Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you agree that the norm M-F work week is too long?

• Yes, i would like 4 weekdays, 3 day weekends

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Yes, I would like 3 weekdays like the OP

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Yes, I would like to not have to work period and go jack all everyday

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • No, 5 day work week is fine.

Votes: 33 43.4%

• Total voters

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
My ideal work week is like 20-25 hours a week max. Or even better is if we didnt have to work period. YES that is what I would really want! I want to win the lottery and retire early and not have to work another day in my life. I can spend the rest of my life relaxing, playing video games everyday and go shopping. Go to bed whenever I like and wake up whenever I like. Not have to deal with rush hour traffic ever.

Everyday when I get home Im burnt out and usually by end of Wed I just want to the weekend to hit. Today (seeing that Im typing this on a Wed) is a prime example...Im just burnt out.

I hate to say it, but everyday once the clock turns my time to go home, Im just itching to head home. Why? Because ive been there for 8.5 hours already. Ive been in my business attire for 9 plus hours and everyday at this time, I just want nothing more than to get home ASAP and get into my PJs where its so much more comfortable. I know it looks bad, but Im a clock watcher once the time creeps up to my end of day. Hey, if I could wear what I want to work everyday, I would wear a hoodie and trackpants or sweatpants. Athletic wear for the win. I only wear business attire because I have to.

After work and on the weekends, I am always in my comfy clothes. Its funny because I used to be the type who dressed up everywhere and was overdressed at all times of the day. But as I got older, you just realize that theres much more important things in life than dressing up all the time. Right now for me its all about wearing what feels the most comfortable and I much prefer to be in comfy attire than business attire 100 times out of 100 times.

If I ever have to head somewhere after work or that same night, I will always go home to shower, change into something much more comfortable than head back out to go where I have to go, or get what I have to get.

Every Friday Im always completely gassed, so gassed that Friday night I dont even have any energy to go out or stay up past 9pm. I dont know how to prevent this from happening. Its not from lack of sleep, dont get me wrong I get enough sleep (though of course who wouldnt want more). I go to bed at a set time every night (even on weekends), in bed by 9PM and asleep by 10PM at the latest.

But the fact weekends are only two days is complete garbage if you ask me. Ive always seen it that way and always will. THeyre so short and always go by like as if it was 4 hours, drives me nuts. Weekends dont feel like any time off at all. Its Fri night, you're all happy and relieved, there is not a better feeling than a Friday late afternoon and Friday night! I

Its so nice knowing you can finally have some free time in the next couple days to devote to your hobbies....but next thing you know its Sunday morning than Sunday night. Waking up Sundays stinks cause you know the weekend is pretty much over. I find during the work week, that you get home, shower, clean up, cook supper, make lunch, run get groceries and by the time thats all done...thats pretty much most of my night and day before I have to hit the sack. You have no time to devote to hobbies and interests so I always do that on weekends when I have time. I feel like im tied to a chain during the week ha....work, home, sleep, work, home sleep.

I have a really habit of mine, every Sunday I tend to gruel as each hour passes. Obviously Fridays are by far my favourite day of the week and Monday my least favourite, knowing its the start of a new and LOOOONG week. *sigh*

Lets face it, life is too short to be working full time jobs. The work week should consist of 3 weekdays with Fri, Sat, Sun, Monday as the weekend.

I know some have different schedules and do get 3 days off, but Im talking the norm here, the industry standard. I work 8.5 hour days and it is downright brutal. I much prefer 8, or even better none.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
This is a tragic and touching situation expressed in the post.

5 day week...8.5 hours a day.

And I'm guessing that, absent winning the Lottery, there are many years of suffering ahead.

Tragic...:(

:rolleyes:

Nov 28, 2010
located
It sounds like you have the wrong job.

Before we became a modern society, at least technology wise, we worked all week and all day, and we had less psychological problems than we have now.

When I work, as I work projects, I work 10 to 12 or more hours per day for five to six days per week. While I am exhausted in the evening, I enjoy my work most of the time, even if I am not paid on some occasions (known before taking the job), I feel good at the end of the day and during the day.

When I am off work, and I currently am, I have more sleep, an irregular pattern of night and day, I can do what I want most of the time, but something is missing. Yeah, that feeling good part, or being happy, even if it might sound trite to some.

