Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
So does this mean all my photos currently in photo stream will be gone? Essentially starting all over again in iOS 8 right? Or am I missing something?

Not PhotoStream, iCloud Photos... they are two very different things...

Photostream is your last 1000 photos and doesn't count against your iCloud storage allowance and is also not accessible beyond allowing you to sync photos across devices.

iCloud Photos is the new Yosemite / iOS 8 "upload all your photos to iCloud to backup/share them" functionality and does count against your storage allowance along with the new iCloud Drive general storage functionality.

It is the new iCloud Photos / Drive that are being wiped which are both beta features.

Negaiido

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Have to say I think the public beta is a bad idea for Apple. Already you see people using Yosemite and iOS8 complaining that it has quirks - completely failing to realise that it's a Beta!! All this will mean is that there is a bigger wave of misguided opinion and upset users who are using it as their daily driver. In the age of the internet those voices tend to be the loudest unfortunately.

If every complaint is getting reported then I don't see any problem in this?

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has notified developers of plans for a server-side data wipe on CloudKit public and private databases for both the beta versions iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. The wipe, which will take place on Monday, July 7, will erase data for iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, and Mail Drop.

The wipe comes just a day ahead of the rumored launch date of iOS 8 beta 3 and also the likely launch date of the third Yosemite Developer Preview. Apple commonly seeds early versions of its iOS beta operating systems on roughly two-week intervals, moving on to three-week intervals later in the testing period. OS X beta updates have followed a similar update pattern in the past as well.

Apple's second iOS 8 and Yosemite betas came approximately two weeks after the software was first provided to developers at the Worldwide Developers Conference, and it has now been three weeks since those updates were seeded.

Both iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite are expected to be released to the public in the fall, after an extended beta testing period.

Thanks, Daniel!

Article Link: Apple Planning to Wipe CloudKit Data for iOS 8 and Yosemite on July 7 Ahead of Beta Updates

well i would say that about guarantees 7/8/2014 thank goodness. So I'm a--proud---new dev. will we notice anything-- besides possible mail attachments-- disappearing with this server-side wipe? Feel free to call me w/e names you'd like I'm simply just going to ask again. :eek::cool:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wipe away! Hope nobody needs their saved data who is out of town or out of office on vacation for the 4th of July Holiday.

If anyone is using mission critical data with these betas and doesn't have it also backed up somewhere else, well they deserve whatever they get

And if you didn't get this warning cause you aren't a developer well that's the price is unauthorized use of the betas

----------

Have to say I think the public beta is a bad idea for Apple. Already you see people using Yosemite and iOS8 complaining that it has quirks - completely failing to realise that it's a Beta!! All this will mean is that there is a bigger wave of misguided opinion and upset users who are using it as their daily driver. In the age of the internet those voices tend to be the loudest unfortunately.

They are limiting it to 1 mil folks world wide and frankly most folks won't care about it. Plus I suspect they are waiting until most of the bugs are out of the system.

I was able to get access thanks to the BF also being a developer and I haven't really had any issues with Yosemite. Although I can install iOS 8 I haven't yet cause history has told me not to do anything until at least the third beta as I only have the one set of devices and I can't risk them going nuts at this point

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I have iCloud Photo Library turned on but all my photos and videos will stay on my device and just re upload to iCloud again...correct?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
i doubt they report those issues but instead just go to macrumors and whine.
That's probably true.

I reported three issues and engineering got back to me on all of them, but I've since downgraded to 7.1.2 on all of my devices so I can't follow up with them until iOS8b3 hits :(

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Wipe away! Hope nobody needs their saved data who is out of town or out of office on vacation for the 4th of July Holiday.

I hope nobody uses beta software meant only for testing to save data that isn't saved elsewhere.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
Im gonna have to agree even being a newb but anyone who has their info solely stored on the iOS 8 beta 2 Cloud Drive is straight retarded. LOL. I mean really---even when we all have the non-beta and Cloud Drive will never be wiped again...i will always have a hardcopy.....somewhere...i mean somewhere....come on ppl :apple::apple::apple::apple:

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
I think they're getting ready for the public Yosemite beta.

I don't - Yosemite's not bad even at Beta 2, but it's not ready for public beta yet. I'd say another 2 betas, perhaps early-mid August for public.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
I have iCloud Photo Library turned on but all my photos and videos will stay on my device and just re upload to iCloud again...correct?

If you have to ask and don't understand the email you were sent by Apple, you probably shouldn't be using it.

macbookguy

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2006
Know what the worst thing was? Mac OS X 10.0 Public Beta. It was literally available to *anyone* who had $30 in their pocket and a hankering for the future.

:(

Ahhhh those were the days. My Rev C iMac G3 and I were ready and willing participants after an upgrade to 128MB RAM. I still have the CD, folder, and User's Manual somewhere. It's been so exciting to see OS X grow up over the years. I never used 10.0 GM or 10.1 GM, but got on board with Jaguar.

:)

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA

Yeah they will BUT I'm a little concerned with this approach. Since I'm currently using iCloud Photo Library, my iPhone no longer has a full-resolution version of all photos. That's one of the advantages of using iCPL -- it saves a tremendous amount of local device storage by only saving a thumbnail and low-res version of the image for everything except recent photos (less than a couple days old).

So, if they wipe out the iCloud version and expect my device to transfer the full-size images up again, we're going to have a problem.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Yeah they will BUT I'm a little concerned with this approach. Since I'm currently using iCloud Photo Library, my iPhone no longer has a full-resolution version of all photos. That's one of the advantages of using iCPL -- it saves a tremendous amount of local device storage by only saving a thumbnail and low-res version of the image for everything except recent photos (less than a couple days old).

So, if they wipe out the iCloud version and expect my device to transfer the full-size images up again, we're going to have a problem.

All of the data should be test data, including pictures. If you chose to use the BETA as your daily driver that is your problem not Apples.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't - Yosemite's not bad even at Beta 2, but it's not ready for public beta yet. I'd say another 2 betas, perhaps early-mid August for public.

But you don't know how good beta 3 or future versions will be, and it is a beta, it's not expected to always work properly.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
That should reduce over time as people get used to being part of a beta. The open beta is a good thing, but there will always be some who do not understand something new.

i can already see people bitching about iCloud issues. the iCloud on Yosemite Beta and iOS8 beta are seperated from the iOS7 etc iCloud right? so people who want to try out Yosemite but have no way of getting iOS8 as a public beta will be stuck with two devices on different iClouds that dont synch with one another. sounds like a bad idea and thats why i mostly stayed away so far

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyone else smelling the public Appleseed beta?
Seems to make sense, that they'd do that just before the public beta. With only two betas under their belt though I wonder if its a bit premature but you never know.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

If anyone needs their saved data, then it's their own fault for not reading the developer terms, which clearly state all over the place that you cannot rely on Apple's pre-release software for any production work. Right now it's for developers only.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You guys really need to stop crying over this. If your so worried about your photos, have I got the solution for you. BACK THEM UP ON YOUR COMPUTER! People using Macs can use iPhoto and people on windows can just pull them off the phone. Windows even has the iCloud photo library if you get the software for it. It's not the end of the world. Takes 5 minutes, tops. As for documents, your SOL because it's your own fault for trusting a Beta. There is a reason its called a Beta and not released to the public.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Obviously it's not happening this time around, but do you think the Yosemite public beta suggests the public might get iOS betas in the future?

Most people don't have more than one iPhone so at best they might make it available on a much later beta. Like 6 or 7 when most bugs have worked out or the one prior to a GM release.

With Macs, most run in a VM, or have a spare to test it on. Phones are deemed more critical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.