Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max pl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
So I have a laptop thats 99% stationary and would like to know how often to run it on battery to keep the battery capacity up for 4+ years.
Right now I'm doing it once every 2 weeks.

With my old Thinkpad T400 the battery held 70% after 5 years which I consider great, but it also offered the option of setting battery thresholds which even todays Thinkpads don't have; likely because the batteries are "smarter".

So whats the deal with my current laptop, the latest mbpr15?
Should I continue with the 2 week cycle or is there a different method to follow?

Thanks.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
So I have a laptop thats 99% stationary and would like to know how often to run it on battery to keep the battery capacity up for 4+ years.

With my old Thinkpad T400 the battery held 70% after 5 years which I consider great, but it also offered the option of setting battery thresholds which even todays Thinkpads don't have; likely because the batteries are "smarter".

Should I continue with the 2 week cycle or is there a different method to follow?

Thanks.
I have to ask why you bothered with a laptop in the first place.

With that said, once a month or a bit more is fine.

max pl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
went with laptop because i don't use it at a desk, but on couch/bed mostly.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
In case you haven't stumbled across it, Apple has a webpage about notebook batteries. They recommend what snaky69 had already mentioned. :)

Standard Maintenance

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
My wife uses hers largely at home these days, but still prefers to be untethered quite a bit (much easier then carrying the charger all over the house and on the sofa/kitchen island/etc more comfortable/conveniant). However, if you really are using it tethered all the time does the condition of the battery really matter to you? Just plug it, unplug it as you see fit.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Thanks.

Regularly cycling the battery from 100% to 0% is the best method to keeping your battery in shape! I think your schedule is fine.

Try downloading the app Battery Health from the App Store to see the basic info about your battery.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Regularly cycling the battery from 100% to 0% is the best method to keeping your battery in shape! I think your schedule is fine.

Try downloading the app Battery Health from the App Store to see the basic info about your battery.

No. It isn't. LiPo batteries don't like deep cycles. If anything, the OP should discharge down to 40% or so and top back up.

jkundi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
With my new rMBP I'm currently charging battery to 100% and disconnecting the charger waiting till it drops to 20% or so and recharging to 100%. Is that the correct process for battery life cycle. :confused:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
With my new rMBP I'm currently charging battery to 100% and disconnecting the charger waiting till it drops to 20% or so and recharging to 100%. Is that the correct process for battery life cycle. :confused:

You don't need to keep plugging and unplugging your Mac. The battery can take care of itself. Plug it in when you can, unplug it when you need to. Period. There's nothing more to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.