Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
12" retina macbook air made out of liquidmetal, with sapphire infused IGZO retina display with touch! (1/4th power of regular lcd) and broadwell 28watt processor. radical new design, only 840grams. battery life: 15 hours. performance on par with macbook pro retina. thickness: 1cm. PCI-e SSD 1GB/s read/write 256GB standard. two thunderbolt II, 1 USB 3 and TouchID. pre-order from june 17th - delivery expected august. $1999USD.

Thinness: 10mm

Fixed your typo.
It's 10mm thin. That's how Apple say it.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
You forgot 'Maglock 3'.

"Once again, we made stuff even thinner, and didn't think ahead with MagLock 2. So we're selling yet another proprietary connector and making our chargers less durable in the process."

Apple never released a maglock. And their chargers are the best out there. For starters, everybody is trying to copy them.

But I agree, they should be more durable. They rarely change connectors, which means that your post is irrelevant and should be ignored.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
12" retina macbook air made out of liquidmetal, with sapphire infused IGZO retina display with touch! (1/4th power of regular lcd) and broadwell 28watt processor. radical new design, only 840grams. battery life: 15 hours. performance on par with macbook pro retina. thickness: 1cm. PCI-e SSD 1GB/s read/write 256GB standard. two thunderbolt II, 1 USB 3 and TouchID. pre-order from june 17th - delivery expected august. $1999USD.

Surely the point of Broadwell for thin and light notebooks is to allow a fanless design and certainly not as high as 28w!

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
That's an annoying timescale. I was really hoping for iMac updates at WWDC. Not for processor bumps but for Thunderbolt 2, so the iMac would be 4K compatible. Looking at the update cycle, it seems that it's about time for a new update for the iMac, but Apple are not beyond actually skipping an entire update if it doesn't make sense to update the machine at that point. I really hope they do though because i've been holding off for the Thunderbolt 2 update.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Thinness: 10mm

Fixed your typo.
It's 10mm thin. That's how Apple say it.

No really. On drugs, people shout 1000 mg instead of 1g because it looks much bigger. The opposite is also true when people want the idea of less is more.

If it is 10 mm thick, they will market it as 1cm. Remember, 1<<<<<<<<<<<<<10.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
What’s the roadmap like after Broadwell? Got a 6-year-old MacBook Pro I’d like to replace with a 15" rMBP, but I’m not sure if I should skip one more generation.

Are you me? I have a 6-year-old MacBook Pro if like to replace and have been wondering the same thing.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
There's an idea. When they fail to meet the deadline, migrate to slower chips:rolleyes:.

Actually apple did this very thing. They went from a 64 bit G5 2.7ghz to a 32 bit Intel core duo 2.3 ghz which was a little slower than my dual G5. To match the speed of my G5 I had to buy a quad core macpro 1,1 32 bit system at that time.

True the A7 isn't ready but give it a few more revisions and the A10 may be ready for prime time as Intel keeps slipping delivery dates.

Knowing apples track record to switch CPUs I'm sure in some back room they have osx mavericks running on an assortment of boxes from an A8 multi core to a Power 7 or 8 multicore and others.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall and heard the yelling and screaming going on when these other chisp are now out performing their current lineup. ;-)

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Hmmmmmm...

Not QUITE enough to persuade me to chop in my 11 year old PowerBook G4 yet... :D

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Intel wanted to milk the Haswell chip for all they could.

Broadwell has probably been ready for a while now and Intel knows the improved power savings and IGPU will render Haswell chips to wholesale priced chips.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Apple never released a maglock. And their chargers are the best out there. For starters, everybody is trying to copy them.

But I agree, they should be more durable. They rarely change connectors, which means that your post is irrelevant and should be ignored.

Good spot, my brain isn't working. Edited :)

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
That's an annoying timescale. I was really hoping for iMac updates at WWDC. Not for processor bumps but for Thunderbolt 2, so the iMac would be 4K compatible. Looking at the update cycle, it seems that it's about time for a new update for the iMac, but Apple are not beyond actually skipping an entire update if it doesn't make sense to update the machine at that point. I really hope they do though because i've been holding off for the Thunderbolt 2 update.

I'm really waiting for all-new, SSD-only, 4K (retina) iMac. :)

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
We'll have to see what the performance improvements are. The manufacturing delays indicate too many chips with defects, and probably issues in other ares. I'm a little concerned that some of these chips may run a bit hot. I'm betting that the power savings will be more impressive than the iGPU performance gains though...

