Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
Bono looks like he did a Giant bong hit about 5 min before that pic was taken... not that I'd know anything about that of course...

He just looks supremely disinterested to me. Like "-the **** am I doing here? And who's this ***hole with the giant head to my left?".

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Here we go, casual happy friends photo.

Attachments

• bono_ive_cannes_lionscasual.jpg
    bono_ive_cannes_lionscasual.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 113

macs4nw

macrumors 601
It's hard to deny the facetiousness of it all...

Remember when Bono teamed up with Oprah, to sell iPods? That was another debacle in of itself, or would be for Oprah several months later when she got flustered over school kids she interviewed wanting iPods... why not tell them that they can get good grades and use that to get a job to make the money needed to buy one? But that's from 2007, the distant past...

And the best charity is done anonymously (but it prevents the advertising, ego trip, and product placement that go along with it...)

I'm sorry, but I disagree. These people are using their celebrity status to do their part to make the world a better place. What's wrong with that?

Some of them do more for good causes, than many of us complainers do.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Leave it to MacRumors members to complain about a company's charitable activities. :rolleyes:

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
So this is how it ends. RED is Bono's retirement plan. (Fleece the suckers.) And it appears it's Ive's as well. A little disappointing, as you'd think Sir Jony would have made enough to retire quietly and not want to earn his place among the rich arseh*les club. But I should have seen it coming. He's been in too deep with RED from the beginning.

RED's scam has been well documented over the years. Companies spending more on advertising RED and making themselves look good, than they end up donating from sales. And RED's funds being spent on salaries, self promotion, and big pharma.

Mentally deficient, bitter and blaming downloads for the public's disinterest in his old-man's music, Bono decided to convert the only thing he had left, celebrity, into godhood and fleece the public that's turned on his creative soul with the richman's charity scam.

And sadly, Sir Jony seems to have taken the low road too. This is why Jobs eschewed charity, because he knew it was mostly rich people lining their pockets with poor people's money, while making themselves look good. And most importantly, not doing anything for the people they were supposed to help.

Put these together for yourself.
  • Quite a few top Apple executives deciding they've made enough family sacrifices and (rightfully) deciding it's time to take their money and leave
  • Ive wanting to raise his children in England
  • Despite being touted as the replacement Jobs tastemaker at Apple
  • And making such a huge appearance at WWDC last year
  • And having a similar influence over OS X this year, a no show at WWDC, first time not appearing at a keynote since Jobs' return
  • Keynote at pains to show what a" team effort" it is - by handing the baton to Federighie

Ive is quietly trading spiritual leadership at Apple, for returning home to Bono's brand of godhood. Thanks for everything Jony and good luck with that.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I'm sorry, but I disagree. These people are using their celebrity status to do their part to make the world a better place. What's wrong with that?

Some of them do more for good causes, than many of us complainers do.

Bono doesn't. The amount of tax he dodges every year would feed millions. There are many that give money and don't need the world to know about it.
Bono is in it purely for himself.

Someone who buys a plane ticket on Concorde so his hat can travel in first class is a pretentious attention seeking moron.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I remember when U2 was good - been a real long time.
Bono has always been full of his own feeling of self importance.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
They probably just tweaked the levels & curves in Photoshop... Airbrushing is a little old-school ;)

Hahaha,, touche!!! :D You're right, contrast seems to be high too, but then again black does frame the face more than any other color

----------

Here we go, casual happy friends photo.

They should hire you, seriously much nicer and relatable

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
So what I've learned from reading through this thread so far:

People really don't like Bono.
People really 'have an opinion' about pictures of people.
Conspiracy is alive and well, and still hilarious.
People are idiots, by and large.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Why not release a RED iPhone and iPad if they really care about raising money? They would fly off the shelves

Instead they auction a red Mac Pro so one rich guy can have it as a status symbol

What's the logic? Is it about raising money for a cause or a status symbol?

RED Mac Pro was a kind of a tasteless thing in my opinion. RED iPhone is certainly an interesting idea, it appeals to me more than gold model. Apple had RED iPhone bumpers, RED iPad cases and RED iPod Touch and it looks really nice.

