Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klaasde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
Hi

About a month ago I spilled a few drops of water on the left side of my MBP medio 2010. Except for the internal keyboard, my mac is working perfectly fine … Concerning the keyboard: the ^-key and the `-key seem to be permanently activated (they are "orange" on the virtual keyboard). If I press random keys on the internal keyboard, sometimes "g" is permanently activated (until I reboot). If I do not touch the internal keyboard, I can without a problem use an external usb keyboard (no interference from ^ or ` or g). My questions:

- What kind of damage does this suggest (what hardware part)? I find internet sources talking about replacing the keyboard, others about the logic board, others about the upper case … What does most probably need to be replaced in my case? I can probably replace it myself, but I have to know what part is damaged …

- Or even better: could there be a way of using software to solve this? Those were literally just three drops of pure water, so at this moment (one month post factum) I suppose there's no more active shortcircuiting. Is there a way to reset the keyboard controller?

Thanks in advance!

klaasde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
Hi

Thanks! I just found that apparently some MBP models have the keyboard integrated into the upper case (with 50 minuscule screws), so that if the keyboard doesn't function anymore, Apple recommends to replace the entire upper case at once (where with other models replacing only the keyboard is easier). Some people manage to replace the keyboard itself (and not the entire uppercase) in models like my MBP medio 2010, but apparently its difficult and time-consuming … (see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BE&v=JvqQF02G5Ns).

I'll just buy a portable external keyboard …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.