Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hi, up until today my macbook pro has been connected to my roommate's router. Suddenly I now can't access the internet EVEN though my computer is still connected to the router. The WiFi is green and says the name of the WIFI connection but I get nothing. My phone and old white macbook (that i'm using now) still works with the wifi but not my macbook pro. I have no idea how to go about solving this issue, any help?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Open your Network pref pane.
Are you getting an IP from the router?
Click the Assist Me… button, which launches your Network Diagnostics.
Does your Network Status show all green ?

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Open your Network pref pane.
Are you getting an IP from the router?
Click the Assist Me… button, which launches your Network Diagnostics.
Does your Network Status show all green ?

Yes its all green and says "your internet connection appears to be working correctly." which of course it isn't.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Does this happen in all browsers? Does this happen on other wireless networks?

All browsers yes. It DOES connect to other wireless networks; I brought it to school and it works there and currently fishing off an open network at my apartment until someone locks it down. It SAYS its connected to my roommate's wifi but connection is nonexistent.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If your Mac says it has a good connection, and you have a valid IP address, and seems to be the same settings as your older gear, then you DO have a connection, but it just doesn't load anything

Do you get a failure message when you try to connect?
Or, just nothing at all (just a blank page)?
Have you tried multiple sites?,
Do you get any "connection failed" or "could not load page" or some similar message?

Could be your DNS server settings…
Do you use - or have you tried changing your DNS settings to one of the public servers, like Google DNS, or OpenDNS? I like OpenDNS, here's their settings, and how to change yours…
http://use.opendns.com/#mac

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
If your Mac says it has a good connection, and you have a valid IP address, and seems to be the same settings as your older gear, then you DO have a connection, but it just doesn't load anything

Do you get a failure message when you try to connect?
Or, just nothing at all (just a blank page)?
Have you tried multiple sites?,
Do you get any "connection failed" or "could not load page" or some similar message?

Could be your DNS server settings…
Do you use - or have you tried changing your DNS settings to one of the public servers, like Google DNS, or OpenDNS? I like OpenDNS, here's their settings, and how to change yours…
http://use.opendns.com/#mac

Yes, tried multiple sites and browsers, pages are just blank until they eventually say 'webpage not available'. All applications on my comp that need internet (like Steam) are all offline because no internet.

For the DNS thing, The IP address listed on my network status is 10.0.0.4 but typing it in the browser doesn't do anything. Just says "webpage is not available."

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sounds to me like your roommate has put parental controls on the router and locked you out :)

....as someone asked, is email working? Dropbox?

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Sounds to me like your roommate has put parental controls on the router and locked you out :)

....as someone asked, is email working? Dropbox?

No email access, no dropbox access, no internet connection in any way. though i'll look into your prior note in light of possible user error.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Run Preferences > Network Preferences > Assist me... > Diagnostics...
You should see fairly easily, what part of your setup is not working:

Attachments

• NetDiags.png
    NetDiags.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,553

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
No email access, no dropbox access, no internet connection in any way. though i'll look into your prior note in light of possible user error.

Cool, just checking as you hadn't been that specific. You said "I have no idea how to go about solving this issue", part of working through for those of us that do "have an idea" is to know specifically what is and isn't working. Sorry but it won't be possible to get it resolved without you answering some questions...

You can sit back and use bold text if you like, its not my MBP with an issue, its yours.

Yes it looks like your traffic is being blocked. So you have a connection but no data flow.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Cool, just checking as you hadn't been that specific. You said "I have no idea how to go about solving this issue", part of working through for those of us that do "have an idea" is to know specifically what is and isn't working. Sorry but it won't be possible to get it resolved without you answering some questions...

You can sit back and use bold text if you like, its not my MBP with an issue, its yours.

Yes it looks like your traffic is being blocked. So you have a connection but no data flow.

I wasn't undermining your question, I was just answering it.

----------

Run Preferences > Network Preferences > Assist me... > Diagnostics...
You should see fairly easily, what part of your setup is not working:

I run diagnostics and it says nothing is wrong, everything is green and is "connecting".

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If you have an iPhone, use Personal Hotspot to test whether it is limited to that network. Most Android phones have a similar feature! If it is you need to look at the router. If not we can continue trouble shooting.

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
I need help for a similar problem plz plz plz

I have had this macbook air for a few months, and the wifi at my house has never failed. Then I started bringing it to school, and the wifi connected just fine until a few months after when it suddenly stopped working with my school wifi. If I go into system preferences, it sometimes says that it is connected, and it sometimes says it is not, but there is always a ! on the wifi logo on my menu bar. I did a few diagnostics, and i managed to get it to connect to the wifi, the wifi settings, the network settings and the ISP, but i could never get it to connect to the internet or the server. I cannot reset the router or change anything on it because it is my schools, and every other device can connect just fine. I have trien many methods and I need to get it to work for my schooling. ANy help is greatly apprecianted, thanks.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I have had this macbook air for a few months, and the wifi at my house has never failed. Then I started bringing it to school, and the wifi connected just fine until a few months after when it suddenly stopped working with my school wifi. If I go into system preferences, it sometimes says that it is connected, and it sometimes says it is not, but there is always a ! on the wifi logo on my menu bar. I did a few diagnostics, and i managed to get it to connect to the wifi, the wifi settings, the network settings and the ISP, but i could never get it to connect to the internet or the server. I cannot reset the router or change anything on it because it is my schools, and every other device can connect just fine. I have trien many methods and I need to get it to work for my schooling. ANy help is greatly apprecianted, thanks.
Have you got IT Support at school?
That would be my first port of call.

Barney

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
try pointing your dns to 8.8.8.8 first and load a page. if it loads, its dns problem.
10.0.0.4 may be the router you are connecting to, and it's not doing its job for dns or, your friend has put it there purposely as a mild deterrent for internet access.

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
try pointing your dns to 8.8.8.8 first and load a page. if it loads, its dns problem.
10.0.0.4 may be the router you are connecting to, and it's not doing its job for dns or, your friend has put it there purposely as a mild deterrent for internet access.

I found out today the my school got a new router a while ago could that be causing issues?

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
I found out today the my school got a new router a while ago could that be causing issues?

If it's a new router, it might be that the chipset is not hadnshaking properly with your mba. I'd suggest you forget the current settings and try to set up your connection with your school's router again.

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
If it's a new router, it might be that the chipset is not hadnshaking properly with your mba. I'd suggest you forget the current settings and try to set up your connection with your school's router again.

I am going to try the dns tomorrow that you suggested, and my school has no IT

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
Yes, tried multiple sites and browsers, pages are just blank until they eventually say 'webpage not available'. All applications on my comp that need internet (like Steam) are all offline because no internet.

For the DNS thing, The IP address listed on my network status is 10.0.0.4 but typing it in the browser doesn't do anything. Just says "webpage is not available."

TS, try pointing your DNS to Google's first. It really feels like a DNS issue.
I just rectified a similar case a few months ago. My relative's router was allowing connections but any mobile device that connected to the router can never surf. Only the desktop wired to the router could surf properly. After some troubleshooting, it was a DNS issue. I had them set the DNS manually on their mobile devices and everyone is now happy.

----------

I am going to try the dns tomorrow that you suggested, and my school has no IT

Actually the DNS solution is for the threadstarter. For your case, your mba is not connecting properly to the router, that's why you are getting the exclamation mark. Re-set it up, and if it doesn't work, then try the dns setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.