Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I wonder what will happen to the employment situation in China when Chinese factories start using robots instead of workers.

Pre-robots era: "OMG Apple is so inhuman with their workers in China"
Post-robots era: "OMG Apple is so inhuman by firing people and replacing them with robots"

Trust me.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Obviously, as labor costs have been increasing in China, factories in China need to make some changes, or those factories will all move to other countries (much like how American manufacturing moved overseas when our own labor costs increased). The choice was always between these Chinese workers having low wage jobs, and having no jobs, not between low wage jobs and high wage jobs.

This was inevitable. Robots will take over all low-skill jobs in every industry, eventually. The factories will no longer be in places with the cheapest labor, they'll be in places with the cheapest energy costs to run those robots, and where the base materials used to build these devices can be shipped to the cheapest.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
it seems like there's some data missing here...

30,000 devices... in ... what? hours? days? weeks? months? does it drop dead after the 30,000th device, like some kind of strange death mechanism, before it realizes its leading a hollow, meaningless existence and offs itself by by plugging itself into a counterfeit chinese wall charger and exploding? Or is it like a Replicant out of Blade Runner, implanted with the memories of a dead assembly line worker in order for it to not question its purpose in life, and after 30,000 devices assembled, it has to be programmed to self-destruct before it realizes its place and rises up against its human oppressors?

do tell more...

Watch Wall-E a bit too much?

Jiz

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
Samsung just announced they will be purchasing 10,001 robots.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009

30,000 devices... in ... what? hours? days? weeks? months? does it drop dead after the 30,000th device, like some kind of strange death mechanism, before it realizes its leading a hollow, meaningless existence and offs itself by by plugging itself into a counterfeit chinese wall charger and exploding? Or is it like a Replicant out of Blade Runner, implanted with the memories of a dead assembly line worker in order for it to not question its purpose in life, and after 30,000 devices assembled, it has to be programmed to self-destruct before it realizes its place and rises up against its human oppressors?

do tell more...

Yes, they call it the Zapp Brannigan routine.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Obviously, as labor costs have been increasing in China, factories in China need to make some changes, or those factories will all move to other countries (much like how American manufacturing moved overseas when our own labor costs increased). The choice was always between these Chinese workers having low wage jobs, and having no jobs, not between low wage jobs and high wage jobs.

This was inevitable. Robots will take over all low-skill jobs in every industry, eventually. The factories will no longer be in places with the cheapest labor, they'll be in places with the cheapest energy costs to run those robots, and where the base materials used to build these devices can be shipped to the cheapest.

Probably the case, but won't happen on a mass scale for years, if not decades. I could see robots taking over for certain processes at certain factories, but not for the majority of workz

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009

do tell more...

Pretty sure it's going to be exactly like Bladerunner, and you have to kill off/retire the robot before it find out about itself.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
10,000 robots at $20,000 a pop is $200,000,000 in robots. $200 million. That doesn't seem right...

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Probably the case, but won't happen on a mass scale for years, if not decades. I could see robots taking over for certain processes at certain factories, but not for the majority of workz

Like I said, it's inevitable. If your job can be automated eventually it will be automated. Maybe not this year, or the next year, but soon. It's something to keep in mind as you plan your career ;).

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Good. So they don't have to worry about workers shortage. Also, no more waiting time at new iPhone launches...

But if everybody can get one, that would be less fun for some people.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
... hence china will be the place where the most people who know how to service these robots live. less then the number of robots and jobs being replaced but certianly scaling upward as worldwide demand for fancy electronics scales with these new higher level employees wanting these devices instead of actually building them. in the future the center of manufacturing will reflect the locale with the least restrictive environmental regulations and business and export taxes.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
"each robot will be able to assemble an average of 30,000 devices"

During what period of time?

Is that 300,000 smartphones per day?

Is that 300,000 smartphones per week?

Is that 300,000 smartphones per year?

Is that 300,000 smartphones per lifetime of each robot?

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
Post-robots era: "OMG Apple is so inhuman by firing people and replacing them with robots"

Trust me.

Both statements are true. The answer is to pay workers a proper wage, not to fire them, not to make them work extended hours for little pay.

JOLoughlin

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2008
I remember awhile back this was suppose to happen sooner however the Chinese government slowed things down in fear of economic problems but one can't stop technological unemployment.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Why doesn't Apple get someone to build robots for a low staffed factory in the US? Own factory, less leaks...

(I guess there must still be a lot of manual steps...)

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007

Trust me.

Here you go....

----------

Oh yes, as long as you get your shiny new toy a bit quicker. Sod the workers who now don't get paid.:rolleyes:

Done. Just as predicted.

----------

Like I said, it's inevitable. If your job can be automated eventually it will be automated. Maybe not this year, or the next year, but soon. It's something to keep in mind as you plan your career ;).

Good point.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I guess you never really thought much of Samuel Clemens' writing style.

Mark Twain wasn't a tool.

----------

In before first robot suicide at Foxconn.

Wow. Could you be more tasteless?

In before someone in your family commits suicide.

----------

"each robot will be able to assemble an average of 30,000 devices"

During what period of time?

Is that 300,000 smartphones per day?

Is that 300,000 smartphones per week?

Is that 300,000 smartphones per year?

Is that 300,000 smartphones per lifetime of each robot?

One might assume 30,000 iPhone 6's period. I don't think that 25,000 robots are going to be assembling a total of 75 million iPhones per day. And since humans will be doing the rest....

Sometimes a little common sense precludes very silly questions.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Well.....

invested money....:D....Less people exploited in semi-slave factories in China...:mad:

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.