Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Hi
After doing a search I am still not clear which is the simplest way to back up my iPhoto library. I have 18g of pictures and I am thinking the easiest way to back up is to get a usb stick and just copy the library over to the stick. Then once in a while just copy my recent library over to the usb again. Am I missing something? Also if I ever needed to copy the pictures back to the iPhoto library would I just drag and drop back to the application. Thanks,

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
But why aren't you using an automated process? Time Machine does that, plus more.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
But why aren't you using an automated process? Time Machine does that, plus more.
I have time machine but i don't feel like waiting for the initial backup as I have 100g of music plus 50g of movies. Since I have music match and the movies are backed up in the cloud the only thing is the pics. So this seemed to be easy and quick. But I am open to other ways of doing this. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I have time machine but i don't feel like waiting for the initial backup as I have 100g of music plus 50g of movies. Since I have music match and the movies are backed up in the cloud the only thing is the pics. So this seemed to be easy and quick. But I am open to other ways of doing this. Thoughts?
You can always exclude backups of your music and movies from iTunes. Music, if matched through iTunes Match, can be readily re-downloaded in case the drive fails. And movies can be easily re-downloaded should the need arise. It seems to be the case, so you may choose not to backup twice.

Even then, an initial backup of 150GB shouldn't take a week, expecially if NOT using USB.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
You can always exclude backups of your music and movies from iTunes. Music, if matched through iTunes Match, can be readily re-downloaded in case the drive fails. And movies can be easily re-downloaded should the need arise. It seems to be the case, so you may choose not to backup twice.

Even then, an initial backup of 150GB shouldn't take a week, expecially if NOT using USB.

i looked into excluding them but couldn't figure out how to do that....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i looked into excluding them but couldn't figure out how to do that....

Go into the Systems preference panel, then select Time Machine
Click on options in the lower right hand corner
TM_Preferences.png

Then click on the little plus to select what you want to exclude
TM_Exclude.png

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
You can always set up a Flickr account. You can manually sync iPhoto with it.

Thats what i do but yeah, you have to do a manual sync.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Please be careful with a sync to Flickr, I did not see a way to retrieve deleted pictures from their service.
As a rule of thumb, never trust anything you don't have direct control of. This especially applies to anything stored "in the cloud", unless you can afford to lose it.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Don't forget to keep a backup of your important docs and photos at an offsite location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.