Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moeafg

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Birmingham
Apple needs to stop making ads aimed people who have never owned a smartphone.

Once you've had 4 iPhones, they're not 'magical' or 'inspiring' or 'revolutionary' anymore.

It' just a phone. Everyone has one.

Use a Samsung phone for a week then tell me if iPhones aren't magical :cool:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Compare that rubbish ad in the article to some old Apple ads.

Apple use to have so much charisma, but now they just come off as another soulless company.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

Once you've had 4 iPhones, they're not 'magical' or 'inspiring' or 'revolutionary' anymore.

Or maybe you need to stop taking pretty remarkable pieces of technology for granted. That goes for any modern smartphone, not just the iPhone.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Compare that rubbish ad in the article to some old Apple ads.

YouTube: video

Apple use to have so much charisma, but now they just come off as another soulless company.

They can still do it, when they're not the super serious "whats your verse" kind. iPad Air ad is the most recent example, had a lot of that old-school Apple charisma with the twist at the end, at least in my opinion. The problem is, Apples agency has taken a more serious approach lately.

Having some fresh minds might help bring back some of that charisma. Or maybe not, we'll see.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Apple needs to get on board with what works in marketing.....attack ads.

I really hope not.....those type of ads turn me off to products. One of the reasons I'm not a Samsung fan.

Apple needs to go back to the iPod days as someone mentioned. They just need to do a better job of showcasing the product. Focus on your own products not others.

I'll be disappointing if Apple stoops to attacking other people's devices.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest

i still get very excited with every new iPhone i get, you must not appreciate how much effort it took to make it work and look how it does.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I find it odd that an article talking about Apple combating the "Samsung threat" is just NOW coming out when I believe Samsung has already peaked as a threat....

The GS3 > GS4 was the time to combat the threat. At this point, Samsung is in decline (preparing for their second straight profit drop) and the smartphone industry is stagnating somewhat.

The growth phase is almost at an end. New product markets will need to emerge for innovation. While there's still plenty Apple can do with the iPhone, I don't feel like they need to "combat" any threat. They still hold the top selling smartphone line of all time and continue to have the best selling device quarter after quarter.

----------

i still get very excited with every new iPhone i get, you must not appreciate how much effort it took to make it work and look how it does.

Me too - I love opening up those new boxes....

Can September get here any faster?

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
Apple Expanding Marketing Efforts with New Ad Agencies to Battle Samsung Threat

Wait, I thought Samsung is just a copycat and nobody really want their products? ;)

Last edited:

Gogh Apple

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
I would think instead of offering competing ads or cheaper iPhones, Apple could stay within their ecosystem by just offering a credit towards App Store with each phone purchase. Perfect way to enhance the user exp. when buying the phone and help support the paid app devs.

I'm sure it has been thought of but wonder why they don't pull the trigger.

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
Apple's commercials have somehow morphed into ads about interesting people doing crazy things I'll never do with my iPhone. They also all seem to be focused on the internal camera more than anything. Is the camera really the thing that convinces people to buy an iPhone?

Also, do they not advertise for Mac computers anymore?

Bingo - I'm not going to be SCUBA diving with my iPad anytime soon....or fixing a wind turbine for that matter.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
At least Apple's ads aren't a desperate attempt at making Apple products look better by trying to make the competition look worse. It makes me laugh and sad when others don't have anything significantly positive to show, and have to resort to belittling others.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Samsung is not a threat. The only Samsung users I know either A) like the concept behind Apple's products, but insist on a cheaper alternative or B) strongly dislike Apple anything, and deliberately buy outside the Apple ecosystem out of principle. Apple is not losing them as customers, because they were never Apple's customers to have.

Apple needs to get this, and not worry about Ads that make both companies look insecure.

Hi godslabrat. I'm 69Mustang. I have Samsung products (they weren't cheaper either. I wish.) I also have Apple products (equally not cheap). Got other stuff from other companies too.

I fall into category C) I buy what I like.

Now you know (figuratively) someone not in A or B.;)

superliu

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Calgary
Apple spent 351 million on advertising in 2013 and they sold 33.8 million iphones during the same period.

We (iphone owners) each paid more than $10 toward advertising! How about just lower the iphone by $10 Apple!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.