Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Hello,

As the title says. I regularly play Command and Conquer 3 on my mac since Leopard. It worked fine in Lion.

Now with Mountain Lion, it has no issues in Window mode. But when I go full screen it starts to flicker.

I have played with the graphics settings in the game to see if it can be fixed, no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Anyone?

I know EA won't fix this because the game is too old.

My only hope is to find a fix.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
C'mon, somebody can help!

It runs fine at native resolution in windowed mode, but flickers when in full screen.

I'm sure it's an easy fix that I can't seem to figure out!! :confused:

proxify

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Apple store
maybe is bootcamp a solution?
if it is compatible with windows you should install windows (xp/vista/7).

Or the flickering is a common problem in ML and apple will fix this in an upcoming update?

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
maybe is bootcamp a solution?
if it is compatible with windows you should install windows (xp/vista/7).

Or the flickering is a common problem in ML and apple will fix this in an upcoming update?

Thanks, I prefer to run in Mac. Bootcamp isn't worth it cause it's the only game I play.

Palstro

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
A Possible Solution

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was looking for a solution for this very issue today and ended up figuring it out. This is a thread that Google kept pointing me to so I wanted to post a possible solution here.

This fixed the flickering issue for me so I hope it also does for anyone else wanting to give good old Command and Conquer 3 a whirl again.

What I did:

1. Navigate to the Applications folder
2. Right click on the Command and Conquer 3 app and hit 'Show Package Contents'
3. Navigate to Contents -> Resources
4. Again, right click on the Command and Conquer 3 app and hit 'Show Package Contents'
5. Navigate to Contents -> Resources -> Preferences
6. Right click on the file named 'config' and open it with TextEdit
7. Find the line "fbobackbuffer" = "Y" and change the "Y" to a "N"
8. Save the file.
9. I also did the same to the 'config' file in ~/Library/Preferences/Command and Conquer 3 Preferences

I don't know if it's necessary to change the files in both locations. In fact, I think I only did it to the file in the Library folder to start with.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: SINFUL96

Sambucca

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was looking for a solution for this very issue today and ended up figuring it out. This is a thread that Google kept pointing me to so I wanted to post a possible solution here

[...]

I hope that helps!

Hell yes, that fixed it for me! Thanks a bunch, now I can play C&C 3 in full-screen again :)

How did you figure this out?

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
didn't work for me but i couldn't find any cnc preferences anywhere either i only modded the package contents inside the package contents

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Sorry, forgot the Library is invisible in 10.8.

So for anyone reading this here are instructions to replace

1. from the Finder, keystroke Shift-Command-G
2. Enter ~/Library/
3. This opens user library.

game will work after this thanks to Palstro's discovery

....anyone know how to tell it which screen to use on a mulit monitor setup? OR how not to have a second blacked out screen?

MadMac26

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
It works fine !

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was looking for a solution for this very issue today and ended up figuring it out. This is a thread that Google kept pointing me to so I wanted to post a possible solution here.

This fixed the flickering issue for me so I hope it also does for anyone else wanting to give good old Command and Conquer 3 a whirl again.

What I did:

4. Again, right click on the Command and Conquer 3 app and hit 'Show Package Contents'
8. Save the file.
9. I also did the same to the 'config' file in ~/Library/Preferences/Command and Conquer 3 Preferences

I don't know if it's necessary to change the files in both locations. In fact, I think I only did it to the file in the Library folder to start with.

I hope that helps!

Thanks a lot !!!
Mac OS 10.7.5

Henningt

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013

What I did:

8. Save the file.

I hope that helps!

Where do you find the last ´config´ file cant find it anywhere.
It still flickers with the first config file changed.
Im using OSX 10.8.4

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004

What I did:

8. Save the file.

I hope that helps!

I am resurrecting this thread just to say THANK YOU Palstro!

You are a king of kings!

I gave up hope on this, and then today I did a Google search and found this thread, it took me a minute to realize that it's my thread!

I then scrolled down and found your solution, it worked! Perfect!!

Now back to come C&C 3.

A belated thanks for the awesome solution.

marcusb3495

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
anyone struggling ? don't give up

just make sure you paste "N" and don't use the default text edit "

sounds weird i know but just got it working on

mavericks 10.9.2 in full screen

memfis

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks

just make sure you paste "N" and don't use the default text edit "

sounds weird i know but just got it working on

mavericks 10.9.2 in full screen

Almost gave up. This post was it.

And everyone else who isn't familiar with mac, I had to open the application's package contents, then under contents, resources, i had to right click again on Command and Conquer icon and open it's package contents to follow it all the way to the config file there.

Thanks a ton everyone!

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
The problem is back in OS X 10.10 Yosemite

For me C&C3 worked fine, it was only in the Kane's wrath version that it flickered. marcusb3495 has the key, you have to make sure that os x doesn't change the quotes to smart quotes. Make sure to reopen the file to check after saving. The best method is to do as he says and copy "N" from another line and paste it back instead of just changing the N.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wroah

Kelvin Filyk

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2016
THANK YOU ALL ESPECIALLY YOU marcusb3495
[doublepost=1461051223][/doublepost]oh jk its not working. bummer, thanks anyways

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.