Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Oh, but it is supported by the CPU ;)

Well, read for yourself. It seems that Intel CPUs do not support 8Gbit RAM packages which are required to have a 16Gb SO-DIMM. That, and there seems to be only one manufacturer of such RAM modules, but they do not seem to be available and even if they were, the price would be extremely high.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a MacBookPro9,1 with a 2.3GHz core i7 and 16GB RAM. I'm wondering if I can go to 32GB?
With what's available today, no, you can't.
Which are not supported by the Intel CPU ;) Even if they were commercially available.
Intel says otherwise:
Intel® Core™ i7-4850HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)

Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB
Memory Types DDR3L-1333/1600
# of Memory Channels 2
Max Memory Bandwidth 76.8 GB/s
ECC Memory Supported No

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Intel says otherwise:

You didn't read my posts completely. Of course Intel supports 32GB — if they are present in the system as 4x 8GB RAM modules. But because of the memory controller implementation, they appear not being able to support a 2x 16GB configuration. The quote is in my above post.

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013
I have a MacBookPro9,1 with a 2.3GHz core i7 and 16GB RAM. I'm wondering if I can go to 32GB?

I heard that there are some 16 GB modules in the works but I don't know if they would be compatible due to BIOS limitations.

If you need 32 GB of RAM , you could look into gaming laptops or workstation laptops.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Technically they can support upto 32GB of RAM. obviously if there were more RAM slots then the Mac's could support 32GB of RAM
Technically, they don't. As there aren't more RAM slots in a MBP, they can't.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announced a 32GiB RAM option for the rMBP, which would put them on equal footing in this area with mobile workstations (except those using desktop processors) for the next year, as there will be no mobile CPUs supporting DDR4 yet.

But even if they offer 2TB of storage, that would be massively expensive, and offer less guarantee of timely expansion possibilities.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announced a 32GiB RAM option for the rMBP, which would put them on equal footing in this area with mobile workstations (except those using desktop processors) for the next year, as there will be no mobile CPUs supporting DDR4 yet.

I really doubt that. They simply don't have enough space on the mainboard to put double the amount of RAM modules. Otherwise they would gave offered such am option long time ago.

huedrant

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Any news on this? As meanwhile the RAM prices dropped even more, maybe could try this out? I looked around, but only found DDR4 RAM 16GB Sticks so far..

huedrant

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Update: Now I actually found DDR3L SO-DIMMs with 16GB each. So if I want to spend quite some money for this experiment, it could be worth a try. But still I'm curious: Did anybody already do this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Update: Now I actually found DDR3L SO-DIMMs with 16GB each. So if I want to spend quite some money for this experiment, it could be worth a try. But still I'm curious: Did anybody already do this?
Which model Mac do you have? You'd have to make sure this RAM is compatible with your model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.