Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What features are driving your interest in buying the new iPhone 6?

• Better camera

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Improved operating system

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New "Smart Home" Features

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • New health related features

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Integration with iWatch

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Larger screen

Votes: 39 90.7%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
mDAUwjD.png

Ooooh, I was sent this survey...

[MOD NOTE]
I updated the thread to include a poll.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My next phone will have:

A larger screen
More RAM
No dicky water resistance flaps

If the iPhone 6 satisfies those requirements then all well and good.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I have a 5 so more a lot of the 5S uprades highly appeal to me, namely Touch ID and the M7. By far the biggest 6 feature I want is a larger screen which was why I passed on the 5S to start with.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
What the heck is a dicky water resistance flap? :confused:

These fragile, crappy things:

You know the flaps that cover MicroSD slots? The things you dare not open even once, for fear of snapping them off? Well welcome to water resistance flaps. They are the same fragile things held onto the phone by a thin piece of plastic, and now you have to prise one open with your fingernail every single time you charge your phone.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

You know the flaps that cover MicroSD slots? The things you dare not open even once, for fear of snapping them off? Well welcome to water resistance flaps. They are the same fragile things held onto the phone by a thin piece of plastic, and now you have to remove one every single time you charge your phone.

Yeah, they're truly terrible.

Luuthian

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
Really all I want is the bigger screen.

I'm considering an Android phone as well, but all the Android phones this year seem to have a gaping hole somewhere. The S5 is... the S5. It's great hardware marred by Touch Wiz and a bunch of bloatware. The HTC M8 is uniformly great until you take a photo and find out the camera is complete junk. Google's Nexus 5 is a great little device with the best version of Android, but the battery life is atrocious. And then you've got Sony's bulky monstrosity that's only available on specific carriers.

I don't know what it is but these stupid companies just can't make a single great Android phone with everything you'd want. Apple still leads the way in giving the consumer "everything" IMO.

When I can find an Android phone that's built as well as an iPhone and has a stock variant of the OS available, I may make the switch one day. But for now... I'll buy the iPhone 6 just because it's got the most of the best in one place.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You know the flaps that cover MicroSD slots? The things you dare not open even once, for fear of snapping them off? Well welcome to water resistance flaps. They are the same fragile things held onto the phone by a thin piece of plastic, and now you have to prise one open with your fingernail every single time you charge your phone.
Qi Wireless Charging.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I don't care. I'm buying it regardless. A lot of people will have the same opinion as mine. IT'S THE IPHONE 6!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You know the flaps that cover MicroSD slots? The things you dare not open even once, for fear of snapping them off? Well welcome to water resistance flaps.

Oh God, those things. :( I hope iPhone models NEVER get those. I'm pretty sure though that the design team at Apple shares the same contempt for them. There hasn't been a flap of that type on an Apple product for as long as I can remember.

Dreday24

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012

I'm considering an Android phone as well, but all the Android phones this year seem to have a gaping hole somewhere. The S5 is... the S5. It's great hardware marred by Touch Wiz and a bunch of bloatware. The HTC M8 is uniformly great until you take a photo and find out the camera is complete junk. Google's Nexus 5 is a great little device with the best version of Android, but the battery life is atrocious. And then you've got Sony's bulky monstrosity that's only available on specific carriers.

I don't know what it is but these stupid companies just can't make a single great Android phone with everything you'd want. Apple still leads the way in giving the consumer "everything" IMO.

When I can find an Android phone that's built as well as an iPhone and has a stock variant of the OS available, I may make the switch one day. But for now... I'll buy the iPhone 6 just because it's got the most of the best in one place.

basically this year ago i wouldn't have considered getting an iPhone, but the android flagships this year leave a lot to be desired.

I was considering the lg g3, but the complaints about it overheating are really worrisome seems like they should have just used a 1080p screen for the 801 and then saved the 1440p for 805.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Qi Wireless Charging.

It takes FAR longer to charge, you can't use your device whilst it's charging, and more expense is needed to purchase the charging unit. Plus as has already been mentioned, it's impractical for car use.

----------

I don't understand peoples' beefs with Touchwiz, especially as it has been significantly toned down on the S5.
The HTC One camera is better than any other for extreme macro shots and 'selfies'. Sure it falls down when taking regular snaps but they are still perfectly acceptable for most people. The fantastic speakers more than compensate for any loss of detail in certain shots IMO. I'll admit that if HTC had planted a standard 8MP camera unit in the One M8, they would have cleaned up but it's still good enough for most people though.
With the S5 you get a fantastic camera, removable battery, perfect screen and bags of RAM. With the HTC One M8 you get build quality, awesome speakers and a perfect screen. Nothing ticks all boxes, but then nor does any iPhone.

Luuthian

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
basically this year ago i wouldn't have considered getting an iPhone, but the android flagships this year leave a lot to be desired.

I was considering the lg g3, but the complaints about it overheating are really worrisome seems like they should have just used a 1080p screen for the 801 and then saved the 1440p for 805.

Ugh, yeah exactly. The worst part is we don't even NEED a 1440p screen. It virtually makes no difference, and looking at the G3 it's not even close to operable with one hand. If they can manage that resolution with comparable battery life to the 801 phones then maybe it would be worth it. It doesn't seem like it is at this point in time though.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

[url=http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/sunking101/39B51583-7112-48DA-B227-6860E5F38FDE.jpg]Image[/URL]

[url=http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/sunking101/C9F0C275-2D32-4CDD-885F-6E4D2B3DD5FE.jpg]Image[/URL]

Hmm, aside from being annoying I never had a problem with them on a phone (or with cameras that generally always have them).

All the iPhone cases I've ever used had a flap anyway. Maybe I'm just used to them.

My question is why couldn't you just remove them and forfeit the water resistance? Seems selfish to not want anyone to have them and you just not want to remove them.

----------

It takes FAR longer to charge, you can't use your device whilst it's charging, and more expense is needed to purchase the charging unit. Plus as has already been mentioned, it's impractical for car use.

Like water proofing. You could always opted to use the regular charger and not a charging pad.

I feel like I'm calling you out but I assure you I'm not trying too. Just seems like moot points when you can continue phone use just like you always have and allow people that want these upgrades to have them.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
For me to be it will need at least:

- 5.5 inch screen with at least 2k or 5 inch with 1080p.
- Much less bezels than rumours points to.

As it will not happen I just moved to Android (stock) and my 5s collects dust.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
A bigger screen, Touch ID and better camera with slow mo recording.

All three are almost a given, so the iPhone 6 looks like my next phone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I am due to upgrade so will be getting the iPhone 6 as its a natural progression for me. The larger screen is a compromise as I don't need a larger screen than I have now, but wish to have all the benefits of the latest device through iOS.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say a larger phone is what is driving my next purchase. I'm not all that jazzed up over what I see with iOS 8, nor do I care about the other integration stuff mentioned. A better camera is a plus as well.

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
1. Bigger screen
2. Touch ID
3. ios8 on new processor?
4. Better graphics
5. Better battery life?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.