Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
TS, try pointing your DNS to Google's first. It really feels like a DNS issue.
I just rectified a similar case a few months ago. My relative's router was allowing connections but any mobile device that connected to the router can never surf. Only the desktop wired to the router could surf properly. After some troubleshooting, it was a DNS issue. I had them set the DNS manually on their mobile devices and everyone is now happy.

----------

Actually the DNS solution is for the threadstarter. For your case, your mba is not connecting properly to the router, that's why you are getting the exclamation mark. Re-set it up, and if it doesn't work, then try the dns setting.

Like i said, I have tried many things including going to my system information and deleting the file, forgetting and rejoining the network, doing some things manually, and doing everything manually.

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
Read this thread and try the suggestions.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/760401/

Right now I can only think of dhcp. The router may not be assigning u an IP, or your MBA is trying to reuse your old ip that has already been taken by someone else, resulting in you getting a 169.x.x.x address (this basically means you r not connected to anything)

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Read this thread and try the suggestions.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/760401/

Right now I can only think of dhcp. The router may not be assigning u an IP, or your MBA is trying to reuse your old ip that has already been taken by someone else, resulting in you getting a 169.x.x.x address (this basically means you r not connected to anything)
Thanks for the suggestion, i will try what they said to do on the page. Also, since my school got a new router that i am guessing is what made it glitch out, would I need a specific IP for a certain brand of router?

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
Thanks for the suggestion, i will try what they said to do on the page. Also, since my school got a new router that i am guessing is what made it glitch out, would I need a specific IP for a certain brand of router?

you won't need a specific IP for a certain brand of router. If you are not getting an IP while your friend is, set your ip to your friend's (get him to disconnect while you test), then test if you can surf the web. If that works, then it's a DHCP issue (not getting right IP etc)

However, if the new router's chipset cannot communicate properly with your mba, then nothing you do will make it connect. In this case, it can only be resolved if the router's firmware is updated (provided the new firmware fixed the issue).

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
If your school hasn't got any sort of IT help desk, how did you find out they had changed the router?

Barney

I tried what was on the other forum, and still no success. The reason I know we got a new router is because i asked someone to reset it and they said that they don't know how to reset the new one.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you can connect everywhere else, and the school is the only place that gives you connection problems, then I suggest that your settings are not correct, and someone at your school can point you in the right direction. If you don't know who takes care of technology in your school, then your principal or headmaster/administrator would be a good person to ask.
You may not have an IT office in your school, and that function may have a different name, but _someone_ takes care of the router, and the rest of the network in your school, and you may need to find out who that is.

Also, check the network settings on _someone else's_ Mac that does successfully connect to your school's network. Make sure that YOUR settings are the same, particularly, any settings for proxy server.
Best, easiest way to do this is to create a new location in your Network pref pane, then customize the settings in that location for whatever the settings are needed for your school.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If you can connect everywhere else, and the school is the only place that gives you connection problems, then I suggest that your settings are not correct, and someone at your school can point you in the right direction. If you don't know who takes care of technology in your school, then your principal or headmaster/administrator would be a good person to ask.
You may not have an IT office in your school, and that function may have a different name, but _someone_ takes care of the router, and the rest of the network in your school, and you may need to find out who that is.

Also, check the network settings on _someone else's_ Mac that does successfully connect to your school's network. Make sure that YOUR settings are the same, particularly, any settings for proxy server.
Best, easiest way to do this is to create a new location in your Network pref pane, then customize the settings in that location for whatever the settings are needed for your school.

Perhaps creating a new Location would do the trick.

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Does setting it to DHCP with manual address work?

If i do that, it will connect to isp, but not the internet or server

----------

I am in a small school and everyone else has either and ipad or a pc.

----------

Perhaps creating a new Location would do the trick.

I usually keep my location on automatic, what would i change the location to?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For purposes of experimentation, try creating a completely new account.

Log out of your "regular" account and into the new one.

See if anything changes...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If i do that, it will connect to isp, but not the internet or server

----------

I am in a small school and everyone else has either and ipad or a pc.

----------

I usually keep my location on automatic, what would i change the location to?

Try opening System Preferences --> Network --> Location "Automatic" --> Edit Locations --> Hit the Plus and create a new one!

Wait! So if you manually get an address, what do you mean by it will contact the ISP? If you for instance click open AirPort Utility does the Internet show as Green or Orange?

