Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes, we get this thread every year and people who get "bored" with the iPhone need to get out more. However, if I tell them they should get a hobby my post gets deleted by a mod.

mevikram1389

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
By building great phones that the consumer wants :cool:

If you're bored with the look of the phone, then get something else. I think a phone should be measured by how well it fits a need and works, then what it looks like. I'm not against visual design, but lets not put that ahead of other metrics.

i am planning to buy iphone 4s. but i am little bit confuse in 4s or moto G. I need fast phone or with great working performance as well as fast camera. please help me to choose right phone

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I've never posted on any other forum...

Uh, yes you have. Same user name as well. I can provide a list of your interminable threads complaining about the iPhone if you'd like. But carry on.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not sick of the build quality and UI. Actually, I'm not ever sick of the screen size.

People talk about iPhone build quality a lot. Sure they're made of metal and glass, with very little plastic, but loose buttons and rattles don't equate to good build quality to me. Even the square on my home button is non-central. I have seen more iPhones with rattley buttons than I would care to mention. Samsung may make plastic phones, but the buttons are perfect. That's good build quality to me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
People talk about iPhone build quality a lot. Sure they're made of metal and glass, with very little plastic, but loose buttons and rattles don't equate to good build quality to me. Even the square on my home button is non-central. I have seen more iPhones with rattley buttons than I would care to mention. Samsung may make plastic phones, but the buttons are perfect. That's good build quality to me.

Loose buttons and rattles don't cut it with me either. Although I'm sure out of the millions and millions of 5s's sold a few have issues and the posters wound up here beefing about them. But in real life I have yet to see any 5s's with loose buttons, yellow or pink screens. I'm sure they exist, but not like this fora would make you to believe.

Edit: I happen to like Samsung, have a number of their appliances. But there is no way you can statistically compare apple quality with samsung quality. Unless you are in a very unique position dealing with both companies returns.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
At this point in time seems as though the technology isn't there yet for the two screen, or curved or other type of iPhone. The hardware will change soon, be patient

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Loose buttons and rattles don't cut it with me either. Although I'm sure out of the millions and millions of 5s's sold a few have issues and the posters wound up here beefing about them. But in real life I have yet to see any 5s's with loose buttons, yellow or pink screens. I'm sure they exist, but not like this fora would make you to believe.

Edit: I happen to like Samsung, have a number of their appliances. But there is no way you can statistically compare apple quality with samsung quality. Unless you are in a very unique position dealing with both companies returns.

I'm sure that Apple's after sales service is by far the best. That is unarguable. However, I disagree with your claims about the number of loose iPhone buttons out there. I rejected my first five i5 handsets due to loose buttons. Two of my friends have an i5 and they have loose buttons. Mine has loose volume buttons. The web is full of people complaining about rattling buttons. Sure there are some iPhones out there with tight buttons, my old i4 was one of them, but I would say the majority have loose button issues at some point.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
would you be less bored if they changed it every three months and saw the resale value fall through the floor as a consequence? Your favorite accessory not available for your particular model, your favorite minority-interest app not compatible with your particular handsets feature set?

Theres enough moving targets to try and keep up with in modern technology. Phones shouldn't be one of them. A significant change once every three or four years with incremental annual upgrades is probably the most sensible way of doing it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm sure that Apple's after sales service is by far the best. That is unarguable. However, I disagree with your claims about the number of loose iPhone buttons out there. I rejected my first five i5 handsets due to loose buttons. Two of my friends have an i5 and they have loose buttons. Mine has loose volume buttons. The web is full of people complaining about rattling buttons. Sure there are some iPhones out there with tight buttons, my old i4 was one of them, but I would say the majority have loose button issues at some point.

Ah you are referring to iphone 5 and I am referring to iphone 5s. I'm sure apple "cut their teeth" on the iphone 5 as it was a new design at the time, however that you personally sent 5 back does indicate the percentage of total that had a problem or if you were hypersensitive; which is my point rather than a zero defect rate which will never happen.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Ah you are referring to iphone 5 and I am referring to iphone 5s. I'm sure apple "cut their teeth" on the iphone 5 as it was a new design at the time, however that you personally sent 5 back does indicate the percentage of total that had a problem or if you were hypersensitive; which is my point rather than a zero defect rate which will never happen.

New design or not, buttons are a simple affair and remained very similar/identical to the 4 and 4S (which also had a slew of loose button complaints). My i4 was perfect however.
My point is that build quality doesn't just relate to the materials used, ie plastic or metal, but the fit/finish/longevity of things like buttons etc. A metal box doesn't cost much to make and nor is it indicative of good build quality.

Sure I'm downheartened by my own i5, which has been a problematic phone, but I know that I'm not in the minority. Everyone I know who owns an i5 has loose buttons and a dreadful battery life. So after a near faultless experience with my i4, it has been followed by a dreadful experience with my i5. Build quality issues, woeful signal strength and a poor battery life to name but three. Hopefully the iPhone 6 will have much better quality control. They charge a premium for these things and yet ship them out in their millions with a poor QC in my opinion.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
First it's a phone to. Make phone calls.
Extras
-amazing camera/ video
-screen
-internet communicator
-game console
-many more and I absolutely love it.

