Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
To me his tone was apologetic, as if Apple should be apologetic about being successful. As if the world would be a better place if Apple was out of business and all the devices they make were rather made and sold by Chinese or Korean knock-off artists running Google data-gathering software :rolleyes:

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Knocking down trees and covering acres of land with toxic to produce solar panels is 'better'?

If you sort of look at the picture, instead of not looking at it, you will notice that it is in the middle of the desert. Even if all you did was read a small portion of the article, without even looking at the picture, you would note the word 'Nevada', which Wikipedia describes as 'largely desert'. So Apple isn't chopping down any trees in the middle of the desert. I'm also not sure what you meant by 'covering acres of land with toxic'?

----------

Solar power seems a weird choice to power a data center. If you assume the data center needs as much power in the evening as it does during the day, then it's not providing any offset to the amount of energy capacity you need from traditional sources.

The power generated from solar is typically stored, and then the stored power is used as needed. So it is no problem that sometimes there are clouds and the sun isn't always up.

Mycoolroy

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
I don't get the feeling that APPLE is the apple of Tim Cooks eye. People may not have liked Steve but, he loved Apple.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Apple Launches 'Better' Environmental Campaign, Shares Glimpse of New Nevada ...

"Better glue the batteries in MacBooks"... :apple:

I wonder if they'll glue the servers onto the racks in this DC?

----------

Solar power seems a weird choice to power a data center. If you assume the data center needs as much power in the evening as it does during the day, then it's not providing any offset to the amount of energy capacity you need from traditional sources.

Data centers run on batteries, so technically it would be enough to generate enough power to charge the batteries so that you can run unsupported trhough the night.

In practice this data center runs with the exact same electricity that comes from your outlets. They are just generating and feeding the grid with more or less the same amount of renewable energy elsewhere.

E: Or more precisely, the batteries are charged from the grid, and they power the servers so that there is a total decoupling between the DC power rails and the grid. You don't want brownouts and voltage spikes to reach your servers...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.