Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Hey guys, does anyone know i good VNC app? The built in one is not enough for me and you can't actually connect to VNC servers with it. Remote Desktop is a little out of my price league now, so preferably something cheaper or free.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does anyone know of a free VNC client for OSX I can use to connect to my VNC Ubuntu share?

OS X has a built in VNC client. Use "Connect to Server" from the Go menu in Finder, and enter the Ubuntu machine's address as follows:
Code:
vnc://yourservernamehere.com

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
OS X has a built in VNC client. Use "Connect to Server" from the Go menu in Finder, and enter the Ubuntu machine's address as follows:
Code:
vnc://yourservernamehere.com

Thanks. I had tried that but I get the following message

Code:
Connection failed to “10.0.1.12”.

the software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of Screen Sharing.

If I use my VMware fusion ubuntu virtual machine it connects so the ip address is fine. But I would like to do this natively in OSX.

Last edited:

mr-ska-jr

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
Hi,

I am looking for a VNC app I can install on both mine and my girlfriends macbooks. She is new to mac so I want to be able to control her macbook remotely if she ever needs help when she is away at university.

Can anybody who uses anything similar recommend any apps for this?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Another vote for TimeViewer at this point, its free for personal use and is the best imo

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
LAN only unless you open ports (if you are on the same local area network)
======

this is already built in into mavericks and yosemite

you don't need a vnc app, unless you really want one

you turn on screen sharing in system preferences / sharing

when you want to access the screen you click on the other mac in finder and on the top bar there will be button for "share screen"

you click on that, and you can access the other mac

the session can be made concurrent.

if you log on with the same user name and password that is currently logged onto the other computer you see his screen

if you log on with a different user name and password that is currently logged onto the other computer, you get your own separate desktop

=== your daughter is at the university

this is already built into yosemite and iMessage. she simply sends you in invitation in message to show you her screen then you can talk to her using audio and tell her what buttons to press and you get your own mouse pointer that you can click on and it will shine a little flash light on her desktop so you can tell her what to do

in iMessage she clicks on details and clicks on the two squares to share her your screen

Attachments

• mike.jpg
    mike.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

OneAnswer

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
this is already built in into mavericks and yosemite

you don't need a vnc app, unless you really want one

you turn on screen sharing in system preferences / sharing

when you want to access the screen you click on the other mac in finder and on the top bar there will be button for "share screen"

you click on that, and you can access the other mac

the session can be made concurrent.

if you log on with the same user name and password that is currently logged onto the other computer you see his screen

if you log on with a different user name and password that is currently logged onto the other computer, you get your own separate desktop

That only works, when the computers are on the same network, which hardly seems the case here.
And Screen Sharing has been a part of OS X since 2007.

----------

Okay, seems you have modified your comment.

=== your daughter is at the university

this is already built into yosemite and iMessage. she simply sends you in invitation in message to show you her screen then you can talk to her using audio and tell her what buttons to press and you get your own mouse pointer that you can click on and it will shine a little flash light on her desktop so you can tell her what to do

It only works with Yosemite, thus will not work, if it is an older OS.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
screen sharing in iMessage is a really great feature in yosemite!!!!

its like being on the phone with the other person and you can shine a light to tell them what to do

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I've been using logmein for years and have been happy with it.

However, they've been having issues with Sierra (to say the least). On top of that, I just got an email that I'll have to pay $349 to keep using it with my three machines. I'm sure there's a solution out there that won't cost me that much.

I need a good, responsive VNC client/server solution that'll work on both MacOS (Sierra) and Windows (10), with clients that'll run on my iPhone and iPad.

I see decent reviews of Screens VNC and Jump, but I'm looking for feedback from people that use VNC apps on a regular basis with modern OS's and hardware.

Thanks!

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
I use RealVNC 5.3 free version on my Macs to access a RealVNC server (also the free version) on a Windows 7 Pro machine in the office. Fast on my 7.5Mbs DSL link, low overhead, scalable window, and just works great. I find it better than MS RDC because I don’t have to log out of my Win7 machine which runs scheduled apps at night. RDC logs me out and the apps don’t run after I disconnect. Google’s Remote Desktop is another good one too… if you don’t mind Chrome sitting idle in the background.

Edit: I just checked… sorry, no iOS version of RealVNC yet. macOS, Windows, Linux, Pi, Solaris, and AIX clients available.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.