Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Do You hear only the fan?

In the end it was more dispair then patience, I thought I will never get it.

Well, haven't had much time yesterday - after setting the machine up, installing the first programs I did two renderings.

One which just uses the CPU and let it run for about 30 minutes, the air at the top of the machine just got a little bit warm.
The other one was by using Luxrender in hybrid mode (CPU + GPU), let this run for about 15 or 20 minutes - the air became a bit more warm than it was when doing the first render.

That's all, didn't hear much of the fan. There is a very very low noise which you can hear if there is no other noise in the room, yes, then you can hear that there is something (the fan) running - in total the nMP produces less noise than my iMac (2011) where I can hear the HDD working.

Hope I get enough time to get a bit more "into the deep" today.

I've got a 6core/D500/16GB RAM/512GB SSD nMP.
Besides the whisper of the turning fan, do you hear no other noise?
As you probably know many owners of a nMP complain of a kind of whine noise.

Sarkar

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
Manchester
2 weeks old Mac Pro 6 core had screen flickering issue, called apple technical department, after series of test, now it won't event start, grey screen then start chimes :( said it's hardware issue.

Sedor

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
Germany
Besides the whisper of the turning fan, do you hear no other noise?
As you probably know many owners of a nMP complain of a kind of whine noise.

Okay, now... with some days using the nMP and after I heard the sound-file of the whine noise, yes there is also this noise. Very subtile, close to something unhearable. But it is constant there, doesn't change - when the fan speeds up I don't hear it.

Bazu

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
They moved my delivery from February to April. Got annoyed with all the wait and decided to change the order from CTO 6c, D500, 512GB to base 6c, D500, 256GB + 3TB Lacie Thunderbolt Drive and receive it same day I've made decision (ordered from local reseller store).

Was worried I'm gonna fill internal SSD fast but now I see I was wrong.

PS, AI, INDD, Aperture, Blender + small apps like coda + games (D3, WoW, SC2, SimCity) + all my recent work + recent photographs took 105GB of internal HDD. Have 145GB left which is more than sufficient amount.

Tested out aperture with library on external drive and internal drive. Found no real difference in speed when working on photos on either drives.

As for overall performance in my work apps it is really great. Retouching 5D3 photos is pretty smooth. (i work with graphics, photography, coding). Blender renders stuff I need pretty fast.

Performance in games, D3 goes on full details always 59 FPS, SC2 got some performance reported issues in latest version but it is ~30 - 60 fps on Extreme details. WoW on High runs ~60 - 160 fps (depends if in overcrowded city or in the field). SimCity smooth and nice on full details. Using 1920x1200 screen and OS X versions of the games.

Only cons. I've found so far is lack of Mic. Had to buy external USB one.

I hope my input is of any use to you

Last edited:

Alexis1537

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2003
Paris, France
Folks,

Quick update. Got a shipment notification from Apple this morning for my Hex/D700/512Gb. Delivery estimated for 8th April.

Order placed on 8th March. Things are speeding up it seems.

I'm based in France. EPP order.

Best,
Alex

xlp

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Folks,

Quick update. Got a shipment notification from Apple this morning for my Hex/D700/512Gb. Delivery estimated for 8th April.

Best,
Alex

Good news mate! Happy to hear that, i ordered on the 12th March, so maybe movement soon then! :)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I just got an email saying my order has been shipped!

Hex core
32GB RAM
512GB
D700's

Ordered to Ireland.

I ordered early February. This better not be a sick April Fool's joke. :(

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Folks,

Best,
Alex

I ordered on 11th February and there's been no movement whatsoever. There is absolutely no sense in the order that these are being shipped it seems!

sebisebman

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
Mine came just in. 2 Months, 15 Days - i can't remember to have been waiting for something this long...

Order Date was 10. February. Model: 12C, 32GB, D700, 512 SSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.