Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Unfortunately, I will be a BB user soon. I am getting a Z30 from work (had the option to get an iPhone 5S, but they are way too small for my gorilla hands). Just what I wanted, a second phone to carry around all of the time.

At least I still have my personal phone (Nokia Lumia Icon)

If your company is using BES10, they could give you a separate private space in the Z30. BB rules at this.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Just upgraded my Bold 9700 from OS 5 to OS 6 and it looks good. Too bad that my micro SD slot is broken so none of my cards will work in it :(.

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Unfortunately, I will be a BB user soon. I am getting a Z30 from work (had the option to get an iPhone 5S, but they are way too small for my gorilla hands). Just what I wanted, a second phone to carry around all of the time.

At least I still have my personal phone (Nokia Lumia Icon)

Trust me you're gonna like your Z30. BB10 is a quite good OS, and it suits well for business purpose with BlackBerry Hub.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Trust me you're gonna like your Z30. BB10 is a quite good OS, and it suits well for business purpose with BlackBerry Hub.

Sometimes you're not sure if you heard a notification from your phone, and you're in a rush, you just check the hub, and BOOM. Although I guess many times just looking at the LED will be enough.

Changen

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
California
I have both an iPhone5 and a Bold 9930. I really don't have many complaints with the blackberry it does everything I need it to do. And by that I mean my business email and a separate business number.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I was up until a week ago. My latest Blackberry was a Q10 and while it was a great device it was starting to give issues with texting (ironically) and there's a dire shortage of apps. And the Android side loading ability didn't really live up to the hype. I still hold that the Bold 9900/9930 is one of the greatest smartphones ever made. But it was time, for now, to get a phone that met all my current needs. So I gave Apple another go and the 5s is pretty much perfect right now. Had a 4s before and didn't like it as much. But ironically I find the 5s keyboard to be really faster than the BB keyboard it seems. I had long held the physical keyboard was faster but not for me it seems. And had some old Androids, never really stood out to me. I was a Blackberry fan and holdout for a few years. Maybe one day they'll return to greatness but that won't happen without getting more apps.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There are a lot more Android apps that work since BB 10.2.1

And BB10's virtual keyboard is the best.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
By tenure with BB ended last week. My Tour 9630 had to be retired as the carrier's CDMA network was being shut down this year. This is my work phone and they decided to only support one platform which was iOS. Got an iPhone 5S now.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
By tenure with BB ended last week. My Tour 9630 had to be retired as the carrier's CDMA network was being shut down this year. This is my work phone and they decided to only support one platform which was iOS. Got an iPhone 5S now.

Doesn't look to good for blackberry. Congrats on your iPhone 5s.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009

I agree - been a user of all iphone versions including 5S. Also used various android phones - my last one was sony Xperia Z1.
Just switched to BB Z30 last week and loving it. It is very different to android/iOS - but very functional and productive. Love the hub, and the keyboard is just the best and now i can load all my android apps as well.

So its not as bad as it being perceived by people

(I do not like the camera though..its pretty basic compared to what other phones offer- its not a biggie for me)

Aguafria

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
I have a q10 and an iphone 5

I find that in general I hate my iphone.

Battery life is comical, yes it has push email but If you turn it on your battery is dead even faster.
Harder to type on. Doesn't feel as good in the hand. No centralised messaging hub and the fact that if I drop it it will require repairs.

I switches to the q10 after owning a 9900 and still believe the 9900 was the best phone i have ever owned.
People like to give blackberry grief just because it's fashionable to do so. Unfortunately they don't know fact from fiction.

Love the q10 but wish it had more apps.
But it excels at being a phone, as opposed to what thw iphone excels at which is being an entertainment device (one that has to be constantly charged)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I would not mind finding a cheap q10 to play with. I had the Curve back in 2006, and loved it. Just got caught up in the iPhone thing, and have not been back. Miss the keyboard.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I have a q10 and an iphone 5

I find that in general I hate my iphone.

Battery life is comical, yes it has push email but If you turn it on your battery is dead even faster.

Harder to type on. Doesn't feel as good in the hand. No centralised messaging hub and the fact that if I drop it it will require repairs.

I switches to the q10 after owning a 9900 and still believe the 9900 was the best phone i have ever owned.

People like to give blackberry grief just because it's fashionable to do so. Unfortunately they don't know fact from fiction.

Love the q10 but wish it had more apps.

But it excels at being a phone, as opposed to what thw iphone excels at which is being an entertainment device (one that has to be constantly charged)

Actually people give blackberry **** because it's a pos phone. Not for long though.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Actually people give blackberry **** because it's a pos phone. Not for long though.

Right, that's why I want to upgrade this year to some new BlackBerry from the Z10 I got some months ago…

- touchscreen
- 1080p AMOLED
- dual sim with LTE
- thin bezel
- around 5" but fitting in all regular pockets
- bigger removable battery lasting some more hours
- charger bundle similar to Z10's
- 64GB internal storage + microSDXC slot
- 64-bit quad core
- lanyard loop
- at least 3GiB RAM would be nice
- waterproof and dustproof would be nice

But I don't agree on getting rid of Adobe AIR (Flash), which is still a unique proposition of BB10 phones.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Hahaha, you think blackberry is going to release a 64 bit touch screen phone this year, lol.
Blackberry is dead, Chen is just making the final arrangements.
Blackberry transitioning out of mobile handsets (just like Palm and Nokia)... In 3,2,1.....

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
We've got a handful of Blackberry users at my office. The company refuses to let them upgrade. If their phone breaks, they can choose between a Galaxy S4 and a flip-phone so they keep their aging BB Bolds. :eek:

(disclaimer: I went from BB8830 to iPhone 4 for personal use in 2010)

169260-blog-bb-bold-9930.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm walking around with a highly mediocre Motorola Razr M hoping that the company will finally let us get iPhones. After dealing with the day to day lag on this Razr M and seeing my friends deal with lag on their Samsungs, I'd rather have a used iPhone 4S than anything running Android. As for BB, that ship has sailed as far as my company is concerned. Break your BB or lose it and you get forced onto a newer platform. How forward thinking are we around here? We actually kept Lotus Notes around longer than we kept BB around. :p So if we are moving off of BB, I would say we were probably the last to go...:eek:
LotusNotes.png

For those that aren't old geezers, Lotus Notes is what they used for email "back in the day". You know. Back when music came in 45, 33, and 78 RPMs and the Internet was still called the Arpanet. :eek:
SR78.jpg

Now where is that doggone light switch?
light-switch-off.jpg

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Numbers just released show that Blackberry 'shipped' 550,000 BB10 devices last quarter, and just 750,000 legacy phones. So a grand total of 1.3 million phones shipped in 3 months. Not a very pretty picture.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Numbers just released show that Blackberry 'shipped' 550,000 BB10 devices last quarter, and just 750,000 legacy phones. So a grand total of 1.3 million phones shipped in 3 months. Not a very pretty picture.

But an internet usage-based survey found a slight BB market share increase in the last month.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Its been 3 weeks since I swithcd from android to Z30. (I've replied to this thread when i switched)
My admiration to the Z30 has grown a lot. It is one of the most productive phones i've had -(I've had many including all versions of iphone). I hang around the bb hub whole day - all the notifications are in one place. I hardly have to go out of hub to get my regular work done. Email and the keyboard is the best IMO. With the latest BB10 I have my key missing android apps anyway. So I dont miss my android at all.

Every time people see my phone, I do get questioned..what phone is that? They're all surpised when i reply its a BB!!

It is definitely worth a look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.