Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Or so my kids would tell you! My internet has went down since yesterday and I have techs coming out tomorrow. Since yesterday I have been using my rooted Android as a hot spot. I have tried it on a non rooted phone and it prompts you for the provider tethering service, none of that crap with a rooted phone!

I think the whole business of tethering be separate is ridiculous, what difference does it make if I use my allocated amount of data on my phone, tablet or computer? I get 3 gigs LTE then throttled after that on each phone

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I'm lucky on the regard of my carrier doesn't have a tethering policy, they don't care how I use my data because in the end, I paid for it.

Glad you managed to get out of a crisis though :)

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I told my kids their mom and I grew up and survived without the internet, they couldnt imagine it.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I am amazed at the artificial restrictions the carriers in the US impose on their customers.

If you have a certain data limit (or no limit at all) it should not be of any concern to them what you actually use it for. 1 GB downloaded directly to the phone or 1 GB downloaded to your PC/Tablet/whatever via tethering generates the same amount of traffic in the cell phone network.

Luckily I live a place where rules like this does not apply - I have unlimited data use with a soft cap of 5 GB a month. Everything above that gets throttled to 120 Kb/s, which is more than enough for casual surfing on the phone, downloading podcasts, syncing music and so on.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I am amazed at the artificial restrictions the carriers in the US impose on their customers.

If you have a certain data limit (or no limit at all) it should not be of any concern to them what you actually use it for. 1 GB downloaded directly to the phone or 1 GB downloaded to your PC/Tablet/whatever via tethering generates the same amount of traffic in the cell phone network.

Luckily I live a place where rules like this does not apply - I have unlimited data use with a soft cap of 5 GB a month. Everything above that gets throttled to 120 Kb/s, which is more than enough for casual surfing on the phone, downloading podcasts, syncing music and so on.

You are lucky you don't live in the most capitalistic country in the world.
The corporations only care about money here.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

T-Mobile doesn't impose this. You can pay $50 a month for what is unlimited data. You get 1GB at 4G/LTE speeds and then they throttle you to 3G speeds (or even 2G), but there is no data cap. And that is one of the main reasons why T-Mobile is adding so many extra customers a month from the likes of AT&T and Verizon.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No internet = crisis ?

First world problems are terrible. Forget genocide, war torn streets, starvation and hunger, earthquakes, aids ..... None can live upto the crisis of 'no internet for a day'.......

;)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I told my kids their mom and I grew up and survived without the internet, they couldnt imagine it.
I'm sure when I say this to my daughter in a few years she will be equally clueless lol. We used to go to the library and search for the information using our brains in my day even though we just about had the internet (circa 1994) in my house. It cost too much to stay online for too long!

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
AT&T never had any issue with me tethering. :eek: I've been doing it since iPhone 2G too. It's only this last month that I'm actually on a 10GB plan now with it enabled.

^^ this. I gave up my unlimited plan that I was in for years but I don't care as I never go above 2-4gb anyway. They don't throttle until you cross 10 either.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011

Whilst I agree, I can see that it makes a difference though. Let's ASSUME you got a piece of crap phone which can be used for tethering, you might not use the phone to stream videos but use a laptop / tablet instead. I think it is likely people use more bandiwidth when tethering than they do 'natively' on the phone.

For example, at some workplace I had a stupidly great connection. So I tetherd my laptop to phone (in the office) to download all sorts of stuff. The HSPA+ connection there was three times as fast as my home broadband.

At some point I downloaded 80 GB in just one week (no nonsense unlimited plan).

I wouldn't even be able to download that sort of data to my phone. So I personally definitely use more data whole tethering.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm on Verizon and I can tether without any added fees. I was able to easily create a hotspot with my old iPhone 5 and this has saved me a couple of times.

I lost DSL for a couple of hours while working from home. I was able to get my work done and for that I was quite grateful.

People love to knock VZW but in this instance I didn't have to go through any hoops or incur extra costs to have tethering

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.