Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I don't see why not. If you already have 7.1.1 on your iPad 3 then iOS 8 is just an updated version of it. Hopefully they will have improved the code to allow the older iPad's that are supported to run smoother.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I avoid upgrading to iOS 7.0xxx

When iOS 7.1 was released, I finally updated updated and performance was like iOS6.

I will upgrade to iOS 8 but only went they work out the kinks.

iPad 3 will be on it's last legs with iOS8

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I avoid upgrading to iOS 7.0xxx

When iOS 7.1 was released, I finally updated updated and performance was like iOS6.

I will upgrade to iOS 8 but only went they work out the kinks.

iPad 3 will be on it's last legs with iOS8

Apple seems trying to make sure as many devices possible Ivan be upgraded to latest OS. If they were dropping all A5 devices on iOS 9, that would be whole lots of devices out of support line. That includes iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad mini, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5.... I still think A5 could get iOS 9... But that is too far away to think anyway

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If apple does what it did for iOS7, its going to get downloaded onto the iPad/iPhone anyways.

I didn't have any issues with iOS 7.0 but we'll have to wait and see how stable the 8.0 version will be.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Apple seems trying to make sure as many devices possible Ivan be upgraded to latest OS. If they were dropping all A5 devices on iOS 9, that would be whole lots of devices out of support line. That includes iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad mini, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5.... I still think A5 could get iOS 9... But that is too far away to think anyway

While I agree, remember that the Retina screen in the 3 taxes that SOC far further then those other devices ever were taxed. If they maintain A5 support I don't expect the iPad 3 to be maintained.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
While I agree, remember that the Retina screen in the 3 taxes that SOC far further then those other devices ever were taxed. If they maintain A5 support I don't expect the iPad 3 to be maintained.

Does really matter about how A5X is underpowered or something else. People expecting newer devices gets longer support than older devices. If iPad 2 gets iOS 9 update, iPad 3 must have. I highly doubt Apple will drop 2 or 3 iPads at same time next year along with iPhone 4S and iPod Touch. That is 5 devices all together, that is too many. If Apple do this, it will accelerate its fragmentation much faster. There are lots of people have A5 devices, maybe more than A6 devices combined (iPad 4 and iPhone 5 only).

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Does really matter about how A5X is underpowered or something else. People expecting newer devices gets longer support than older devices. If iPad 2 gets iOS 9 update, iPad 3 must have. I highly doubt Apple will drop 2 or 3 iPads at same time next year along with iPhone 4S and iPod Touch. That is 5 devices all together, that is too many. If Apple do this, it will accelerate its fragmentation much faster. There are lots of people have A5 devices, maybe more than A6 devices combined (iPad 4 and iPhone 5 only).

They dropped iOS 8 for iPhone 4 (512mb ram and single core A4).

Apple will drop iOS 9 support for iPad mini, iPad 3 and iPhone 4s.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If apple does what it did for iOS7, its going to get downloaded onto the iPad/iPhone anyways.

I didn't have any issues with iOS 7.0 but we'll have to wait and see how stable the 8.0 version will be.

Yep this is true.. Unless the user takes weird steps to disconnect WiFi during charge, or fills up the iPad to prevent auto download; anyone on iOS 7 and below will find the new OS auto downloaded, undeletable and taking over several GB of space, unless the user upgrades. Newest iOS 7 versions have an option to delete the auto download; but there is no way to turn it off, costing several GB of data transfer on your WiFi each time it happens.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Will A5 chip cause a lot mess?:confused:
Or will the 1GB RAM still work?:cool:

What do you guys think?:)

The iPad 3 was released in 2012. If the iPad 3 fails to work with iOS 8, I'll never buy an iPad again.

Just to put things in perspective. Windows 8.1 works on ancient old machines without a problem. It's ridiculous that the iPad 3 is already outdated so quickly with IOS 7.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Performance is hard to tell right now because the betas aren't going to represent final performance. There is discussion on this on the iOS8 forum here though, but again, performance probably won't truly reflect the final product at this point.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Yep this is true.. Unless the user takes weird steps to disconnect WiFi during charge, or fills up the iPad to prevent auto download; anyone on iOS 7 and below will find the new OS auto downloaded, undeletable and taking over several GB of space, unless the user upgrades. Newest iOS 7 versions have an option to delete the auto download; but there is no way to turn it off, costing several GB of data transfer on your WiFi each time it happens.

I always turn off wifi while charging. I don't know if Apple is forcing automatic updates yet ala Amazon? I'm actually surprised they haven't already.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
They dropped iOS 8 for iPhone 4 (512mb ram and single core A4).

Apple will drop iOS 9 support for iPad mini, iPad 3 and iPhone 4s.

No they won't. Apple would gradually dropping support. Starting iPad 2 and iPhone 4S...iOS 9 would support iPad 3 and iPad mini...Apple cannot just drop iPad 3 but not iPad 2. Keep in mind, iPad 3 introduced one year later than iPad 2. How can you even tell generally public you are dropping support newer device but not older devices?

Both iPad mini and iPod Touch 5 only received 2 updates so far, namely iOS 7 and iOS 8. Only iPad devices got dropped after 2 updates was iPad 1. I think with A5 and 512MB RAM, iPad mini would still qualifies for iOS 9.

Apple has never dropping more than 2 devices at time.

----------

The iPad 3 was released in 2012. If the iPad 3 fails to work with iOS 8, I'll never buy an iPad again.

Just to put things in perspective. Windows 8.1 works on ancient old machines without a problem. It's ridiculous that the iPad 3 is already outdated so quickly with IOS 7.

iPad 3 has same CPU with iPad 2 but with quad core GPU for the retina screen. A5X wasn't powerful at all. Apple mainly using iPad 3 as test bed for the Retina screen which explain why they put iPad 4 with exactly same design dropped half year later.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Will A5 chip cause a lot mess?:confused:
Or will the 1GB RAM still work?:cool:

What do you guys think?:)

Nope, sell that **** before the next iPad launch. The iPad 3 is sluggish already on ios7. Punt it whilst you can make a few quid and get a new one.

----------

It will work but will be as laggy as ios7. Unload that **** whilst you can get a good price.

Last iOS 5 user

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Vancouver, BC
iPad 2 can run iOS 8 so 3 can too.
But it will be laggy because it's pretty much an iPad 2 with 512MB more of RAM and 2 more graphics cores (not to mention the slight camera upgrade, retina screen, and siri, but they're nothing to do with the main specs).
iOS 8 is iPad 2's last, so it maybe 3's last too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.