Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilface

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm traveling abroad next week, and I would like to keep in touch with a few people during my travels. My question is, if my iPhone is in Airplane mode, do iMessages still work IF I have access to wifi?

Obviously, if I have no wifi access I'm assuming that doesn't work.

Thanks!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Keep in mind that turning on Airplane mode disables GPS. It's annoying as hell if you want to use Maps.

The best way to prevent all cellular communication is to set a SIM PIN, reboot your phone, and just not enter the PIN. Cellular radio will stay completely off, but you will still have Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth. Another plus is if your phone is stolen they can't do anything on your cellular account with your SIM card!

Just don't forget the PIN you set. It can be a pain to reset it with your provider if you do.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm traveling abroad next week, and I would like to keep in touch with a few people during my travels. My question is, if my iPhone is in Airplane mode, do iMessages still work IF I have access to wifi?

Obviously, if I have no wifi access I'm assuming that doesn't work.

Thanks!

No need to set airplane mode just do the following...

Set your data roaming to off

And set iMessage to not send as SMS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No need to set air plain mode just do the following...

Set your data roaming to off

And set iMessage to not send as SMS
Your phone would still then spend time looking for and perhaps finding some signal that you might not want, and some calls or text messages might come through (since you only have data roaming off) possibly resulting in charges. Perhaps if you also or instead turn off voice roaming, but even then it might still be looking for a cellular signal.

Last edited:

ChittagongBoy

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Roaming

Keep in mind that turning on Airplane mode disables GPS. It's annoying as hell if you want to use Maps.

The best way to prevent all cellular communication is to set a SIM PIN, reboot your phone, and just not enter the PIN. Cellular radio will stay completely off, but you will still have Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth. Another plus is if your phone is stolen they can't do anything on your cellular account with your SIM card!

Just don't forget the PIN you set. It can be a pain to reset it with your provider if you do.

Thank you so much for this tip, will convey to my colleagues who travel outside the US racking up un-intentional roaming charges. Much Appreciated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But even Verizon iPhones have SIM cards these days.
Yup, pulling the SIM would work with a Verizon phone as well as far as turning off cellular, just as locking the SIM with a PIN would (after a restart).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.