Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macatize

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
Springfield, MO
black iphone with classic logo

Here's the classic logo on a black iPhone

Attachments

• iphoneblack_classic.png
    iphoneblack_classic.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 171

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I think all styles go through phases where they appear stale and dated; so switching from the rainbow to monochrome logo made sense. Sooner or later that'll look dated too and they may switch to a new one... an outline? An updated rainbow look? 3D? Holographic? :)

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I kind of feel like Apple still owes me a refund for buying an LCII.

I think you are romanticizing a bit and filtering out all the unmagical years the multicolored logo reigned on product -- when LC IIIs, Performas, and IIVXs roamed the land.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I don't mean to be politically incorrect and hope not to offend anyone in anyway. However, when I see the old apple logo, it does remind me of the Gay Flag. It makes me wonder if there was any connection or if the color selection was just coincidental.

I think in the "Jobs" book they said it was supposed to represent going from the Earth to the sky...except the green and the blue are upside down. If that's the case it should have been (my startup apple via BootXChanger):

Attachments

• Colour Apple Logo2.png
    Colour Apple Logo2.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 637
Last edited by a moderator:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I still have some Apple merchandise (non computers) I got from shows in the 90s. Like the person who posted the pic earlier, I would buy a black/slate iPhone with the rainbow logo. Not space gray, though. Bring back slate!

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
here's what the classic logo would look like on the iPhone.

That's not horrible looking. Not as nice as the newer logo though.

----------

Sorry to disappoint you but according to Wikipedia the Rainbow Flag was designed in 1978 while this article states that the Rainbow Apple was created in 1977.

I guess they just loved rainbows in late '70's California.

Anyone remember Mork & Mindy. Late 70's + rainbow suspenders.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Sorry to disappoint you but according to Wikipedia the Rainbow Flag was designed in 1978 while this article states that the Rainbow Apple was created in 1977.

Not to mention, the colors are in different order.

Or (directed at Cuban Missiles, not DoubleU,) do you associate every use of a rainbow with the gay-pride flag now? (The 'gay pride' rainbow has colors in correct rainbow order - the Apple logo doesn't.) There have been many different groups and causes over the years that use a rainbow flag as their symbol.

Plus, as others have said, both the Apple logo and the gay pride flag were designed in the late '70s, a time when rainbow colors were popular for just about everything.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
just change the colors to something more ios7 like and it would fit perfectly ;)

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
i miss those days. I will sound like a fan boy but you need to accept that Steve Jobs was the only human being who knew how to control everyone opinions including costumers. he was a master mind.

Everyones opinions?.. the entire world's opinions?.. Mmm...thats a bit of a reach there fella..

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Any further details on where these are set to be auctioned?
Im interested in a purchase.

Persian Apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
Persia!
I think in the "Jobs" book they said it was supposed to represent going from the Earth to the sky...except the green and the blue are upside down. If that's the case it should have been (my startup apple via BootXChanger):

The colors can represent the Newton apple that fell from above his head to the ground.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I don't mean to be politically incorrect and hope not to offend anyone in anyway. However, when I see the old apple logo, it does remind me of the Gay Flag. It makes me wonder if there was any connection or if the color selection was just coincidental.

----------

I may be mistaken, but I also thought it had to do wth the Apple Records deal related to the name, logo, and music.

That is an interesting connection. I never made it before I guess because the Apple rainbow is by design, chromatically incorrect. Here is a story on it.

http://creativebits.org/interview/interview_rob_janoff_designer_apple_logo

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Everyone has an opinion, and we all like what we like. But I much prefer the current Apple logo to the rainbow one. It was just dated. Thought so back then...

I agree, it reminds me of the early 80s home computer style in general where magazines and computers all had tons of lines and colour and stuff going on...

Dragon_32.jpg

spectrum.jpg

dee-snider-1b.jpg

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011

I think the love for rainbows you cite was inspired by prism installations at the Exploratorium.

----------

I had applied one on my iphone 5 some time back.

Removed it when the side edges peeled off.

That looks really nice. Better than the mockups.

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
I wouldn't mind...

I wouldn't mind having the logo at my house! I'm sure, as everyone else would too haha. I don't think starting $10K is that unreasonable since it's so iconic. One of them seems like someone tagged it though :(.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I like the theory that it is a tribute to Alan Turing, the guy who cracked the enigma code and was prosecuted and chemically castrated for being gay.
I doubt it's true but I'd love it if it was...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

Alan Turing wasn't very famous at all when Apple started. For example, Alan Hodges' biography appeared in 1983. Before that time, the work that he is famous for now was all classified. You wouldn't have known his name at that time unless you studied computer sciences, and if you did, you wouldn't have a face associated with the name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.