Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
I use iOS, Android, and Mac OS. I have found one drive to work very well. I haven't encountered any issues with syncing. I used to use copy as recommended by someone above me, but I have found issues with the iOS version of the app. For example, when viewing pictures inside of the copy app I couldn't zoom in in the corners without it automatically moving me to the center of the picture. Also I didn't like when they redid the iOS 7 app they didn't use the native sharing within iOS 7. Although I do miss copy, because it's synced well with my Linux computer

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I am a big fan of OneDrive. The integration is excellent across iOS and Android, and Microsoft offers tons of ways to pick up extra storage. I have 50GB for free right now!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Wow this is pretty cool, never knew this existed. I just signed up. I'm a diehard OneDrive user, it's superior to Dropbox when you have a lot of documents. Dropbox has issues with viewing and editing some documents and it's hit or miss on different OS. eg I think on Android you can edit text docs, but you cannot on iOS or PC. OneDrive takes all the documents I have and lets me edit them online and makes it very seamless. It's very well integrated and works on iOS, android, windows, etc.

Yeah, it is an awesome deal, for very little effort. Glad to help. :)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, it is an awesome deal, for very little effort. Glad to help. :)

Even though I'm a microsoft fan boy I never really tried Bing, always preferring Google. I'm liking Bing searches, more accurate at times than Google. eg I searched today for Granite countertop installation near 07xxx. Most of Google's listings were for real estate properties for sale with granite countertops, lol Bing only had one real estate listing in 3 pages of search.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I would recommend Onedrive as well. The online interface is great and it works well on all of my devices including Windows Vista, Windows 7, iOS, Windows Phone and Android. The 2gb file size limit isn't a huge deal. For most users who are just syncing music, documents and photos it works great. It's especially useful if you use Microsoft Office in any capacity.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Even though I'm a microsoft fan boy I never really tried Bing, always preferring Google. I'm liking Bing searches, more accurate at times than Google. eg I searched today for Granite countertop installation near 07xxx. Most of Google's listings were for real estate properties for sale with granite countertops, lol Bing only had one real estate listing in 3 pages of search.

Yeah, Bing is winning me over on my Windows devices. I'm sticking with Google searches on my Android devices though; just better integration there.

I like the live wallpapers Bing adds on occasion, the live information squares on the home page and the relevant info cards at the bottom. Microsoft is really stepping up their game and I have become a fan, especially since Ballmer is gone! :p

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I would suggest you stay with DropBox. It is faster, supports all Mac OS file system features (like symbolic links), has no file limitations, and there is even an app on Android that will sync your Dropbox files with your device in the background, on the folder you choose. Much better than OneDrive.

OneDrive is slow, has a 2GB file limitation and doesn't accept file names that use characters that are allowed in OS X..It is a good solution for Windows users..

Is this 2GB for one sync or one individual file?

I have a 3GB Folder made up of various files, none of which are 2GB in size individually. Would the folder sync or would I get an error?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I have to say, Microsoft has been doing an amazing with its software. OneDrive, aside from a few quirks, is outstanding - both the syncing and the web interface. They make it so easy to get additional space for free - I just got 100GB for playing the Bing Rewards game. And even if I did purchase additional space, the pricing is so much more reasonable than Dropbox. If two products are nearly equivalent, why go with the higher priced choice?

The only advantage Dropbox has at the moment is that its tied into so many apps as the third-party syncing service. I'm sure this will change as OneDrive gains traction.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
The only advantage Dropbox has at the moment is that its tied into so many apps as the third-party syncing service. I'm sure this will change as OneDrive gains traction.

I disagree with this. The lack of file version control for anything other than MS Office documents is a severe limitation of OneDrive IMO.

Dropbox & Google drive both have this. I've used it with Dropbox and it works extremely well. Has saved me on several occasions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not just use Google Drive?

Personally, I don't want to use Google's services. I find OneDrive to be more then enough for my needs. The integration into Office is a big plus.

YMMV however.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What integration do you mean?

MS Office works with OneDrive, you can view/edit Office documents within Office on your phone or your iPad. the mobile versions do not have the ability to save to google drive or drop box. There may be work arounds but since I have OneDrive its not something I need to explore.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
MS Office works with OneDrive, you can view/edit Office documents within Office on your phone or your iPad. the mobile versions do not have the ability to save to google drive or drop box. There may be work arounds but since I have OneDrive its not something I need to explore.

You said you use both, right? Do you keep them both running at the same time I.e. Both in your menu bar?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
You said you use both, right? Do you keep them both running at the same time I.e. Both in your menu bar?

For me, yes, both are running on my MacBook Air 2012. In the menu bar.

Though it's Dropbox for photos and videos, and Google Drive for documents and work stuff.

I don't use OneDrive currently.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
For me, yes, both are running on my MacBook Air 2012. In the menu bar.

Though it's Dropbox for photos and videos, and Google Drive for documents and work stuff.

I don't use OneDrive currently.
Thanks. Does GDrive use much CPU Power when idle? I know Dropbox's impact is negligible .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.