Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
So now that iStat is a paid app (don't get me wrong I like the app but thats not what this thread is about) I went looking for an alternative app with the same functionality, but free :D

I came across MenuMeters and it is VERY similar, lightweight, and best of all its free.

Just thought I would pass this on.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I found them as well.

Good product, and the right price ;)

This is why I complained about istat menus going the paid shareware route. I don't have a problem with people trying to make a living, but those particular apps are more eye candy, gee whiz type of apps.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
I thought that MM did not work with Snow Leopard... My Leopard set stopped working at any rate so I paid for the iStat Menus... it is certainly worth every penny and more of the $10. :eek:

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
I thought that MM did not work with Snow Leopard... My Leopard set stopped working at any rate so I paid for the iStat Menus... it is certainly worth every penny and more of the $10. :eek:

MM has been updated, it works with SL and is also 64bit :)

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Thanks for sharing this. I was going to pay for iStat forced updated to 3.0, then went looking for a discount coupon, and nothing showed up. Also other users review in Macworld made me stop from paying. One user mentioned its MacBook fans were behaving strangely with iStat, and other mentioned that bjango is not a serious company, not sure about it but anyway, I'll give Menu meters a try.

Blu101

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2010
Anyone know which one uses the least amount of system resources to do its job?

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Fyi, menumeters works fine in Lion, and shows all threads of each processor core. No temps tho.. but iStat lost a customer trying to get $25 for an app that basically mirrors the system monitor in your menubar. I'd have paid 10.. dummies.:cool:

jwilcox09

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
Boston
Fyi, menumeters works fine in Lion, and shows all threads of each processor core. No temps tho.. but iStat lost a customer trying to get $25 for an app that basically mirrors the system monitor in your menubar. I'd have paid 10.. dummies.:cool:

+1 to that. iStat is way overpriced for an app that doesn't actually do anything other than read stats and display them. Checking menumeters out now though, good to know it works on Lion too.

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
I using MenuMeters, little poorer but it's simple and free.
http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

You can adjust colors of the icons / text - yes, iStat looks better ;)

MenuMetersMenubar.png

The iStat Menus - totally overpriced ($16), it's should cost no more than $4.99 on AppStore.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks a lot. Just what I need.

I like iStat Menus but in Canada they want $20 after taxes... not worth it for such a simple app.

$10 at most is what I would pay, ideally for such a simple app $5 would be nice.

ZubaZ

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Anything for El Capitan? :)
I see MenuMeters gave up.
Currently I am using atMonitor, is working, trying to get used to it.

leslieb99

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
MenuMeters has been fixed for Sierra - Here's the link : http://member.ipmu.jp/yuji.tachikawa/MenuMetersElCapitan/

"
It's a port to OS X El Capitan 10.11 and later of our beloved utility MenuMeters by Alex Harper, at http://ragingmenace.com. As he has not yet released the port to OS X 10.11 El Capitan, I made a minimal modification to the source code he has kindly made public so that it runs fine.

Confirmed to run OK on El Capitan 10.11 and Sierra 10.12."

d3v4n5h

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
MenuMeters has been fixed for Sierra - Here's the link : http://member.ipmu.jp/yuji.tachikawa/MenuMetersElCapitan/

"
It's a port to OS X El Capitan 10.11 and later of our beloved utility MenuMeters by Alex Harper, at http://ragingmenace.com. As he has not yet released the port to OS X 10.11 El Capitan, I made a minimal modification to the source code he has kindly made public so that it runs fine.

Confirmed to run OK on El Capitan 10.11 and Sierra 10.12."

Thanks for sharing that. However, it doesn't run on High Sierra 10.13, I tried.

d3v4n5h

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
Is there a way I can see a graph of the battery temperature? I could do that from iStats Menu. Now I have to resort to XRG which doesn't really have 'Battery Temperature' :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 3.44.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 3.44.25 PM.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 228
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.