Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
No. Still pretty happy with the phone/mini-supercomputer I get to carry around in my pocket. But then again, there was no internet when I was young or even in college and my first job was with two different main frame systems.

What I am sick of is driving. I want my damn flying cars that fly themselves :mad:

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I don't think it has been the same phone for 4 years, each year has been exciting with new features and I applaud Apple for making the best smartphone on the market (in my opinion because I know somebody is going to argue with me) for the past 7 years.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
The 5/5S is not that much different in form than the 4/4S. Even with iOS 7, which is not dramatically different either, it still feels sort of stale. How has Apple gotten away with this?

I hope your wife doesn't see this thread.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I buy a phone to use, so how it works in day to day usage is most important. And on that regard, iPhones are excellent.

Of course if the phone looks premium, that's a nice plus. But not as important as how it works.

----------

Ha, so true!

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
This is true with other manufacturers as well. How much different does S3, S4, S5 look? pretty similar. HTC? same. If you are comparing operating system where Android has Samsung, HTC, Motorola and so on with different looking phone, that's different from iPhone since only Apple makes iOS.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think most people are probably bored with the overall look and feel, as well as the lack of features compared to droids. The ONLY reason I have stuck w iPhone is the smoothness of the interface.

I think most people don't care about it as much as you think they do. Most people are happy with a phone that does whatever functions they want and just works, not a ton of people care that much about what it looks like as long as it isn't some horrible design.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Apple isn't a company that's going to make drastic changes just for the sake of change.

iPhone is a great looking phone and has plenty of features that allows it to get the job done better than the competition. If you want dramatic changes each year then you should probably switch to different manufacturers each year. Most people who have iPhones love them and are satisfied with the design.

Why can't it maintain the same standard of excellence while keeping up feature wise with droids? Apple introduces features at a snails pace that are nearly dated by the time they come out.

----------

Lol, the guy who complains about every single change ever made with iOS (see OP posting history) is now complaining about the lack of change? :D

And further to the point of this tread, the look and style of the iPhone is part of its brand. It's not gonna change radically, the same way cars keeps certain styling features similar between generations. Hence why when you compare a Mercedes from the 1970s up to the latest models, they still have their signature style carried over the decades.

Fair enough on the Benz analogy, although I only complain about changes that are inferior.

----------

I think its nearly impossible to maintain the same level of excitement that people had when they bought a smartphone (like an iPhone) for the first time.

Apple can add a bigger screen, touch ID -- and that provides a sense of novelty for awhile but eventually you get used to it.

Best answer yet. However, like I said above, I just wish they would stay ahead of their competition in terms of releasing basic features.

----------

Haha

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Im loving it. It is not essentially the same phone. They are like the previous phone but had feature that it did not have. Apple can not make huge changes. They must make small changes over time. If apple were to make huge changes people would not except the phone or like it has much. You never want some one to feel there last phone was better for any reason. And I think that is what apple is doing making small changes over time. What more could you want?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think most people are probably bored with the overall look and feel
What you consider stale and boring, others might consider familiar. For some users, familiar is good. One of the reasons I gave my parents iPhones is for consistency (and easy backup/syncing of contacts). Back when they were still on dumbphones, they've always hated having to learn a new interface whenever they're forced to replace their old, broken phones.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Have you gotten sick of essentially the same phone for 4 years now? Reply to Thread
Nope. Have you not gotten stick of essentially posting the same thread over the years? Move on to something else if you're sick of it.

Why can't it maintain the same standard of excellence while keeping up feature wise with droids? Apple introduces features at a snails pace that are nearly dated by the time they come out.
Try actually developing hardware and writing the associated code and then report back with your answer. Not saying it's impossible but implementing changes (especially doing so quickly) always runs the risk of introducing problems.

You need to decide which is your bigger priority and act on it instead of constantly griping about the same things over and over. Is it the new features or the smoothness of the interface? Take your pick and act accordingly.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Nope. Have you not gotten stick of essentially posting the same thread over the years? Move on to something else if you're sick of it.

Try actually developing hardware and writing the associated code and then report back with your answer. Not saying it's impossible but implementing changes (especially doing so quickly) always runs the risk of introducing problems.

You need to decide which is your bigger priority and act on it instead of constantly griping about the same things over and over. Is it the new features or the smoothness of the interface? Take your pick and act accordingly.
Sorry, it doesn't work like that. One of the biggest companies by revenue on earth and the biggest tech company in the world should be expected to consistently perform with excellence, innovating and setting standards. By your ridiculous logic, professional movie critics should be discredited because they haven't directed a better movie?

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Every once in awhile I get antsy and look at Android/Windows, but the smoothness of the iOS interface + integration with my other Apple products + privacy and security issues + dislike of Google in general always keeps me with Apple. (And Windows just doesn't appeal all that much tbh.)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think most people are probably bored with the overall look and feel, as well as the lack of features compared to droids. The ONLY reason I have stuck w iPhone is the smoothness of the interface.

Based on this thread and the amount of iPhone users verses everything else I see around I would say you are wrong.
It's true your first iPhone is the greatest one you owned (well at least for me) because my previous phone was well crap to be honest.
But I'll buy the next iPhone because it has the familiar thing I like, like iOS, my apps, my content oh and it just works!

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yes, but thats because I have had my iPhone 4 since 2011.

Since iOS 8 isn't coming to iPhone 4 and Apple is finally make a 4.7" display, I'm planning to preorder the second its avaliable.

But seriously...when you put a case on and actually use your phone, I don't think you really care that much about "being the same as 4 years ago".

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Actually, it's the opposite for me. I've gotten sick of new "upgrades" every few months - non of which address ongoing issues while adding more useless stuff.

Not looking forward to a bigger iphone 6 either. I actually just talked to my provider to get another 5s and hope that it lasts for a while without getting new iOS versions forces into the phone's memory (like apple did to me with iOS 7 which I don't care much for)

Same with macs. I'll be buying another iMac soon to avoid ending up with one that runs anything different than my current Mac and MacBooks. Can't stand the obsession with having to adjust to new "features" and layouts every few months. They should leave it alone and fix the stuff that is buggy first. That's one thing I miss about the old ms windows world. You could just leave it be once it worked.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Nope, not in the least. The only thing I find wanting in my phone is battery life.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I never used same iPhone twice.. I'll explain:

I got my first iPhone in 2007.

I got my first retina iPhone in 2010.

I got my first iPhone 5 (taller screen) in 2012.

It's new every time so I don't get stuck with same design/size. Same thing to Mac:

I got my first PowerMac in 2002 (PPC, remember?)

I got my first Intel MBP in 2008 (Intel)

I got my first rMBP in 2013 (retina)

Again, it's new every time so I don't get stuck with same design/size.

Hope I make sense.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I'm not bored of it in the way I'm not bored of my cutlery. It does what I need.

I'm seeing a lot of the "it just works" mentality in this thread. That's nice and all, that your $500 phone "works"....but is that really where we're gonna set the bar? In 2014?

Last edited by a moderator:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I'm seeing a lot of the "it just works" mentality in this thread. That's nice and all, that your $500 phone "works"....but is that really where we're gonna set the bar? In 2014?

Where do you set the bar? If the iPhone isn't meeting your bar, don't use it. It seems pretty simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.