Everything it has it does very smooth, unlike other brands.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
It's been essentially the same phone, that's why I haven't upgrade from 3GS yet.

There really is nothing worth upgrading for. Only 1GB RAM, camera is still "meh" nothing to justify and upgrade, iOS 6 has all the functionality I need.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
New design or not, buttons are a simple affair and remained very similar/identical to the 4 and 4S (which also had a slew of loose button complaints). My i4 was perfect however.
My point is that build quality doesn't just relate to the materials used, ie plastic or metal, but the fit/finish/longevity of things like buttons etc. A metal box doesn't cost much to make and nor is it indicative of good build quality.

Sure I'm downheartened by my own i5, which has been a problematic phone, but I know that I'm not in the minority. Everyone I know who owns an i5 has loose buttons and a dreadful battery life. So after a near faultless experience with my i4, it has been followed by a dreadful experience with my i5. Build quality issues, woeful signal strength and a poor battery life to name but three. Hopefully the iPhone 6 will have much better quality control. They charge a premium for these things and yet ship them out in their millions with a poor QC in my opinion.

An upscale metal aluminum box such as on the 5 costs more than extruded plastic and is much more recyclable, but with apple, the build quality of all of their devices is generally beyond reproach. But you are correct metal or plastic, one or the other does not guarantee good build quality.

However, no one I know that has an iphone 5 complains about loose buttons, battery life or signal qualiry. The one friend that started to complain about battery life, had the problem diagnosed as an errant app. Delete the app solved the issue.

So while I understand your feelings toward your iphone based on your posted issues, I can liken it to a Lexus consumer who won a lemon law recall for a car with a myriad of issues.

There are bound to be a small amount of issues with anything manufactured. However, you unfortunately seemed to be plagued with all of them. That does not indicate poor QC on apples part. No manufacturer is immune from producing lemons.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's been essentially the same phone, that's why I haven't upgrade from 3GS yet.

There really is nothing worth upgrading for. Only 1GB RAM, camera is still "meh" nothing to justify and upgrade, iOS 6 has all the functionality I need.

The 5S is light years ahead of the 3GS in almost every way. A bigger, higher resolution screen. A much faster processor. Much better graphics capabilities. A camera which is light years better. Better build quality....and numerous new features. I can see why someone wouldn't upgrade every 12 months but man, the 3GS is really old tech.

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
Can't say bored.

The iPhone 5s is still the most gorgeous looking phone out there (the only one that comes close is the HTC One). Every tiny details have been considered and refined, literally.

That being said, it's been 4 years, the overall change is small, def need something a little bit fresh. And TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Have you gotten sick of essentially the same phone for 4 years now?

The 5/5S is not that much different in form than the 4/4S. Even with iOS 7, which is not dramatically different either, it still feels sort of stale. How has Apple gotten away with this?

Not sick or bored at all. It all depends on perspective. I think iOS 7 is dramatically different and can do so much more with an iPhone 5S. I suppose, if one considers, I can use the same Facebook app and same Twitter app, though with millions of apps available, boredom is sad. If one is bored, just download some new apps. The iPhone 5S can run the Nike Moves app much better with the dedicated motion chip. Apps from Autodesk or the Cycloramic app are really amazing and built around using the 64 bit iOS 7 that requires an iPhone 5S.

Last edited:

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA

I was more addressing my personal experience. I have a launch day 4s that is still going strong, other than diminished battery life. I do not baby it. I do have an Otterbox Commuter for when I'm rough housing with it, otherwise it's in a candy shell with the OB screen protector. My wife has a 4s for personal and a 4 for work and has no problems with them either. I had Samsung phones prior to going to Blackberry and I found them to have a high failure rate.

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
While I agree that the iphone works great and overall the ecosystem is pretty good, I still think apple needs to add some new hardware/features. Touch ID was nice, m7 might be important but it's not a game changer.

I DO think water proofing, 2 day battery, wireless charging, NFC are important features. Apple May give us one of these, but not more than that.

I guess we will see in September/October. Who cares, either way I'm getting it and I'll love it for 18 months until I want something new...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm using an S5 as my daily driver currently. It replaced my iPhone 5S.

I'll probably get the iPhone 6 in September.

It really not a big deal to switch off between devices from time to time if you want something different

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I'm using an S5 as my daily driver currently. It replaced my iPhone 5S.

I'll probably get the iPhone 6 in September.

It really not a big deal to switch off between devices from time to time if you want something different

This is what I have been trying to do. I develop for all devices so I have a lot of test devices around. Its good to switch around to get some opinions on other phones and try some stuff out, not get TOO attached to iPhone and their ecosystem. However for an average user this can be frustrating with song purchases, apps, etc.

I could not use the same phone for 4 years... I know its a phone but change is good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.