Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGuy18

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I am thinking of purchasing the 21.5 inch iMac with the 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, with 8GB of ram, a 1TB hard drive, and Intel Iris Pro Graphics. The price $1249.00 with the education discount

I will be using the iMac for school reports, video browsing, lite gaming, and some coding/app development.

I would like to know if this is an okay computer for my needs. I appreciate any and all replies, much thanks in advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given your stated needs, the configuration you mentioned is more then enough. It will be fine

TechGuy18

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Given your stated needs, the configuration you mentioned is more then enough. It will be fine

Thanks for you reply, I've never really had the need for a computer until now so I need all the help I can get. I'm coming from and old Compaq Laptop so I'm really in need of an upgrade.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I am thinking of purchasing the 21.5 inch iMac with the 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, with 8GB of ram, a 1TB hard drive, and Intel Iris Pro Graphics. The price $1249.00 with the education discount

I will be using the iMac for school reports, video browsing, lite gaming, and some coding/app development.

I would like to know if this is an okay computer for my needs. I appreciate any and all replies, much thanks in advance.

It's absolutely fine, but I'd suggest a 1TB Fusion Drive if you really want your Mac to fly.

The 5400rpm HDD is the limiting factor.

TechGuy18

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
It's absolutely fine, but I'd suggest a 1TB Fusion Drive if you really want your Mac to fly.

The 5400rpm HDD is the limiting factor.

I looked into the fusion drive and although it seems really great it's not in my budget right now and I need the iMac ASAP, hopefully I will see really fast speeds since I am coming from such an old machine.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Because the RAM in the 21.5 inch iMac is no longer user upgradable, I'd suggest getting the 16 GB RAM option or, better, getting the 27 inch model and doing the upgrade yourself with third party chips.

Because of inevitable software bloat, you will need more memory sooner or later and the 27 inch can be bumped all the way to 32 GB. While 32 GB sounds like a lot, remember that just a few years ago 4 GB sounded like a lot, too.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I looked into the fusion drive and although it seems really great it's not in my budget right now and I need the iMac ASAP, hopefully I will see really fast speeds since I am coming from such an old machine.

I have the 2.9Ghz iMac with the 750m GPU. The HDD is not slow (SSD's are faster, but I'm impressed with how fast it is). Boot up is 30 seconds, and once you open an app in OSX, it gets cached in RAM so the next time it is opened, it opens instantly. It is a different story if you have used an SSD computer for a few years and move to a HDD, but if you haven't, OSX does a great job in making it zoom.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
You will be fine with 8GB and a spinning drive unless you do video editing or something like it.
As for SSD you can always at a later time (when prices come down) connect an external SSD via Thunderbolt and boot from it. Its 90% as fast as internal SSD and much cheaper + you will be able to buy a larger SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.