Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
the scene where he meets Jonny Ive and the light seems to be emitting from behind Jobs making him look celestial is quite ridiculous

(disclaimer: had a few beers while watching so recollection may not be top notch, but I do know it was ridiculous)

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I did watch it. I'm not a fan of Kutcher myself, but he did a good impersonation of Jobs. The movie sucked because of the script and the direction.

I disagree. Ashton Kutcher looked the part and had many Steve Jobs mannerisms, but the main character trait of Steve Jobs is his passion. I did not see 'passion' in his acting, but just acting.

He wasn't horrible by any means. He was passable, but not great. I agree that it wasn't his fault for the movie to suck - it was mostly the script and the directing.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I've heard this is awful - anyone care to say why

It's cool to say its awful.

It's certainly not an art piece like The Social Network. It's not a great movie. Kutcher does a good job playing Jobs, and a lot of scenes ring true. The scenes about the garage days with the Apple I and Apple II are especially good.

The only truly terrible part is the corny as all get out Jony Ive scene, where Giles Matthey does a spot-on rendition of one of those Apple keynote promotional videos instead of a human being.

I would add you will *not* be better off for not having watched it, if you go that route. You'll just be succumbing to MacRumors Forums groupthink.

Last edited:

techweenie

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
West LA
I've stayed off the Jobs merchandising bandwagon. Haven't read the bio; haven't seen a movie. I worked extensively with Steve in 1977 and my assumption is that it's unlikely anyone coming along 30+ years later got it right.

It has been interesting to see a real person I knew for so long turn into a myth.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Without doubt, these kinds of films are not 100% true, with some facts twisted, including 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'.
I don't know why, but I still prefer 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' to 'Jobs'.

PoSV is great, and I prefer it overall. One thing I preferred in Jobs, however, was that it shows a more realistic depiction of the Mac team, with actual people depicted. PoSV uses archetypal replacements for people who *look* like Burrell Smith, etc, but aren't.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
I still do not understand all the hate...it was not bad at all. Sure some aspects might have been portrayed better but (from what I know) most events were fairly accurate, by Hollywood standards anyways.

Kutcher did a decent job as well...at least better than I expected.

While I definitely prefer Pirates of Silicon Valley, I enjoyed this one as well and watched it twice. I'll take any movie I can get that highlights this era over nothing...as long as it's not complete *****.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Ehh, is Netflix broke like Blockbuster now? How about about spending some customer money and get some better Anime, Horror, Sci-Fi and Foreign movies already.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Ehh, is Netflix broke like Blockbuster now? How about about spending some customer money and get some better Anime, Horror, Sci-Fi and Foreign movies already.

Netflix streaming has always been a wasteland, so I'm not sure what Golden Age you are misremembering. Seeing a reasonably recent movie show up is always welcome.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Can't find it on UK Netflix or iTunes. It never saw a cinema release in the UK either, as far as I am aware.

Anyone know any better? Anyone know how I can watch this legally in the UK (without going to TOO much effort because I'm not THAT bothered, really)?

SL

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
The conditions upon which I will watch this movie:
1) I'm bedridden and so weak I can't reach the remote or cry out for help.
2) I've been kidnapped and I'm being forced to watch it with my eyes taped open.
3) A dastardly villan has placed a weapon of mass destruction in an undisclosed location and the only clue they gave to finding it is in this movie.
So thanks Netflix, but no thanks.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
You'll never find a Biopic movie where all the people impersonated in it approve the nature of the incidents, it's impossible to emulate the real thing so there will always be people that feel left out or that their point was not presented properly.

I think the movie's biggest problem besides the improper presentation of events and not getting thumbs of approval from Woz, is the choice of lead actor, Ashton may look like young Steve Jobs but he overplayed his role to an extent some scenes were awful to watch because it was pure imitation. Jobs according to many sources was a difficult person to figure out, the movie did not crack his personality in a way that makes him relatable on the big screen. I had more fun reading Steve Jobs Bio by Walter Isaacson than watching 'Jobs' the movie.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The conditions upon which I will watch this movie:
1) I'm bedridden and so weak I can't reach the remote or cry out for help.
2) I've been kidnapped and I'm being forced to watch it with my eyes taped open.
3) A dastardly villan has placed a weapon of mass destruction in an undisclosed location and the only clue they gave to finding it is in this movie.
So thanks Netflix, but no thanks.

Agree, Woz was terrible in that movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.