Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 8

Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:31 AM   #351
flatfoot99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0827 View Post
Has it be been mentioned that you can finally make custom calendar repeat events not without the siri workaround.
whats the siri work around???
flatfoot99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:44 AM   #352
Will0827
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot99 View Post
whats the siri work around???
Just create the event using Siri and have set the repeat to whatever you want. Also could use iCal and sync the event. But now no longer.
Will0827 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:47 AM   #353
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Did you register your UDID for the iPad Mini?
No, that's the issue. I'll just wait till the stable release.
KieranDotW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:51 AM   #354
punger1165
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrd View Post
sorry if mentioned but does anyone know if safari still reloads a page each time you go back to it? - annoying as hell if like me you open several pages to then go in and read later
Yes the pages still reload upon reopening them
punger1165 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:19 AM   #355
TheKrs1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Was hoping for pdfs and other files.

Also, does search in messages still suck? i.e. requires loading messages dozens of times rather than taking you to the message you searched for
Not sure if you got a reply yet, but yes it still sucks. It will find the message you are looking for, but it will not take you to the place if it's not in the first screen of loaded messages.
TheKrs1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:23 AM   #356
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menopause View Post
Are you sure? Because I've known Yahoo to show wrong weather data for my city. For another city in India it even shows 'Sunny' with a sun at midnight (no it's not really that hot in India lol). The Weather Channel website however doesn't do any of this for the same cities.
Yup. In your case sounds like something was wrong somewhere in all of it.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:31 AM   #357
TheKrs1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotc View Post
Can anyone with iPhone please check if it's possible to schedule "Do Not Disturb" to specific days?
No it's still locked to a single 24 hour schedule. :-(

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drea97 View Post
Does anyone know will itouch will come with IOS8?
If by "itouch" you mean the iPod touch, then yes some people know it will come with iOS 8. When it is released to the public, the supported iPod Touches will receive the software update.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:31 AM   #358
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
On the Lock screen you click on Emergency, and then click on Medical ID. It gives the information you entered, plus it allows you to call the emergency contact that's been added.
Just want to confirm: even when the phone is locked, it is possible for anyone with physical access to your phone to call your emergency contacts (just as they are now able to call 911)? This is really the most essential feature of such an ICE app -- allowing emergency responders to contact your family even if you are incapacitated -- and I've not seen anyone yet explicitly confirm it.

Also, can anyone who's tested the feature tell me if there is a limit to the number of emergency contacts or other information one can add to the card? Or even post some screen shots of how one adds info and what the card looks like?

Thanks! This is a feature I've long wanted, and I'm (perhaps excessively) excited for it.

An aside: why do these apps always have the option to display your blood type? No emergency responder or hospital is going to give you type-specific blood based on what you write in an app: you'll get O-negative in an emergency until they've been able to perform the test for themselves. Hell, they don't even administer blood based on dog tag declarations in the Army: that's really just a quick way to identify donors when a specific blood type is needed. /rant
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:35 AM   #359
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melb00m View Post
This has always worked on iPhone. You can switch your phone off, the alarm will sound (if set).
Why not just try things out before posting false statements.
Sounds like you might want to try it out: set an alarm, power off the phone (as in completely turn it off), and then see if the alarm goes off.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:36 AM   #360
powerbook911
macrumors 68030

I guess dashboard is gone in Yosemite? You must now use widgets inside dashboard?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:37 AM   #361
TheKrs1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuipdboy1000 View Post
How does the medical card from the lock screen work? I haven't seen any screenshots of it. Or has it just not been implemented yet?
On the lock screen, if you click "emergency", as though you were making an emergency call before... the bottom left shows "Medical ID" which loads the users Medical Card (information that the user supplies. Emergency contacts, allergies, blood type, donor preference, medications etc.) I see this being a really helpful tool. When iOS 8 comes out I hope people educate users about this feature. The one drawback I see is that it asks people to include physical features (height, weight, eye colour etc). I bet some people will leave these fields blank or fill them with false information. That will leave first responders without enough information to ensure an unresponsive victim matches the Medical ID stored in the phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbook911 View Post
I guess dashboard is gone in Yosemite? You must now use widgets inside dashboard?
You're in the iOS 8 thread.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:38 AM   #362
matt2053
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
For the people who don't restart their phones very often...

