Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm curious has anyone gotten iWeb to work with Mavericks? It launches for me, but when I try to save anything, it crashes.

Hence, looking for the best iWeb replacement suggestions? Thanks! :)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I'm curious has anyone gotten iWeb to work with Mavericks? It launches for me, but when I try to save anything, it crashes.

I have no problem getting iWeb to open & save. But I do not publish with it. I only tried it to see if it was working with Mavericks. I am running 10.9.2. I think a great alternative to iWeb is Rapidweaver. Plus Rapidweaver has many add-ons to make it even easier to use.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have no problem getting iWeb to open & save. But I do not publish with it. I only tried it to see if it was working with Mavericks. I am running 10.9.2. I think a great alternative to iWeb is Rapidweaver. Plus Rapidweaver has many add-ons to make it even easier to use.

Thanks, I'll check it out! :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I'm still able to use iWeb on 10.9.2 also. I wonder if this is more related to your overall problem you mentioned in your other thread?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm still able to use iWeb on 10.9.2 also. I wonder if this is more related to your overall problem you mentioned in your other thread?

Great point. My appointment at the Genius bar is Friday at noon. I'll let you know. I have no clue what could be the problem there, but I am anticipating they will find something.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
you might try either Freeway Express or Freeway Pro depending on your needs and budget.

Softpress

Thanks! I thought there was some inexpensive website builder in the App store, "easy..." something or other, but I've not been able to get into the App Store with my computers current issues. Ideally if I can't get iweb to work, then something as easy as iweb is preferred.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Great point. My appointment at the Genius bar is Friday at noon. I'll let you know. I have no clue what could be the problem there, but I am anticipating they will find something.

Computer problem solved, iWeb crashes consistently on save. The search for something continues. I'll be checking out the programs that have been suggested. :)

It looks like Rapidweaver or Freeway Express are too likely candidates.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I played around with Sandvox a bit this afternoon. What I don't like is that with the templates, apparently I can't alter the delineation of space that comes with the template. Like I have my own Header Image I want to slap across the top of the home page, and I can't do it. Maybe if there is an option to start a blank page, then maybe. More experimentation is warranted. One thing good about this program is that there is no time limit for 5 pages or less.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah it is more restrictive, but so isn't iWeb, You may be able to alter it with HTML snippets however.

I think if you want more flexibility, then RapidWeaver may be a better alternative. The downside with RapidWeaver IMO is two fold.
First it has a steeper learning curve - may not be worth the effort if you're looking for very simple websites.
Secondly and more importantly in order to get to the same level of drag/drop functionality of iWeb you need to purchase plugins. They're very useful and do extend the power of RW, but the fact that its not that way out of the box may rub some people the wrong way.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah it is more restrictive, but so isn't iWeb, You may be able to alter it with HTML snippets however.

I think if you want more flexibility, then RapidWeaver may be a better alternative. The downside with RapidWeaver IMO is two fold.
First it has a steeper learning curve - may not be worth the effort if you're looking for very simple websites.
Secondly and more importantly in order to get to the same level of drag/drop functionality of iWeb you need to purchase plugins. They're very useful and do extend the power of RW, but the fact that its not that way out of the box may rub some people the wrong way.

No I would not like it if I purchased Rapidweaver and then had to buy extra plugins to achieve the same functionality I had with iWeb. iWeb may have been restrictive, but I could organize elements on the page any way I desired, dragging around images, text boxes and such. Thanks for the info! It's helpful. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Currently checking out Freeway Express. This program seems simple to use,it does not lock me into any particular structure, and it's reasonably priced at about $50. I can start with one of their templates and move elements anywhere I want to. This may be a winner!

I also looked at GoDaddy's, one of many "online web site builders" and rejected that because there was no way to make a backup of the site on my computer. I may have misunderstood.

Last edited:

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I used to use Freeway and RapidWeaver. Personally, I much prefer RapidWeaver - although you're stuck with their themes to a certain extent (although, with a little technical skill, you can create your own).

More recently I've gone over to using WordPress* for pretty much everything and personally I don't see me going back. Of course, it's not a desktop app but it's very effective and there are heaps of themes and plugins to choose from. I'd suggest you at least give it a go.

Good luck!

Rob

* No, I don't work for them!

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I had problems with iWeb when I first upgraded to Mavericks. I have Sandvox and RapidWeaver. Neither were as easy to use or as familiar as iWeb. I deleted my iWeb and reinstalled it. It is now working fine.

kmush

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
Sandvox

Sandvox has many templates/versions that allow a photo header.

As a former iWeb user who is not very demanding about what is allowed in doing a website, I have found Sandvox the easiest of most of the programs available.

Also, if you don't want to go with a domain from GoDaddy, Sandvox recommends a web host that is very familiar with Sandvox and Macs. You might check with that host to see if it can do what you want. Price seems reasonable. I'm considering using them for a different website I'm thinking to set up on Sandvox.

Korelia Software also has a list of websites people have done with Sandvox. If you haven't found that list, you can find it at http://www.sandvoxsites.com

Disclosure: I have no connection with Korelia Software or Sandvox except as a satisfied customer.

Hope this is helpful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.