Try setting a manual IP address, but remove the old DNS settings that were suggested in this thread. They may be conflicting.

stuboyuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
Hi ....

Everyone is offering up the the right troubleshooting. FYI, I just wanted to share a similar problem I had with my macbook pro recently, it drove me mad....I was about to take it to Apple, then managed to solve it.

First thing I did was , as above, create a new user - called it test, and then switched user to the 'test' account, I then set up a new wifi location under network preferences, look for my router .. tried to connect - it kept giving me a self assigned IP address. BUT importantly my wifi card could see wifi networks around me.

I then rebooted in safe mode. Restart you mac, hold down the shift key at the sound of the chime. Then see if you can access your wifi in safe mode. I could...which really confused me....

I went through lots of deleting of wifi plist (system) files....after trawling forums...nothing worked, I couldn't connect to the network when logged in normally, only in safe mode.

Drastic measure proved eventually successful. Knowing my Mac could access wifi in safe mode, I rebooted in Recovery Mode - (cmd and R during the restart) AFTER backing up my mac.

Once in recovery mode, I reinstalled the maverick operating system, leaving my files on the mac....once again i still couldn't connect...

I restarted in recovery mode, wiped my mac...and did a complete fresh Maverick install...and then transferred all my files EXCEPT the system files from my backup....

Finally I got back my wifi....

I should point out that Apple Care ran through every option themselves and didn't manage to solve this, it was only after trying every option thrown at me...deleting plist files, creating new users etc, that I decided to jump in the deep end...and it worked.

Just wanted to let you know my experience in case it helps...

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Hi ....

Everyone is offering up the the right troubleshooting. FYI, I just wanted to share a similar problem I had with my macbook pro recently, it drove me mad....I was about to take it to Apple, then managed to solve it.

First thing I did was , as above, create a new user - called it test, and then switched user to the 'test' account, I then set up a new wifi location under network preferences, look for my router .. tried to connect - it kept giving me a self assigned IP address. BUT importantly my wifi card could see wifi networks around me.

I then rebooted in safe mode. Restart you mac, hold down the shift key at the sound of the chime. Then see if you can access your wifi in safe mode. I could...which really confused me....

I went through lots of deleting of wifi plist (system) files....after trawling forums...nothing worked, I couldn't connect to the network when logged in normally, only in safe mode.

Drastic measure proved eventually successful. Knowing my Mac could access wifi in safe mode, I rebooted in Recovery Mode - (cmd and R during the restart) AFTER backing up my mac.

Once in recovery mode, I reinstalled the maverick operating system, leaving my files on the mac....once again i still couldn't connect...

I restarted in recovery mode, wiped my mac...and did a complete fresh Maverick install...and then transferred all my files EXCEPT the system files from my backup....

Finally I got back my wifi....

I should point out that Apple Care ran through every option themselves and didn't manage to solve this, it was only after trying every option thrown at me...deleting plist files, creating new users etc, that I decided to jump in the deep end...and it worked.

Just wanted to let you know my experience in case it helps...

Thank you for the advice, but I don't think I am ready to do this. Also, when i open up my airport, it is orange

----------

For purposes of experimentation, try creating a completely new account.

Log out of your "regular" account and into the new one.

See if anything changes...

What kind of account, like a user?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thank you for the advice, but I don't think I am ready to do this. Also, when i open up my airport, it is orange

That means you have no connection to the Internet. That isn't good as it means it isn't a DNS issue at all! Are you getting an IP address within range?

When you say they got a new router, are you telling me they have students connected to one wireless router, or a router connected to a series of access points?

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
That means you have no connection to the Internet. That isn't good as it means it isn't a DNS issue at all! Are you getting an IP address within range?

When you say they got a new router, are you telling me they have students connected to one wireless router, or a router connected to a series of access points?

Several access points in different parts of the school. Also, sometimes it will say that I have an IP address but it cannot connect to the internet

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Several access points in different parts of the school. Also, sometimes it will say that I have an IP address but it cannot connect to the internet

Any school that has such a setup either has someone in charge of the network or they have an external contractor responsible for it. You would be better served contacting the school for this. Several of your statements would/could not be true in any normal and correctly configured network, something may be odd such as 1 misconfigured AP or channel interference.

The school should take an interest in one of their students who cannot connect, even if they pass you straight to their contractor that would be more effective IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.