Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I've said it before, but it was around the time that Craig flung an email from an iPad to a Mac when I realized we're on the precipice of something which is going to be indispensable to future generations.

Indeed, this is truly going to change the human race forever in ways so profound that we're unable to grasp the implications.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Indeed, this is truly going to change the human race forever in ways so profound that we're unable to grasp the implications.

Exactly! Out of curiosity, how tall is the monument you're constructing in commemoration of this feature? I'm currently at 7ft with no end in sight. :p

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Been working fairly well between my iPhone 5s and 2013 nMac Pro 8-Core since release. Most know both devices have to be logged into the same iCloud account, yet I noticed my Mac Pro was Bluetooth "auto-paired" on my iPhone and I cannot "Forget this Device". Seems there's a few things at work.

Been able to start an email on my iPhone, wait, click on "Mail" on the left side, then work on that email. If the email isn't saved or sent, it's deleted on both devices. I found the "Maps" functionality the most useful.

Noticed the more I use 10.10 the better it performs. I don't understand how, or if this is a placebo effect, but it seems to adapt the more it's used. One key, after first install wait for the system to finish optimizing; some claim it takes 1-2 days, some a few hours, but if interrupted some claim the system stammers for a few days.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 12.04.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 12.04.37 AM.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,699
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 12.24.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 12.24.33 AM.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,727

ZeroBeat

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Mhmmmm, can't wait for my battery to drain even quicker having to need bluetooth on all the time if I want this to work smoothly.

"We've had a breakthrough in our battery technology (so you can use our features for just a little longer)" - Future Apple Speech.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Its called Google/chrome to phone. Nice :0

We're talking about Apple software. Google is a different company completely.. Welcome to the thread.

----------

Mhmmmm, can't wait for my battery to drain even quicker having to need bluetooth on all the time if I want this to work smoothly.

"We've had a breakthrough in our battery technology (so you can use our features for just a little longer)" - Future Apple Speech.

You people and your battery lol... I have had every feature possible enabled on all of my iPhones.. I have never found the need to disable things to extend the battery. This worried obsession over battery life on these forums really confuses me.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
From the videos, I understood how Handoff works when moving from the iPhone/iPad to the Mac but it did not demonstrate it the other way round. Sometimes, when I'm working on my laptop, I might need to go somewhere and eventually stop whatever I was doing and move on to the phone.

I suppose if I have the Handoff feature turned on, I can just open the app on my phone or iPad and continue from there?

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
From the videos, I understood how Handoff works when moving from the iPhone/iPad to the Mac but it did not demonstrate it the other way round. Sometimes, when I'm working on my laptop, I might need to go somewhere and eventually stop whatever I was doing and move on to the phone.

I suppose if I have the Handoff feature turned on, I can just open the app on my phone or iPad and continue from there?

The app shows up in the bottom left corner of the lock screen, and you swipe up to enter the app.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

My bluetooth is already on 24/7 (paired to pebble, occasional airdrop), anything which lets me use it more often is always welcome. :)

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Been working fairly well between my iPhone 5s and 2013 nMac Pro 8-Core since release. Most know both devices have to be logged into the same iCloud account, yet I noticed my Mac Pro was Bluetooth "auto-paired" on my iPhone and I cannot "Forget this Device". Seems there's a few things at work.

Been able to start an email on my iPhone, wait, click on "Mail" on the left side, then work on that email. If the email isn't saved or sent, it's deleted on both devices. I found the "Maps" functionality the most useful.

Noticed the more I use 10.10 the better it performs. I don't understand how, or if this is a placebo effect, but it seems to adapt the more it's used. One key, after first install wait for the system to finish optimizing; some claim it takes 1-2 days, some a few hours, but if interrupted some claim the system stammers for a few days.
Wow those icons are hideous.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

Yes. And with any half-way decent cloud provider you can do that today as well. And have been able to for several years already.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Handoff? Try fumble. If this _works_ anything like iCloud syncing then I am expecting many future errors.

cue003

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
The phone call feature is cool BUT they should have allowed that to be started and SWITCHED between the mac and the phone. I would like to start a call on my mac because my phone isn't close and then be able to head out the door and continue the conversation.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
The second video: minute and a half of the guy yapping and intro, thirty seconds of actually showing what the video title promised.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
The phone call feature is cool BUT they should have allowed that to be started and SWITCHED between the mac and the phone. I would like to start a call on my mac because my phone isn't close and then be able to head out the door and continue the conversation.

This makes no sense. If your phone isn't near you when you answer a phone call. You'd have to get up mid call, walk away from your pc, find your phone then start talking again.

I think you are just nit picking a little.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Just wondering if anyone knows if handoff works in reverse? Could I start an email on my Mac, and handoff to the ipad to go finish on the couch?

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I'm very sceptical of the new, flat OSX design from a practical viewpoint. It's one thing having a flat design on an iPad screen, but it's another thing entirely having the same flat design on a big computer screen, which will be front of people for many hours every day.
Having 3D effects and shading on menus and windows makes it easier for the eyes to focus on a specific visual element, and I'm not sure how comfortable a relatively flat 2D style will be during long work sessions. Also the new font doesn't work for me at all.
I think I will stick with Mavericks for quite some time yet. I've noticed that present versions of Yosemite is working much slower than Mavericks....remember Lion? I hope Apple will deliver a properly optimised OSX also this time around, like Mavericks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.