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
They could easily lower the Mac prices across the board without hitting margins too much given how little the Mac contributes to their bottom line. Use it as a Trojan horse into Apple's ecosystem when hopefully they'll move on to the more profitable iPhone and iPad.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Knowing apples track record to switch CPUs I'm sure in some back room they have osx mavericks running on an assortment of boxes from an A8 multi core to a Power 7 or 8 multicore and others.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall and heard the yelling and screaming going on when these other chisp are now out performing their current lineup. ;-)

When all of the software breaks, I wonder if there's any chance a Rosetta 2 could run Snow Leopard for Rosetta 1 so we can still run PowerPC software that has no upgrades?

;)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
No really. On drugs, people shout 1000 mg instead of 1g because it looks much bigger. The opposite is also true when people want the idea of less is more.

If it is 10 mm thick, they will market it as 1cm. Remember, 1<<<<<<<<<<<<<10.

You don't know Apple.
They are marketing their tech to people who know mm is smaller than cm. mm is used a lot more in the world than cm is actually. Also it avoids having decimals on the screen. If they compare the 1cm (as you say) to a previous model that'd be 1.2 or whatever cm. That just looks messy. But saying 10mm is thinner than 12mm is very easy to show and looks neat on the keynote screen.

Also most macbooks are not an even thickness. They taper down on one side, a fact Apple love to tell us. So it'd be like 10mm tapering down to 7mm on the other side. Just random numbers but you get my point. Much easier to say all of this in mm than cm with decimals.

Also having cm in these kinds of presentations just looks unprofessional. mm looks so much more professional.

Just like in the druggo scene as you said. mg is more professional than g. Nothing to do with the size of the numbers. it's to do with avoiding decimals and making people understand them.

People understand 750mg better than they do 0.75g. We are talking about the average person and not the tech geeks like us. The average person does not frequent rumour websites like this.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Interesting that Intel felt the need to make any kind of public statement. As others have noted, Intel's main clients have presumably been informed along the way.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
No Love for the mini :(

Maybe there going to drop it all together

Dropping it would make sense. Or, combining the aTV with a mini.

Every time I was doing the math for a mini the iMac was the better deal.

Also, these days I want everything portable .

Having to be "chained" to a desktop is no longer appealing.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
Last year, Apple got the ULV Chips for the MacBook Air months before other manufacturers did. No reason to panic.

I expect the Retina Air in June/July with a considerably higher price tag than the normal MacBook Air, which will remain in the lineup. In the following years, the new Retina Air will replace the old MacBook Air, the same story as with the Retina MacBook Pro. Starting at a high price and replacing the old stuff in the years to come. :)

I still wonder why no Mac Website came to this obvious conclusion. The price reduction of the current MBA is further proof of this theory, the lower price makes room for a higher priced Retina MBA. It is absurd to think that a retina MacBook Air would replace the current one starting at 899. Think about it!

Shiny new spacegray MacBook Air without fan (because of lower thermal specification of 14nm Broadwell Chips) with Retina Display (LTPS display technology from iPad Air negates the higher power consumption of the Retina Panel which needs more backlight) and a high price, say 1299$
Why doesn't anyone at the rumor sites think about this stuff in context? They all cite analyst and stuff instead of using their minds!

Last edited:

Laptopdog78

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2014
"As far as a next-generation iMac goes, Apple could also choose to hold off on an update until the appropriate Broadwell chips are out. However, a report last month claimed that Intel's faster Haswell desktop CPUs could arrive in May, with Apple perhaps launching updates sooner rather than later."

I thought my late 2013 imac already had haswell?? Am I reading the above wrong?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
"As far as a next-generation iMac goes, Apple could also choose to hold off on an update until the appropriate Broadwell chips are out. However, a report last month claimed that Intel's faster Haswell desktop CPUs could arrive in May, with Apple perhaps launching updates sooner rather than later."

I thought my late 2013 imac already had haswell?? Am I reading the above wrong?

They could update the iMac with slightly faster Haswell CPUs than the Haswell ones in the 2013 model. Similarly to how the 2014 MBA recently got faster Haswell CPUs than the ones in the 2013 model.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
Good idea but I fear the Mac Mini's days are numbered if they plan to introduce a cheaper entry level version of the iMac.

Well, with the Mac Mini starting at £499 and the iMac starting at £1,149, it would have to be a really really cheap entry level iMac. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.