Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
...after I took the job, I found out that the company will be opening a new office way deep in the south and guess what....my boss and I will be relocating to that office when it opens. THis will be some time after the new year. All of a sudden that 12km 15min commute turns into a 25km 50min commute. I was not happy, in fact im was pretty upset about it because the short commute was one of the biggest factors in why I was willing to accept a lower paying job. The convenience of working closer to home.

Did you negotiate this at all? Specifically, was it decided for you that YOU would be one of the people moving to the new office? Did you speak very plainly to them about how you took the job in part to have a shorter commute? Assuming that didn't work, did you negotiate a pay increase or travel allowance in exchange for the longer commute? It would be entirely reasonable for you to ask for that.

If say I was offered $5 more an hour I gaurentee it would kill all my motivational problems at work and I would hustle.

In my experience, I would just as eagerly guarantee that you wouldn't. I've seen this happen. Money doesn't make someone more eager to do their job, only a passion for the job can do that. Otherwise, you work just hard enough not to get fired.

Asking for an increase of $5 more an hour is substantial (about $10k a year, assuming full-time employment). Have you done something to justify this increase? If so, maybe it's time to meet with your employer and ask for a raise. Again, it's not unreasonable to do that, it's how the world of employment works. But it's a virtual certainty that you would have to show what you've done to merit such a huge wage increase.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Are you complaining about the same job as in this thread?

I agree with Tomorrow's advice. Figure out why you are worth more to your employers and then meet with them about it.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I have a passion for the job, but money is what drives me.

Money drives many of us; I don't doubt you feel the same way. But you say you have "passion" for the job, but I think you and I are talking about different things:

I dont have the same motivation for the job.

Im not ambitious anymore,

Im not wanting or willing to bust my a$$ on the job.

Im not willing to hustle to get things done.

I just work at a slower pace and have breaks in between, therefore my productivity isnt at the maximum level on what im capable of

Obviously for me, this is purely about money.

These are not statements that are consistent with what *I* would call "passion." Don't confuse passion with "qualifications" or "ability."

Its nice knowing they you are well compensated. For many jobs, you usually get what you pay for when it comes to employees. Right now no, because my motivation hasnt been there lately.

I agree that an employer gets what he pays for, but an employee gets what he/she is worth. I know what it's like to feel like you're worth more money than you're getting, but the key is to make your employer feel like you're worth more money. And right now, it doesn't sound like you're doing that, based on your posts.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
OP is entitled to a raise, dammit! Who are you right wing extremist homegrown terrorists to say otherwise?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.