"Touch ID requires your passcode ager 48 hours"

Just got that message. I was already annoyed about having to type it in every time I restart! I wish the passcode could be made optional when using Touch ID.
It's been this way since iOS 7.0
matt2053 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:50 AM   #363
TheKrs1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
Just want to confirm: even when the phone is locked, it is possible for anyone with physical access to your phone to call your emergency contacts (just as they are now able to call 911)? This is really the most essential feature of such an ICE app -- allowing emergency responders to contact your family even if you are incapacitated -- and I've not seen anyone yet explicitly confirm it.
Yes. From the lock screen:
1. Emergency in bottom right - Like you were dialling 911
2. Emergency Call loads as before - Bottom left shows *Medical ID
3. Pressing Medical ID loads your Medical Card and allows 1 touch dialing of any and all Emergency Contacts listed.
Quote:
Also, can anyone who's tested the feature tell me if there is a limit to the number of emergency contacts or other information one can add to the card? Or even post some screen shots of how one adds info and what the card looks like?
I've already filled mine with personal information, so a screenshot isn't that helpful. It's basically the same thing as a contact card in Contacts.App only it includes related fields. I have 5 emergency contacts, and I believe i could add more.
You can add:
  • Medical Conditions
  • Medical Notes
  • Allergies & Reactions
  • Medications
  • Emergency Contacts
  • Birthdate
  • Blood Type
  • Organ Donar Declaration
  • Weight / Height / Eye Color
Quote:
Thanks! This is a feature I've long wanted, and I'm (perhaps excessively) excited for it.

An aside: why do these apps always have the option to display your blood type? No emergency responder or hospital is going to give you type-specific blood based on what you write in an app: you'll get O-negative in an emergency until they've been able to perform the test for themselves. Hell, they don't even administer blood based on dog tag declarations in the Army: that's really just a quick way to identify donors when a specific blood type is needed. /rant
I think they include this information in the event of a major catastrophe. In a mass casualty situation, where O-negative is in limited or no supply, they might risk matching the blood a patient indicates if they are going to die without treatment?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsvchris View Post
Is the Family sharing feature already out? Canīt find it in the App store nor with Spotlight.
And which apps can be already configured into the Health app?
Family Sharing is in Settings.app under "iCloud". I sent an invite to my wife, but she isn't on the iOS 8 beta and she didn't receive any notification to accept.

Health.App appears to be using the same protocol as Contacts/Calendars/Photos/Etc. In that developers will have to request permission to interact with Health.App. Until we see apps released that include this request, there are no apps that can be currently configured into Health.app (unless you're coding one).
TheKrs1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:50 AM   #364
innominato5090
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEconomist View Post
I seem to recall a New York Times tab option in the iBook application during the presentation.

Did I really see that? What is that?
NYTimes bestseller books. It has been there for a while.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:52 AM   #365
VSMacOne
macrumors 68030

I thought this was worth mentioning in this thread as well:

1. When predictive type is turned ON the shortcut for double tapping the Space bar to get a "." Is not working.

2. In addition to being able to turn off Predictive Type you can also just hide it by swiping down on the gray bar that shows the words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	474757  
VSMacOne is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:53 AM   #366
adamtj11
macrumors 6502

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but swiping up for control centre while the keyboard is also open no longer results in multiple incorrect key presses.
adamtj11 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:53 AM   #367
3bs
macrumors 603

Can you hide the recents and favourite contacts from the multitasking view?
3bs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:54 AM   #368
Antoni Nygaard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtj11 View Post
Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but swiping up for control centre while the keyboard is also open no longer results in multiple incorrect key presses.
Nice! i always had to swipe more than once because it pressed the keys instead.
Antoni Nygaard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:56 AM   #369
Dino F
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSMacOne View Post

1. When predictive type is turned ON the shortcut for double tapping the Space bar to get a "." Is not working.

2. In addition to being able to turn off Predictive Type you can also just hide it by swiping down on the gray bar that shows the words.
......apologies as this has already been mentioned but I quite like the smiley icon for the emojis (as shown in your image) better than the current globe icon we have in iOS7!!
Dino F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:01 AM   #370
VSMacOne
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino F View Post
......apologies as this has already been mentioned but I quite like the smiley icon for the emojis (as shown in your image) better than the current globe icon we have in iOS7!!
I noticed that if you add an additional keyboard the icon switches back to the globe as before.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:03 AM   #371
fastthumbs
macrumors newbie

Apple Store app shortcut on lock screen

Here's a new one: if you have the Apple Store app installed, and you're in (or near) an Apple Store, iOS displays a camera-style pullup shortcut to the app on the lock screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7595.PNG
Views:	303
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	474760  
fastthumbs is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:03 AM   #372
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSMacOne View Post

Ohh... That would be bad I use that all the time
The Doctor11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:05 AM   #373
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

One of the little things that I want to be taken care of is this little line in quick reply
Attached Images

The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:09 AM   #374
kdhoe
macrumors member

I don't know it has been mentioned yet, but Safari has now support for WebGL.
kdhoe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:15 AM   #375
mikeo007
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhoe View Post
I don't know it has been mentioned yet, but Safari has now support for WebGL.
Good catch. I noticed the HTML5 score was up a bit, but didn't realize that it was partly because webGL was now supported.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 8