's where I've bought two iPhones, and quite a few other accessories.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I've noticed a teleshopping style attempt at brainwashing at Apple retail. I don't care for that approach. Previously the store explained things so that I wanted them. Now I am trying to politely extricate myself from the conversation.

I have not had a hardware defect so I cannot speak to that. Well, actually I had one hardware defect and stood my ground when a cadre of trainers tried to convince me there was nothing wrong with the device.

The trainers were so much into the nothing wrong, it's your home WiFi, you must buy new immediately that they failed to realize I was in the 14 day return period.

When I said I was in the return period they changed the game plan. New story was an online purchase cannot be returned at brick and mortar.

I was tired of the silly game and walked them to one of the Macs. Went to apple.com and showed the policy that online purchases can be returned in a retail store.

The kicker is that I wanted the device. I had no plans to leave with the cash. The item was exchanged because it had connectivity issues.

Lots of time wasted on a customer who wanted the item but an item that functioned as it should. Never got to the genius bar. The hard sell of AE was conducted by one to one trainers.

There have been changes not for the better in my experience.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Recently the speaker in my iPhone stopped working. The phone was never dropped...no water damage... AppleCare warranty still covered.

A little on my background I've owned iPhones since first iPhone ever now iPhone 5.

I did the basic troubleshooting steps with AppleCare over the phone and concluded it was a hardware defect. They then told me I have two options they ship me a phone... Since I was in a rush I've told the rep id setup a Genius Bar appointment and get it replaced in the store.

When I arrived to my appointment, I arrived 10 min early and still had to wait 20 min to be seen. Even tho they weren't busy. The Genius Bar rep who came to see me seems clueless he didn't even
Know how to check. My warranty status. Then he asks to explain the problem. He then said he can't see any diagnostics on the phone that speaker isn't working. I told him let me play a video so you can see the problem. He then said sorry sir since I can't see diagnostics can't help you. And was giving me attitude to get lost from his store. I asked to speak to the manager. 30 min later manager came and I explained the issue to him. And he said sorry sir since my tech says they can't find diagnostics can't help you. I suggest you use the phone the way it is. Or options 2 is to check wit your career if you can upgrade to iPhone 5s.

This is rather really horrible support and left me with a bad state about Apple. Even tho I've always been a Loyal customer/fan.

I am sure what to do in this case?

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing this story. Any Apple store I've ever gone into, and I've been in at least a dozen different ones, I can't even make it to the front counter without being approached by 1 or more employees trying to help. I would say that happens about 80% of the time. I've had a couple of Genius Bar appointments that I had to wait a while for because they were busy, but you waited 30 min. to speak to a manager when they already knew you were unhappy? Plus you have AppleCare? Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

Are you sure we aren't talking about Best Buy?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I'm no sure which is worse: Obvious trolling or the posters who insist the OP is lying. Last time I checked this was called MacRumors COMMUNITY. Let's try to act like it every once in a while.

abecker

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing this story. Any Apple store I've ever gone into, and I've been in at least a dozen different ones, I can't even make it to the front counter without being approached by 1 or more employees trying to help. I would say that happens about 80% of the time. I've had a couple of Genius Bar appointments that I had to wait a while for because they were busy, but you waited 30 min. to speak to a manager when they already knew you were unhappy? Plus you have AppleCare? Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

Are you sure we aren't talking about Best Buy?

Not related to this but I've had situations where I've felt like I was ignored at the Apple Store. Given they were busy, but they don't always jump on you when you get there.

That's why I buy my phones online now.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Absolutely agree with you.

Call Apple and complain about that horrible customer support. Totally against Apple's policy ...

----------

Apple has nothing to do with what happened to you ... It was the store.
I'm sure Apple will treat you properly after a phone call.

----------

This happened to a girl in my work.

The sleep wake button died on her iPhone 5, still under warranty, and when he took it in the Genius told her that the diagnostics came back saying the button is fine.

She argued that the button physically did not work and showed them but they said the diagnostics said the phone was fine so there was no basis for a warranty replacement/repair.

So she paid the fee to have the phone replaced, think it was almost £200.
Sadly, idiots exists all over the world ...:rolleyes:

----------

I've noticed a difference at Apple store since the changing of the guard. The change is not positive.

Hope you get the issue resolved.
It's very naive to think this has anything to do with Tim cook .....

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Guys you can refuse to believe it. But I am shocked. Apple store used to be amazing. That's why I taught maybe the new change in leaders at Apple caused it to go down the brain. Most stores here in Canada have bad customer service these days or horrible pre sale assistance. Working in the IT field I know a few things about computers/electronics. People refuse to believe. But I challenge them to visit my local Toronto Apple store or any other big chain store and see for them self. Apple store was one of the best places to visit for customer service. Now they seem to have dropped.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Guys you can refuse to believe it. But I am shocked. Apple store used to be amazing. That's why I taught maybe the new change in leaders at Apple caused it to go down the brain. Most stores here in Canada have bad customer service these days or horrible pre sale assistance. Working in the IT field I know a few things about computers/electronics. People refuse to believe. But I challenge them to visit my local Toronto Apple store or any other big chain store and see for them self. Apple store was one of the best places to visit for customer service. Now they seem to have dropped.

It is still the same in almost every Apple store ... You were just unlucky.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

There are 423 stores. How could you possibly know customer service in all of these 423 stores are less than amazing (as you imply)? It's certainly possible in any retail operation a few bad bananas sneak into the bunch. I'm certain this was the case with Apple in the past. It's the case now, and it will be the case in the future.

But making a sweeping generalization out of how many stores, how many posts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.