Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
A warning to all users, For the first time since I discovered Onyx back in 2008, (no one really needs these cleaner apps) but today, I decided to run the cleaner section of this highly regarded app and much to my surprise in the clean section under user, Onyx froze when the loading bar reached "deleting application cache" It stayed at this point for several min until my Mac told me onyx is not responding! So I forced quit Onyx, all of the other scripts ran without issues. I tried a second time to run this same script and for a second time, Onyx locked up. I gave up and deleted onyx.

Here's another surprise, after restarting my Mac I noticed I had recovered 14 gigs of space! What in the Sam Hill is eating those gigs?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I find that for most tasks Onyx is superfluous and not needed. Perhaps back in the day it was useful but OSX runs fine without any tweaking or running the maintenance scripts. Just my $.02

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Onyx froze when the loading bar reached "deleting application cache" It stayed at this point for several min until my Mac told me onyx is not responding! So I forced quit Onyx, all of the other scripts ran without issues. I tried a second time to run this same script and for a second time, Onyx locked up.
I'd suggest this is 'disturbing OS performance' rather than 'disturbing Onyx performance: surely it's simply hitting a file it's unable to deal with.

How disturbed you are by this is a personal matter, of course, but if you Mac is behaving normally I'd choose to ignore it.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I'd suggest this is 'disturbing OS performance' rather than 'disturbing Onyx performance: surely it's simply hitting a file it's unable to deal with.

How disturbed you are by this is a personal matter, of course, but if you Mac is behaving normally I'd choose to ignore it.

I have a feeling that something is/was writing large log files to OS10. Not certain what was at this time. I will keep watching.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I like the latest version of Onyx because it searches specifically for corrupted preference files. Found and deleted a few on my Mac.

Still a very good app. Shame you had trouble with it.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I find that for most tasks Onyx is superfluous and not needed. Perhaps back in the day it was useful but OSX runs fine without any tweaking or running the maintenance scripts. Just my $.02

OSX didn't take care of that 14 gigs of recovered space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.