Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purple.roses

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
I just got my first iPad and it is the mini 2 generation retina 64 gigs. I don't know what to do with it?

What can I/should I do with it?

Is this a good investment?

I have 7.1.1 do I need to update the software

Is this the best iPad or should I take it back for a better one? I don't want ppl to be laughing at me saying my ipad is not as good as theirs or that it's the cheap one and I need to upgrade get a new one. My brother keep sayin I'm stupid for buying it and why would I get it but i don't know if he just saying it to make me mad or not. If so since this is still new would apple store let me trade it for another better one with a receipt as proof even though I bought it from another store

Is 64 gigs enough space to do stuff like photos? All I do is photos, maybe some songs, only card games and browse the web with many bookmarks and favorites.

How do I download apps for the iPad because I don't want apps for the iPhone.

Do you see this as just an iPhone? Because I already have had iphone already.

Someone said that I can't download colorful keyboards skins like on other tablets?

Is it true I can get internet on it when I don't have wifi like with a cell phone or would I have to get someone to tech person to open because I don't want to lost my warrenty?

Thank you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, if you're looking for investment advise, consumer electronics is a poor choice. The iPad is a great tool and toy, so you can enjoy it. I would not look at my iPad as something for me to invest money and expect a return on that.

7.1.2 is out there and you can update it.

Is this the best iPad or should I take it back for a better one?
There is no best iPad. You pick the model that best servers your needs. I prefer the rMini , others like the iPad Air. You buy what you need, not what other people think.

Is 64 gigs enough space to do stuff like photos? All I do is photos, maybe some songs, only card games and browse the web with many bookmarks and favorites.
That will be more then enough.

Use the app store and select iPad apps.

No, its a tablet and more useful

Is it true I can get internet on it when I don't have wifi like with a cell phone or would I have to get someone to tech person to open because I don't want to lost my warranty?
If you bought the cellular version then you can access the internet without wifi. If not then you're tied to wifi.

The bottom line, enjoy your iPad, explore what you can do, and see what apps that you like. :)

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida
I just got my first iPad and it is the mini 2 generation retina 64 gigs. I don't know what to do with it?

What can I/should I do with it?

Is this the best iPad or should I take it back for a better one? I don't want ppl to be laughing at me saying my ipad is not as good as theirs or that it's the cheap one and I need to upgrade get a new one. My brother keep sayin I'm stupid for buying it and why would I get it but i don't know if he just saying it to make me mad or not. If so since this is still new would apple store let me trade it for another better one with a receipt as proof even though I bought it from another store

Someone said that I can't download colorful keyboards skins like on other tablets?

Is it true I can get internet on it when I don't have wifi like with a cell phone or would I have to get someone to tech person to open because I don't want to lost my warrenty?

Thank you.

What Mike and Newton are telling you are all good advice. I would not worry about what anybody says to you about your choice. I have a an iPad Mini Retina 32 Gig WIFI only and will never change it if the next best thing comes out that I have to have, I will keep it or sell it but it is a very powerful device, I have a Zagg Smugeproof Screen protector on it and it still looks amazing so enjoy it.

As far as what to do with it, Download some apps and games if you are into it and have fun with it as I said.

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida
I do t think anybody would if you are talking full retail with cellular and WiFi because I would buy a. iPad 4with retina WiFI before a thing in the full size.

That is why. Ost people. Know or have an idea what they are going to use a device for or you just pass on it and get an inexpensive tablet or laptop and there are plenty of them if you do your homework.

Purple.roses

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Ok I dont understand why you have to be rude was just asking for help sorry I am not tech savvy as you all but moderator so I wont say anything else but thanks every one else for the help.

did not get cellular because the store did not notify us of that option but I wouldnt be able to afford to pay every month if I had it.

Are there any feature besides size that makes it different from iphone 5s.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Are there any feature besides size that makes it different from iphone 5s.

The software available is the major difference. The software made for the iPad is much different than the software made by the same company for an iPhone. You will see what I mean just by browsing the MacRoumors site using Safari. Just compare this post on both devices and you will see what I'm talking about.
Hope that helps, because to me, that is the only real difference is the screen real estate and the way the developers use it on both devices.

sdimas

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2014
USA

That is only for cellular versions.
However if you have a smart phone with a data plan you can find an app that let's you tether your cellular network to your tablet through wifi. However some carriers charge a fee for this and this will also consume your data just like it would on your phone.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
You should've have considered more, think about it, do you like the screen size of the mini 2? is 64gb enough for your needs? and so on. But in my opinion you did one heck of a choice, the mini 2 is a wonderful tablet and powerfull, just like the ipad air. You can play high end games, it has that gorgeous retina display. With ios 8 you can get any keyboard you want but that's pretty much it. The ipad mini 2, along with the ipad air, is the best tablet right now in the world. So yeah... you did a great choice buying it, and yes, it is just like an iphone. So the next time, if your brother tells you anything bad about this gorgeous piece of tech, tell him to wrap his opinion, lubricate it and very gently shove it in his rectum.:cool:

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Apple store proximity?

If you are near an Apple store and have the time why not take an iPad Apple Workshop if available within the next 10 days? Remember you have a 14 day window in which to decide whether or not you like it and wish to keep it or not for ANY reason.
Excellent points made by the moderator.
In my opinion you have made an excellent choice and your brother could not be more wrong, again in my opinion. It is a fantastic mobile machine and easily upgradable when necessary.
Relax and ENJOY!

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I agree, the workshop offered by Apple is geared for folks like yourself.. Just starting out. It would be great for you to attend. You would learn many useful things - I hope you get the chance!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.