In my previous line of work, I only did it for the money, I did not feel happy, and sometimes I worked 200 or 300 hours per month only for the ****** money.

Now that I have less money, due to changing careers, I only feel unhappy, if I do not work, and not because of the money, because it is boring and all my hobbies have been gone the other direction.

It is probably an extreme example, but that is my life at this point in time.

PS: If you want longer weekends, look at Australian mine cities, they offer good money for menial tasks, but the work week is only 4 days long, while the weekend is also 4 days long.

Smeehehe

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2014
Depends on the job...Job needs to get done...I need more time,sometimes, to get mine done right. I don't mind working extra to get it done, especially when I'm compensated for it fairly.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Ideally we'd all be working jobs we loved, and 6, 7-day work weeks would not be an issue.

I'm all for being lazy too, but if I'm going to cut away 20% of my salary because I work 4 day weeks instead of 5, then I'd need to cut my expenses accordingly. So, fewer toys to play with on my longer weekend...

Of course, the irony here is that we're discussing this on a forum for electronic devices manufactured in factories in China where people work much, much, harder than you or I do.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Ever go to school? :rolleyes: :D

8-3 every weekday, staying up many times until 3AM just to get homework done. Then there are essays, more homework, clubs and sports.

Getting 8 hours of sleep a night consistently sounds good enough for me right now :)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I guess I am one of the lucky ones you speak of in a way. I only work 3 days a week. But my days are Sat-Sun-Mon and are 12-16 hour days. Been doing it for close to 20 years. Got to tell you though, sure is nice to be off when everyone else is at work. I get a lot of people who say they wish they could have just 3 days but during the week.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
It sounds like you have the wrong job.

As hard as this may be to believe, its not the job. Ive worked far worse uninteresting jobs in my life (where I gruelled every morning just waking up to it) and the one I have now is one of the more interesting ones thats forsure. Ive worked some downright depressing jobs in my life and this isnt one of them. The only thing that I cant get off my mind is the pay. Its not terrible, but at the same time not great either. Its just acceptable in my books, just enough. Factor in other stuff like no health benefits or health spending account, weak 2 week vacation, only 3 paid sick days a year...and it makes the compensation look and feel a lot worse. But there are perks to it like how close it is to home, only 15-20 min commute each way (compared to when I was downtown, 50 mins just to get home everyday!).

I know I am being paid peanuts because my boss (who I report to) and everyone else in the office makes 3-4 times more and hes only 1 year older than me. I cant help but focus on the dollar, even though im trying not to because i know it will lead to problems. I keep trying to tell myself that the lower pay is justified by other areas - like the close to home location, fair commute time, pretty nice office, etc.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
I work at a CPA firm (but I'm not a tax guy so no, my work year is not about to end), and from 5/1 to 12/31 we get off at 12 on Fridays. We started it a year or so ago, and everyone loves it. We extended to nine hour days M-Th and then a four hour day on Friday. For the auditors, it was no change, because we were already working at least nine hours a day anyways with travel time, so we actually reduced our workload.

Johnboy7701

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
Just think how good you actually have it. This last deployment to Afghanistan I had 4 days off out of 9 months. First day off was 6 months into it, last 3 were the last week I was in country. 12 hour days everyday, day in day out, holidays, birthdays, my first child's birth I watched via Skype then returned to work right after I saw him pop out. This was my 5th deployment, 4 to Iraq, 1 to afghan.... 64 months total out of 14 years. Please tell me again how much you hate to work and only want to work 3 days a week......

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This is a tragic and touching situation expressed in the post.

5 day week...8.5 hours a day.

And I'm guessing that, absent winning the Lottery, there are many years of suffering ahead.

Tragic...:(

:rolleyes:

Agreed. We should start a fundraiser for the OP.:p

Just think how good you actually have it. This last deployment to Afghanistan I had 4 days off out of 9 months. First day off was 6 months into it, last 3 were the last week I was in country. 12 hour days everyday, day in day out, holidays, birthdays, my first child's birth I watched via Skype then returned to work right after I saw him pop out. This was my 5th deployment, 4 to Iraq, 1 to afghan.... 64 months total out of 14 years. Please tell me again how much you hate to work and only want to work 3 days a week......

Thank you for your service.

