Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raf66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Hi everyone. I bought a 20" iMac in January, 2009. I've progressively upgraded the OS as new ones have been released, and this past winter I upgraded to Mavericks (10.9.2). I don't know if my hard drive was already on its way out or if Mavericks was the sole cause, but upon install of the new OS my hard drive crashed. I used ideas from Apple's phone support on how to erase/reinstall to no avail. Luckily I had backed everything up to a portable hard drive via time machine. I just picked my repaired iMac up yesterday from my local Apple store, and a new hard drive has been installed.

The Apple store told me that they upon testing the computer they did not update the OS from 10.6.8 that is on the new hard drive. They advised me to update to Mavericks when I got home before restoring from my portable hard drive. I'm currently downloading Mavericks now.

First, is it safe to update to Mavericks straight from Snow Leopard, or should I do it incrementally after first upgrading to Mountain Lion?

Second, is Mavericks a stable OS at this point? I can't help but to be somewhat skittish about Mavericks since my hard drive died upon my last install of it.

Finally, the most important items I want to restore from my backup hard drive are my family photos, our music collection, and Word documents/PDFs that were saved. I don't really care about the apps or programs that I'd previously downloaded/used over the years. Is it possible when I restore from my portable HD to select specifically what I want restored? Do I use migration assistant or is there another process I should employ?

Sorry for the long winded thread and rambling questions. I'm must looking for some assistance and my family and I would love to get our iMac up and running smoothly again with little/no loss of important data and without some of the fluff that's accumulated on it in the last 5 years.

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Go straight to Mavericks, there's no need to install older OS's that have won't be used. To answer your other question yes Mavericks is very stable at this point and they're prepping 10.9.3 to be rolled out.

raf66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for your response, maflynn. With respect to restoring saved data from my external HD (which I backed up via time machine), can I pick and choose the items I want restored or is it an all-or-nothing proposition?

Again thanks for your response.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's two way to restore via TM. The first is to do so when booting up for the OSX install/recovery partition. this I believe is all or nothing. The second way is to install OSX set up your account and then attach to TM and selectively pick what folders you want.

If memory servers me, I had issues with the second one, but I just attached to the sparse image and dragged/dropped the folders from the backup and bypassed the Time Machine software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.