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
It's easy to see why ppl hate Bono for his hypocritical fundraising-while-taxdodging. The millions he put into his own pocket that way... You should come to Amsterdam and see all the plaques of the holding companies on the most beautiful houses on the most expensive canal streets. U2, Rolling Stones, BBC, Apple, IKEA...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So what I've learned from reading through this thread so far:

People really don't like Bono.
People really 'have an opinion' about pictures of people.
Conspiracy is alive and well, and still hilarious.
People are idiots, by and large.

Pretty much. Of course people seem to forget that Apple's involvement with RED started under Jobs. And Jobs and Bono were friends (Bono spoke at Jobs private memorial service).

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
It's easy to see why ppl hate Bono for his hypocritical fundraising-while-taxdodging. The millions he put into his own pocket that way... You should come to Amsterdam and see all the plaques of the holding companies on the most beautiful houses on the most expensive canal streets. U2, Rolling Stones, BBC, Apple, IKEA...

It's not illegal to be tax efficient. It might not seem ethical, but it's not illegal, and I'd hazard a guess that ANYBODY here would do the same thing if they were international and had the resources.
Look into the facts and the reasons for companies like U2 doing what they did. Also, balance out what such a huge corporation has done for the economy - U2 are a massive employer for example. I'm not going to bang on about it here as these arguments are always centred on whether a person 'likes' Bono or not, and it's a playground fight that can't be won either way.
U2, Rolling Stones,BBC,Apple, IKEA - internationally you'll find many more than 5 corporations anonymously ransacking your tax loopholes behind your back, laying off your workforce, and leaving your economy bereft and broken. Philanthropists they are not.

k4rrjin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Bono IS the record!

Remembering the SouthPark episode I really had to laugh: of course Bono isn't number two on that poster but his name has to go first!

Still feels like such a piece of ****....

yeah yeah yeah yeeeaaaahhh!

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
So this is how it ends. RED is Bono's retirement plan. (Fleece the suckers.) And it appears it's Ive's as well. A little disappointing, as you'd think Sir Jony would have made enough to retire quietly and not want to earn his place among the rich arseh*les club. But I should have seen it coming. He's been in too deep with RED from the beginning.

RED's scam has been well documented over the years. Companies spending more on advertising RED and making themselves look good, than they end up donating from sales. And RED's funds being spent on salaries, self promotion, and big pharma.

Mentally deficient, bitter and blaming downloads for the public's disinterest in his old-man's music, Bono decided to convert the only thing he had left, celebrity, into godhood and fleece the public that's turned on his creative soul with the richman's charity scam.

And sadly, Sir Jony seems to have taken the low road too. This is why Jobs eschewed charity, because he knew it was mostly rich people lining their pockets with poor people's money, while making themselves look good. And most importantly, not doing anything for the people they were supposed to help.

Put these together for yourself.
  • Quite a few top Apple executives deciding they've made enough family sacrifices and (rightfully) deciding it's time to take their money and leave
  • Ive wanting to raise his children in England
  • Despite being touted as the replacement Jobs tastemaker at Apple
  • And making such a huge appearance at WWDC last year
  • And having a similar influence over OS X this year, a no show at WWDC, first time not appearing at a keynote since Jobs' return
  • Keynote at pains to show what a" team effort" it is - by handing the baton to Federighie

Ive is quietly trading spiritual leadership at Apple, for returning home to Bono's brand of godhood. Thanks for everything Jony and good luck with that.

Very good post. Here are my guesses about what is going on with Ive - take it or leave it: He is not a leader and has no desire to be. Since Jobs' death, Ive has been held prisoner by Apple execs - I wouldn't be surprised if he has been threatened. Ive took his job way too seriously and became pious and spiritually ill as a result - he wanted to save the world and thought he might have done just that. Before iOS 7, everyone worshipped Ive. After iOS 7, everyone turned on him.

Basically, it all went to his head. And he went crazy being a slave of post-Jobs Apple. Honestly, it's horrible. But he got to live a life that every other industrial designer would kill for.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
it's never been about raising money. It's all about publicity.

Of course it is. Bono is a biggest media whore out there. Why doesn't he use his trillions of dollars to solve all of the worldly problems? U2 is a terrible band too.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.