There are many worse situations than having a full time paying job Monday-Friday :rolleyes:

Agreed. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who would jump at the opportunity to have a full time job.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Ok so you hate your job. Work week is M-F. You need to do what I do. Do something extremely fun every day at lunch. It makes everything so much happier. What me and my friends have been doing the past 2 weeks is call every customer service number we can. It all started when the back of a dorito bag said in huge letters questions or comments call 1-800... And every one knows that's on every thing but no one calls so that's exactly what I did. I called I said these chips are so good and stuff like that and they were just like ok. It's just a lot of fun. But we are running out of this to call so we walk around the cafeteria go up to people and ask to get the phone numbers on what every they are eating. (People will look at you weird). But today we just searched Walmart on the maps app and called a ton of local walmarts. You should really try it makes the week a lot faster.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Well people I've tried work and I've tried play and know which one I like.

In 2002 I was offered early retirement at age 57 years on a full final salary pension. I thought what the hell both children were grown up, and out of the house. People said that I would be lost without deadlines and goals to chase, well they were all very wrong.
Life has become one huge fun place, I travel some times for months at a time like 3 months driving across the USA. You can spend time just soaking up the atmosphere of different cultures and learning about life in all it’s many faces. I can devote time to learning the Russian language, going to the ballet, and art galleries across Europe. It is one thing to see these beautiful works of art on TV or in a book, but to see them in real life is just so inspirational.
I bought a classic car which I only use on sunny days in the summer, or sail my boat on the many water ways here. You can do this mid-week the places are less crowded, and you can take you time. Life should be about enjoying the experience, marching to other people’s beat is not fun.
Just on a whim drive 85km to the coast because you felt like eating fresh fish, or sit all afternoon in the shade reading a great book, with a good glass wine/beer.
Taking my grandchildren on surprise trips, and spoiling them, it’s the main job of Opa’s.

Give this all up, to live only for time designated by other people, they don’t call it the RAT RACE for nothing.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Feel free to work less.

Those of us more industrious will be sure to wave at you on the way up.

I guess you're not one of those "put a dent in the universe" people Steve Jobs used to talk about.

Frankly, I could not stand to be you. And frankly, if you get what you wish for, I think you won't be able to stand you either. I've known some of the idle rich... their lives are not cool.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Ok so you hate your job. Work week is M-F. You need to do what I do. Do something extremely fun every day at lunch. It makes everything so much happier. What me and my friends have been doing the past 2 weeks is call every customer service number we can. It all started when the back of a dorito bag said in huge letters questions or comments call 1-800... And every one knows that's on every thing but no one calls so that's exactly what I did. I called I said these chips are so good and stuff like that and they were just like ok. It's just a lot of fun. But we are running out of this to call so we walk around the cafeteria go up to people and ask to get the phone numbers on what every they are eating. (People will look at you weird). But today we just searched Walmart on the maps app and called a ton of local walmarts. You should really try it makes the week a lot faster.

How old are you?

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
Here in Australia the official working week is 38hrs. Most businesses, however, work more, usually 40.

I work in the power industry as a shiftworker. My roster is based on a 38hr week, working 2 x 12hr days, 2 x 12hr nights (all shifts start at either 7am or 7pm) then 4 days off. Repeat...

For shiftwork this offers us a fairly good balance.

Then I discuss shiftwork with nurses and emergency services people that I know and I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to work under their conditions.

Then I hear about how workers in the US fare. You guys certainly earn your pay and then some.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I work Mon-Fri 9-5 with 39 days annual leave a year (though so many have to be used over the xmas period when the building is closed).

I'm happy working Mon-Fri, but I'd rather do 10-4. If I win a small amount on a football bet or lottery, I may see if my work would consider reducing my hours to 10-4.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Hey, if I could wear what I want to work everyday, I would wear a hoodie and trackpants or sweatpants. Athletic wear for the win. I only wear business attire because I have to.

What line of work are you in, and what do they expect you to wear?

Twenty years ago when I started as an engineer, we wore long sleeves and ties every day - even Fridays. Now, I'm in jeans and a polo shirt or t-shirt five days a week unless there are very unusual circumstances for that day.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I have no problem with working 5 days in a row but would prefer 3 days of spare time along that. Saturday is a rather busy day (shopping, cleaning, organizing private stuff) hence leaves little time to rest so it's only Sunday where I can truly relax....that's not enough! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.