Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blueflame3

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
Facetime Fail

I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue all afternoon. I use FT almost daily to touch base with a young relative. Because of spring break, we haven't used FT for the last week. We've had no success today despite countless tries at connecting. My devices are both 7.1 operating systems and hers are 6.1.6. I'm uncertain what steps to take to resolve the problem. I went through the troubleshooting instructions on Apple support and have not been able to fix it. All of our devices are up to date on their upgrades.

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
No, I misunderstood you. Sorry for the confusion. I always update within week of the release, but I understand why people who have jailbreaks wouldn't. I know some are not updating to 7.1 because of tweaks they don't like, such as the loss of full pic in incoming calls. I'd bet the vast majority of users do the update when they see it or shortly after. Anecdotal evidence for me is people who feel so disappointed by an update that they don't want to "risk another one." Another is sticking to iOS 6 because she thinks it'll be too much work to learn how to use iOS 7. Another person thinks they need a new phone because of software glitches causing erratic behavior. Informed of the need to restore and set up as new, I'm not sure they are going to bother. The reasons are diverse but I think the pool is small.

Sorry; Not to belabor my point; but to be clear, I know there are tons of reasons why some people don't, or wouldn't want to upgrade to iOS 7. I'm just asking why someone would not upgrade to iOS 6.01, 6.02, 6.1, 6.1.1, 6.1.2, etc.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Sarcasm? You know we are human, right? We adapt to our environment. Adapting to iOS 7 is no different. :apple:

True. But we choose the elements of our environment that we wish to adapt to. Classic Coke was better than New Coke. iPods are better than Zunes. and iOS6 is better than iOS7.

Newer doesn't mean better.

nstrudwick

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
UK
I have to say that all these "why not upgrade to ios7" posts annoy me. I have upgraded, but I know several people with older phones etc who are sticking to iOS 6 because they can't afford to upgrade or similar. Please don't patronise them. iOS 7 hasn't been out that long that we should abandon iOS 6

Jason in KC

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
FaceTime is an important feature on the iPhone. It appeared in commercials. Which means that when I buy an iPhone, Apple has an obligation to fulfill its end of the contract in providing facetime. It has absolutely no right to remove facetime as a feature under any circumstance, including my not wanting to update to the latest software. If Apple wants to defend against a class action suit in which apple's internal documents concerning planned obsolescence are released to the public, it may proceed as it has for the last five days. If not, Apple needs to reinstate facetime immediately.

vpn

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
bitten

I have tried facetime between my ios 6 devices for many times these days and all result in ended or connection lost. It's about one week for this problem, and there are no reported issues all the time on apple's system status page. I suspect apple is not fixing the problem and will not, time to think another method for a replacement.

To ios 6 users who insisting on, some app requiring an apple id might be out of function sometime later, and you might have to upgrade sooner or later, why? device activation.

To ios 7 users, enjoying yourself but don't rely on it too much, it might be your turn one year later, hopefully you'll like ios 8 then.

Last edited:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
So you bought a phone with technology that was already two years old and you're wondering why all the latest software won't work on it?

Sorry, you've lost me there. :confused:
I havent even mentioned what phone I have and your jumping to pretty wile conclusions!

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Why do people still consider Maps bad? Just because it isn't your beloved Google, I suppose.

Apple maps is bad as the data is wrong in so many places. I was sent to the wrong street and as I was walking it cost me 45 minutes. The app may have a nice interface but if the actual map data is poor it's worth nothing.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
That's YOUR opinion about iOS7 being "ugly" and I 100% disagree.

Awesome. I would never expect you to "have" to agree with me. However, many threads on this forum prove MANY dislike the look of iOS 7. Me... Well I prefer things to work. As an Apple only fanboy for years I know when something is glitchy and when it's not. iOS 7 is still glitchy, especially on older iPad 3. That's the "opinion" of many.. ;)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Awesome. I would never expect you to "have" to agree with me. However, many threads on this forum prove MANY dislike the look of iOS 7. Me... Well I prefer things to work. As an Apple only fanboy for years I know when something is glitchy and when it's not. iOS 7 is still glitchy, especially on older iPad 3. That's the "opinion" of many.. ;)

That's the opinion of many that post on forums. For the rest of the millions of users don't get yourself all giddy thinking that are as OCD as you.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
That's the opinion of many that post on forums. For the rest of the millions of users don't get yourself all giddy thinking that are as OCD as you.

I value your opinion of my OCD.. Unfortunately your wrong. I have real time user experience of several devices that went from iOS 6 to 7. The glitches arrived with 7.. Next time I get ready to purchase a product I will inbox you for your opinion since you have the insight of millions of users.

I'm honored to have met one that knows of certainty from so many.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
The service pack is the support.

Windows 8.1 customers cannot complain they're not getting bug fixes, if they won't install the bug fixes.

Notice this part of quoted portion of my post...
*BEFORE* many people (including their corporate customers) can successfully update to 8.1 SP1.

There's an issue with the 8.1 SP 1 which has not yet been resolved, so folks on Win 8.1 who *CAN'T* install SP 1 are *already* without support.

HarCees

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
I swore to never get iOS 7 but FaceTime haven't been working on my iphone 4s running iOS 6 for a while so now I'm upgrading to iOS 7.... :(

I'm kind of sad

Update:
updated the phone. Its really slow now. Thx Apple

Last edited:

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
Fix?

Is there a resolution for those of us running ios 6.1.0? I cannot upgrade to 7 because my phone is jailbroken and no jailbreak for latest ios7. The call cones in and then disconnects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.