Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBostonian

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Is there any way to get VLC to work on Mountain Lion being run on a VM in Mavericks? It works for Windows and Linux but I have no luck in getting it to work on OS X for some bizarre reason.

After having explored the issue it seems the drivers for the VM are not very efficient resulting in poor graphical optimisation.

Does VLC work for any virtualised version of OS X? I have SL Server and Mavericks too which I could turn into VMs.

Thanks for any insight

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
Is there any way to get VLC to work on Mountain Lion being run on a VM in Mavericks? It works for Windows and Linux but I have no luck in getting it to work on OS X for some bizarre reason.

After having explored the issue it seems the drivers for the VM are not very efficient resulting in poor graphical optimisation.

Does VLC work for any virtualised version of OS X? I have SL Server and Mavericks too which I could turn into VMs.

Thanks for any insight

Why not rewind a little, explain why it doesn't work for you on OS X? Do you get an error message?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Performance, particularly graphical performance is the biggest knock on using VMs. Parallels, does a better job, but you're still running through a virtual environment and that does affect performance. That's why most gamers use bootcamp over VMs

theBostonian

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Why not rewind a little, explain why it doesn't work for you on OS X? Do you get an error message?

Sorry.

I get no error messages and Quicktime with the Perian extension plays some video files but not all.

VLC simply refuses to play any video; it will, however, play audio.

Performance, particularly graphical performance is the biggest knock on using VMs. Parallels, does a better job, but you're still running through a virtual environment and that does affect performance. That's why most gamers use bootcamp over VMs

Yes, I would never game via virtualisation software. However, I should point out that on Linux (at least on Mint, Arch and Ubuntu) and Windows 7 and XP VLC behaves normally, ie by playing everything I throw at it.

I wouldn't have thought playing video would be on a par with gaming.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
VLC simply refuses to play any video; it will, however, play audio.

What does "refuses" mean? Is there an error or just no video when playing a video file?
If it's the latter, open VLC preferences and make sure that "enable Video" is checked in the Video section of preferences. It may be worthwhile to just click "reset all" to put all of VLC back to default.
Do you have the current version of VLC? 2.1.4 is current as of this writing.

theBostonian

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
What does "refuses" mean? Is there an error or just no video when playing a video file?
If it's the latter, open VLC preferences and make sure that "enable Video" is checked in the Video section of preferences. It may be worthwhile to just click "reset all" to put all of VLC back to default.
Do you have the current version of VLC? 2.1.4 is current as of this writing.

There is no error message, although today I tried VLC 2.0.x to see if that might help and an error message came up saying OpenGL acceleration isn't enabled on my Mac and that it lacks Quartz Extreme.

All that I see when I attempt to play a video is the playlist window. I can see the track proceeding and I can hear audio but I can't see anything.

Video is enabled and I am running the latest version. I just created this VM a week ago so I am running the latest version of everything bar OS X (which as I said I'm using 10.8.5).

I get the feeling it won't be possible to run VLC on a virtualised OS X.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
an error message came up saying OpenGL acceleration isn't enabled on my Mac and that it lacks Quartz Extreme.
That sounds like a bigger problem. What computer do you have, and what graphics card is in it?
If that's in VMWare Fusion, the graphics drivers aren't accelerated, which explains that problem.

theBostonian

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
That sounds like a bigger problem. What computer do you have, and what graphics card is in it?
If that's in VMWare Fusion, the graphics drivers aren't accelerated, which explains that problem.

I'm using a mid-2012 cMBP.

Yes, I'm using the latest updated VMWare Fusion. From googling the problem it appears that many people have problems running VLC on a VM'd OS X.

Do you use OS X in Fusion and if you are, are you able to run VLC?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Do you use OS X in Fusion and if you are, are you able to run VLC?

I don't. VLC has, in my experience, been bulletproof in OS X. That's what you should be trying to solve, not trying to get it to run in a virtual machine.

theBostonian

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I don't. VLC has, in my experience, been bulletproof in OS X. That's what you should be trying to solve, not trying to get it to run in a virtual machine.

I'm sorry, perhaps I haven't been clear but VLC runs perfectly on my Mavericks un-virtualised machine.

I'm having a problem with getting it to run on VMWare Fusion, OS X 10.8.5.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm sorry, perhaps I haven't been clear but VLC runs perfectly on my Mavericks un-virtualised machine.

I'm having a problem with getting it to run on VMWare Fusion, OS X 10.8.5.
Oh, no, that wasn't clear at all. I don't expect it will ever work due to the lack of video acceleration.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just out of curiosity, i've seen heaps of videos, articles on how to share to fusion, that i already know...

But how to you share from fusion to mac ?

I set up the file or folder on VM to share and with "File and sharing enabled" on Windows, just like i would any PC... it work from PC, but not from fusion..

Anyone know why ? As far as i can tell the "Share" Preference pane and Mirrored options are only TO a VM, not FROM

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Once you set up a share in VM, drag and drop a folder in windows to that shared folder and it appears on the mac. I've used this quite often.

Another easy way to do this is use OneDrive, Google Drive or Dropbox. The latter was my go to choice for cloud storage but its competitors have since provided superior storage for less money.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ah,, so the same way..

Coming from Parallels background, where you would just tick a box and those drives or folders would appear on mac to be shared.

I guess Fusion is simpler, since u do it all from guest. I gotta get used to drag and drop to shared folder in vm and as long as it has read/write then its ok.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Just out of curiosity, i've seen heaps of videos, articles on how to share to fusion, that i already know...

But how to you share from fusion to mac ?

You can simply drag and drop files back and forth once VMWare tools are installed in the guest OS.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can simply drag and drop files back and forth once VMWare tools are installed in the guest OS.

I've done that as well, but for me, I prefer using the share so everything is logically stored.

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
You can also *mirror* your Documents folder (and other "home" subfolders like Desktop or Music) between VMWare Fusion and Mac. Essentially, you're working and saving in the same folder from both Mac and Windows. But, I don't really trust Windows and its apps with my Mac home folder, so I keep it off. It's a cool feature though.

theBostonian

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Oh, no, that wasn't clear at all. I don't expect it will ever work due to the lack of video acceleration.

Did you even read my OP?

Is there any way to get VLC to work on Mountain Lion being run on a VM in Mavericks?

I was perfectly clear but either you lack comprehension or English isn't your first language!

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Did you even read my OP?
I was perfectly clear but either you lack comprehension or English isn't your first language!
So do you because this is clearly stated in Fusion's help function and you can find it on their website (they have a special page for it). Open up "help" and take a look at the section discussing how to set up an OS X (Server) vm. It will tell you what it won't support and list "3D accelerated graphics" which is what multimedia apps like VLC need. It's also the reason why any animation sucks.

Also, don't first start a reply with "I'm sorry, perhaps I haven't been clear" and then post a new one with "I was perfectly clear ". It is contradictory: you are either clear or you aren't, you can't be one and the next minute the other.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It most likely uses the same stuff that things like Core Video and Core Image use (basically everything in Core Graphics). Those APIs heavily use the 3d acceleration features of a videocard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.