Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's (Product) RED contributions towards the fight against AIDS now total $75 million, according to a blog post on the (RED) website. The post, which thanks Apple for its generous contributions, notes that the company is (Product) RED's biggest partner.

(RED) also addresses commentary from U2 frontman Bono, who leads the charity. At the Cannes Lions festival earlier this week, Bono and Apple design chief Jony Ive gave an interview where Bono commented on Apple's reluctance to use heavy (RED) branding, calling it "modesty run amok."

producted.jpg
According to the (RED) blog post, Bono was simply teasing Ive and Apple about its reluctance to "take credit for its charitable work," going on to say that his humor was taken out of context and confirming that both Bono and (RED) are "so grateful" to Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, Jony Ive, and the rest of Apple's employees
In a reminder that humor doesn't always travel out of context, some of Bono's teasing and faux outrage at Apple's modesty were reported as actual criticism of the company. Nothing could be further from the truth of course. Bono has been one of Apple's biggest supporters, pushing back publicly on those who have made negative assumptions about the company's charitable work, simply because they don't shout it from the rooftops. That modesty is their right, and in many ways admirable.
According to The Loop's Shawn King, Apple may be planning to increase support for (RED) in the coming months. Following Bono's interview, King posted the following: "Great to see Bono calling Apple out on their "understated" approach to this issue. But you'll see that change within six months," clarifying in the comments that Apple will boost exposure for (RED).

It is unclear how Apple will boost exposure, but in the past, the company has released several different (RED) branded products, including iPod nanos and shuffles, iPad Smart Covers, iPhone Bumpers, and more, with a portion of the purchase price going directly to the charity. It has also decorated its Apple retail locations with red logos for World AIDS day and last year, Ive teamed up with designer Marc Newson to create a range of one-of-a-kind products that were auctioned off by Sotheby's, with the proceeds going to (RED).

In total, with all of its partners, which includes Apple, Starbucks, Coca-Cola, and others, (Product) RED has raised more than $250 million to fight AIDS since it was founded in 2006.

Article Link: (Product) RED Thanks Apple for Contributions Totaling $75 Million, Explains Recent Comments From Bono

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
Those things Bono said were very uncalled for... considering Apple is Red's biggest supporter. Glad this was sorted out.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I would quote a U2 lyric about back-peddling, but I don't think they ever sang about that. :)

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
"Explains". More like damage control. Here's the simple truth: Bono is proud, ungrateful and arrogant. If I were him I'd be at the least obliged if Apple made me even 75 cents.

Last edited:

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
When it's time to recycle images in articles, here's a newer image with iPad Air and iPhone 5s:

hero.jpg

JOLoughlin

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2008
Lighten up people, Bono was just kidding.

They responded because some news outlets took his comments too seriously and they love controversy and friction.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Still why go on about a how bad Apple are on a interview with someone who doesn't realy so interviews - it damaged apple reputation as people now see apple for not doing enough and that they whine too much, this could also damage (RED) sales and reduce companies that want to be involved!

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Just like I said in the other thread. Now that the mouse wants another cookie and then some milk, all of a sudden it behaves. Way to go Bone-head-o.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I still want to see what RED produces for all the money donated. There have been questions in the past that they are ineffective.

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
They could have just commented:

"We're sorry, but Bono's a cock".

I was there in Wembley when he said along the lines of "Your country has a lot of things going for you, but you've a long way to improve". My friend apparently witnessed him stating in Liverpool: "Of course the Beatles would have been Irish, not English, were it not for the Potato famine."

Perhaps Bono should exercise modesty and keep his effin' mouth shut.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Of course his comments were blown way out of proportion. I mean my god, when you have Jony Ive on stage laughing at Bono's remarks I think it's a pretty good indication he was not being serious. I thought the anecdote about telling Steve to stick his phone up his you know what was funny, and so did the audience. Shame that the rumor sites had to create this faux outrage all in the name of page views. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.